Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

What does it mean to you when you think of the phrase, "Be true to yourself."?

Does it mean follow your emotions no matter where they lead you?

I've noticed that the more one seeks to please God, and the more they pray daily, the more they are true to themselves by obedience to God. No matter how real it feels to someone who is a habitual sinner, that sin is actually covering up who we were meant to be by God's grace in Baptism. Sin destroys that, or at least, if it is a venial sin, or even a forgiven sin because we need to do restitution as the effects of sin remain, sin damages us. The more we grow in grace and virtue, however, the more our true selves in Christ by Baptism is revealed.

We can brain wash ourselves by bad music, bad shows, bad company, etc., but in the end, Jesus is still living Truth, Truth Incarnate. And the more we are like him through holy obedience, the more we are true to ourselves, as creatures of God who are to be sons and daughters of Him by our Baptismal graces.

We are true to ourselves only in so far as we are true to Christ in holy obedience to the Father's Commandments, by the graces of the God the Holy Ghost.

Where ever we have a hard time, we must always turn immediately to the Blessed Virgin Mother, whose prayers on our behalf will be perfect and bring us more readily and in greater abundance the graces we need to overcome our vices.

BE TRUE TO YOURSELF; BE TRUE TO JESUS CHRIST.
Aug 20 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said:

BE TRUE TO YOURSELF; BE TRUE TO JESUS CHRIST.
Lynea,

Everything you said was excellent, but this is the key point and you nailed it. The only way to be true to ourselves is to be true to Christ, because that is what we are made for!
Aug 22 new
Not to sound like a Protestant minister, but can I get an Amen?!!!

i have tried the worldly be true to myself. Can I say disaster? Only by doing the Will of the Father can I ever be true to myself and Happy.
Aug 22 new
Interesting ideas.

My take is, "Be true to yourself" = "Sometimes it pays to be selfish". That is, looking out for your own well-being (spiritual, moral, mental, financial) sometimes is a better way to go than being led through a false notion of charity, crusading spirit, or guilt into activities, places, or associations that in the end will not benefit us.

Aug 23 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: Interesting ideas.

My take is, "Be true to yourself" = "Sometimes it pays to be selfish". That is, looking out for your own well-being (spiritual, moral, mental, financial) sometimes is a better way to go than being led through a false notion of charity, crusading spirit, or guilt into activities, places, or associations that in the end will not benefit us.

Our end, as Christians, should always be recognized as Christ; if we really wish to one day be united by him, we must want to emulate him. Your desires, therefore, should be oriented to him and not to self, and light of the 4 eschatological realities. In that way, we are less likely to be "guilt" into doing something that hurts us, at least not knowingly. We should feel guilty if what we are contemplating is sinful, not how well it pleases our desires that are disordered. If they are rightly ordered disordered, we need not feel guilt, but if they are selfish and out of vice, then that guilt is a consequence of still having some rightly formed concsience. We shouldn't want our conscience to be darkened by self-inclinations. People even do things for others out of the wrong reasons and then say it is for God, when it is really out of their pride and sometimes, even out of manipulation. For example, it's never right to lie, fornicate, even if you are doing some charitable act(s) as well.

I wonder, do many Catholic have any idea what happens if they commit a mortal sin? As for the intellect, it is darkened against whatever virtue they sinned against. For example, things like I used as an example earlier: sins of the flesh like fornication and lust, or sins of lying, those things are against charity. So one who has committed a mortal sin against charity and either hasn't gone to Confession or didn't have the fruits of Confession (it wasn't valid due to some lack, usually on the part of the person confessing not having contrition, firm purpose of amendment, etc.) they will still have darkened their intellect against making decisions according to God's holy Will in the virtue of charity. The same is true for all the virtues, but I think it's best to start this consideration with the theological virtues, and so I mention first charity.

If a person thinks he or she will convert someone and therefore, they ought to court them (I've known a friend who did this), and that person they think they are saving is committing a manifest mortal sin (in this case, the person was a Baptised Catholic, and still married in the eyes of the Church and God, dating that person is just going to scandalize them even further away from the truth.

Another example along those lines is to try to convince someone who is out of the Church to come back by company-keeping with them in ways that are unnecessary near occasions of sin.... which is never ok.

We ought to always be prudent in our decisions, but prudence is rightly ordered not to self-inclinations, but to God.
Aug 23 new
clarifications: I meant, in my last comment, that our actions should not be self-inclined to our own will, but to God's will. Of course, if we are already saints, then our wills are already united to His, but other than that...
Aug 23 new
One aspect of this topic resonates with me. Boundaries are a very good thing. Knowing and respecting your boundaries is a very healthy thing(and so is doing the same for the boundaries of others). When we are aware of our boundaries we nurture ourselves and our souls.
Aug 23 new
(quote) John-34848 said: One aspect of this topic resonates with me. Boundaries are a very good thing. Knowing and respecting your boundaries is a very healthy thing(and so is doing the same for the boundaries of others). When we are aware of our boundaries we nurture ourselves and our souls.
theheart John,

I agree that keeping healthy boundaries (as learned by Church Teachings and personal) is one of the most loving things we can do for God, ourselves and our loved ones. It speaks of who we are, how we wish to be treated and how we wish to treat others. There is also a learning curve here, as we get to know God's Will, ourselves and others more intimately. Healthy consistent boundaries show we sincerely care about the well being of our relationship --it takes three. It takes practice like anything else, and even mistakes-but loving God in obedience somehow naturally helps rightly ordered boundaries to develop and be kept. This is authentic love to love oneself as thy neighbor.

Pace e Bene Praying ,
Lisa

Aug 23 new
(quote) Lisa-933589 said: John,

I agree that keeping healthy boundaries (as learned by Church Teachings and personal) is one of the most loving things we can do for God, ourselves and our loved ones. It speaks of who we are, how we wish to be treated and how we wish to treat others. There is also a learning curve here, as we get to know God's Will, ourselves and others more intimately. Healthy consistent boundaries show we sincerely care about the well being of our relationship --it takes three. It takes practice like anything else, and even mistakes-but loving God in obedience somehow naturally helps rightly ordered boundaries to develop and be kept. This is authentic love to love oneself as thy neighbor.

Pace e Bene ,
Lisa

Ditto what Lisa said. One's boundaries has to be rooted in truth... relating to both natural moral law and Divine law. One has to have, for instance, a sound appreciation for the dignity of man, not from a utilitarianist point of view, and an adherence and apppreciation and a true understanding of the Sacraments
Aug 23 new
I've always thought that it meant to know oneself, and then not stray from those beliefs and behaviors. Simply put, by not betraying yourself you grow stronger.
Posts 1 - 10 of 11