Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for those who have lost a spouse and need support or who can provide support to those who have.

Saint Paula is the patron saint of widows and Saint Stephen is the patron saint of deacons
Learn More: Saint Stephen and Saint Paula

Friendship/Platonic love ?

Aug 17th 2013 new
My husband died six years ago. Since then I was in and out of CM. I cancelled my subscription because I was thinking, I'm too old for this ( I'm 78) and I should be focusing on becoming more holy to prepare for my last trip.

However, something really good happened that made me come back to CM. I although no longer a CM member, I joined the CM event, CRIreland2013 last July. I didn't know anybody but was encouraged to join because of the favorable comments about the organizers Tracy and Liam O'dwyer.

To make a long story short, I had a most wonderful trip. Everybody in the group became friends. There were some problems but on the whole we were like a huge family travelling together and having fun. (Including pub hopping in Dublin). I was, of course, the oldest in a diverse group but we were lilke a family, teasing each other, annoying each other. LOL.

But here's the thing. There was only one single man surrounded by 18 single women! But the point is, we were having a great time. We became friends. Some of us plan to be together again in another trip.

So, I'm wondering, in a family spirit, can we just have fun and be friends with whoever wants to get in touch with us and not cancel each other because he or she does not "qualify". Of course one has to make clear where he or she wants the relationship to go.

What are your thoughts on this?
Aug 18th 2013 new
Absolutely! Friends, communication, sharing, supporting! I believe that is what it is all about. I would love a trip to Ireland :0)
Aug 20th 2013 new
(quote) Terry-963699 said: Absolutely! Friends, communication, sharing, supporting! I believe that is what it is all about. I would love a trip to Ireland :0)
Terry,

Exactly! The CM website, I think is the best place online for this. However, As much as I'm excited about the idea, I wonder in reality how it would work as there are a lot of factors: One, how many ( especially among men) would take time to develop a relationship which is purely for friendship?
A younger friend told me not too long ago that at work, a lot of her friends are practicing what is called "friends with benefits". Is friendship with no strings attached out of fashion now?

Fina

Aug 21st 2013 new
Great comments!
CM events usually turn out like that: instant friends, and many lasting contacts now that you've met in real life.
Sadly, CM events usually turn out with that kind of female-to-male ratio, too. WHERE ARE THE GUYS? eyebrow
Aug 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:
Sadly, CM events usually turn out with that kind of female-to-male ratio, too. WHERE ARE THE GUYS?
Right, Marge, where are the guys? Are they scared? C'mon, guys, are you scared?
Aug 27th 2013 new
(quote) Fina-878729 said:  A younger friend told me not too long ago that at work, a lot of her friends are practicing what is called "friends with benefits". Is friendship with no strings attached out of fashion now?

Too MUCH in fashion, I'm afraid. "No strings attached" (aka NSA) and "friends with benefits" both mean, sleeping together for the sake of the sex, with no other purpose to the relationship.
Aug 27th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: Too MUCH in fashion, I'm afraid. "No strings attached" (aka NSA) and "friends with benefits" both mean, sleeping together for the sake of the sex, with no other purpose to the relationship.
Oh my goodness, how nuances in meanig change! Thanks for enlightening an old woman, Marge. So, what does "friends" really mean now? How do Catholics in the workplace handle this situation? (All my life I worked in Catholic Schools). Practically all profiles in CM says "Yes" to the Church teaching on pre-marital sex. So, I suppose on this "current fashion" the Catholic singles are considered "out of fashion"?
How do they compete in the dating game? My young friend said to her "friend" who suggested to have the friend's benefit, "Not in your dreams". lol Pretty clever reply, I might say. But she's not getting any date. I'm not implying anything, just wondering.
Aug 27th 2013 new
As a recent widow who was happily married, I would be in culture shock if it wasn't for my teens updating me to world around. I can't believe how many so called good Catholic men infer to friendship to a sexual intent. Thanks for your sharing on the subject and insights.
Aug 28th 2013 new
New to this...
on CM, how do you let someone kindly know that you are not interested?
Aug 30th 2013 new
(quote) Monica-1001026 said: As a recent widow who was happily married, I would be in culture shock if it wasn't for my teens updating me to world around. I can't believe how many so called good Catholic men infer to friendship to a sexual intent. Thanks for your sharing on the subject and insights.
You are most welcome, Monica. I suppose there are still a lot of good Catholic men who are true to their Catholic beliefs and teachings. However, it is easy to see that in a culture where casual sex is socially acceptable, it is hard specially for single Catholics for both male and female not to compromisse.
Posts 1 - 10 of 29