Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Why Work ?

Aug 20th 2013 new
The current Administration namely Obama is making disincentive to work . This has been going on for long time but totally on the increase to a point in cannot sustained . Welfare pays more then work .work ethic self reliance is thing of the past . they are using such tactics such as free seed to hook individuals on Government assistance along with making soap opera to specific groups . Jim Vicevich wtic sound off CT .


When welfare pays better than work By MICHAEL TANNER Last Updated: 10:30 PM, August 18, 2013 Posted: 10:14 PM, August 18, 2013 Michael Tanner Heres an offer for you: $38,004 per year, tax free.No work required.Apply at your local welfare office. was article that came out today including other postings .


The federal government funds 126 separate programs targeted towards low-income people, 72 of which provide either cash or in-kind benefits to individuals. (The rest fund community-wide programs for low-income neighborhoods, with no direct benefits to individuals.) State and local governments operate more welfare programs.Of course, no individual or family gets benefits from all 72 programs, but many do get aid from a number of them at any point in time. Today, the Cato institute is releasing a new study looking at the state-by-state value of welfare for a mother with two children. In the Empire State, a family receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, public housing, utility assistance and free commodities (like milk and cheese) would have a package of benefits worth $38,004, the seventh-highest in the nation. While that might not sound overly generous, remember that welfare benefits arent taxed, while wages are. So someone in New York would have to earn more than $21 per hour to be better off than they would be on welfare.Thats more than the average statewide entry-level salary for a teacher. Plus, going to work means added costs such as paying for child care, transportation and clothing.Not to mention that, even if its not a money-loser, a person moving from welfare to work will see some form of loss namely, less time for leisure as opposed to work. Is it any wonder, then, that, despite the work requirements included in the 1996 welfare reform, only 27.6 percent of adult welfare recipients in New York are working in unsubsidized jobs?(Another 13 percent are involved in the more broadly defined work participation, which includes job search, training and other things.) Welfare is slightly more generous in Connecticut, where benefits are worth $38,761; a person leaving welfare for work would have to earn $21.33 per hour to be better off.And in New Jersey, a worker would have to make $20.89 to beat welfare. Nationwide, our study found that the wage-equivalent value of benefits for a mother and two children ranged from a high of $60,590 in Hawaii to a low of $11,150 in Idaho. In 33 states and the District of Columbia, welfare pays more than an $8-an-hour job. In 12 states and DC, the welfare package is more generous than a $15-an-hour job. Of course, not everyone on welfare gets all seven of the benefits in our study. But, for many recipients particularly the long-term dependents welfare clearly pays substantially more than an entry-level job. To be clear: There is no evidence that people on welfare are lazy. Indeed, surveys of them consistently show their desire for a job. But theyre also not stupid. If you pay them more not to work than they can earn by working, many will choose not to work. While this makes sense for them in the short term, it may actually hurt them over the long term. One of the most important steps toward avoiding or getting out of poverty is a job.Only 2.6 percent of full-time workers are poor, vs. 23.9 percent of adults who dont work. And, while many anti-poverty activists decry low-wage jobs, even starting at a minimum-wage job can be a springboard out of poverty. Thus, by providing such generous welfare payments, we may actually not be helping recipients. There should be a public-policy preference for work over welfare. And while it would be nice to raise the wages of entry-level service workers, government has no ability to do so. (Studies have shown that attempts to mandate wage increases, such as minimum-wage hikes, primarily result in higher unemployment for the lowest-skilled workers.) If Congress and state legislatures are serious about reducing welfare dependence and rewarding work, they should consider strengthening work requirements in welfare programs, removing exemptions and narrowing the definition of work. In New York, lawmakers should consider ways to shrink the gap between the value of welfare and work by reducing current benefit levels and tightening eligibility requirements.


Aug 20th 2013 new
I know people need help but this has gone to far .What happens when it gives out . This administration is not very friendly to religious groups . Welfare pays more then work a family of three live on 38 thousand a year tax free . Thats the average .when this dam breaks all will suffer including those who lost there self reliance . the work ethic is no more .
Aug 21st 2013 new

Have you ever been on welfare or depended on the Government for food on your table or a roof over your head? Its not all champagne and roses. Its more like a drug. They give you enough to get you hooked and dont give you any help if you want to get off it. These are all government programs designed and run by people that have never walked the walk but yet have all the answers.

Aug 21st 2013 new
(quote) Michael-556947 said: The current Administration namely Obama is making disincentive to work . This has been going on for long time but totally on the increase to a point in cannot sustained . Welfare pays more then work .work ethic self reliance is thing of the past . they are using such tactics such as free seed to hook individuals on Government assistance along with making soap opera to specific groups . Jim Vicevich wtic sound off CT .


When welfare pays better than work By MICHAEL TANNER Last Updated: 10:30 PM, August 18, 2013 Posted: 10:14 PM, August 18, 2013 Michael Tanner Heres an offer for you: $38,004 per year, tax free.No work required.Apply at your local welfare office. was article that came out today including other postings .


The federal government funds 126 separate programs targeted towards low-income people, 72 of which provide either cash or in-kind benefits to individuals. (The rest fund community-wide programs for low-income neighborhoods, with no direct benefits to individuals.) State and local governments operate more welfare programs.Of course, no individual or family gets benefits from all 72 programs, but many do get aid from a number of them at any point in time. Today, the Cato institute is releasing a new study looking at the state-by-state value of welfare for a mother with two children. In the Empire State, a family receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, public housing, utility assistance and free commodities (like milk and cheese) would have a package of benefits worth $38,004, the seventh-highest in the nation. While that might not sound overly generous, remember that welfare benefits arent taxed, while wages are. So someone in New York would have to earn more than $21 per hour to be better off than they would be on welfare.Thats more than the average statewide entry-level salary for a teacher. Plus, going to work means added costs such as paying for child care, transportation and clothing.Not to mention that, even if its not a money-loser, a person moving from welfare to work will see some form of loss namely, less time for leisure as opposed to work. Is it any wonder, then, that, despite the work requirements included in the 1996 welfare reform, only 27.6 percent of adult welfare recipients in New York are working in unsubsidized jobs?(Another 13 percent are involved in the more broadly defined work participation, which includes job search, training and other things.) Welfare is slightly more generous in Connecticut, where benefits are worth $38,761; a person leaving welfare for work would have to earn $21.33 per hour to be better off.And in New Jersey, a worker would have to make $20.89 to beat welfare. Nationwide, our study found that the wage-equivalent value of benefits for a mother and two children ranged from a high of $60,590 in Hawaii to a low of $11,150 in Idaho. In 33 states and the District of Columbia, welfare pays more than an $8-an-hour job. In 12 states and DC, the welfare package is more generous than a $15-an-hour job. Of course, not everyone on welfare gets all seven of the benefits in our study. But, for many recipients particularly the long-term dependents welfare clearly pays substantially more than an entry-level job. To be clear: There is no evidence that people on welfare are lazy. Indeed, surveys of them consistently show their desire for a job. But theyre also not stupid. If you pay them more not to work than they can earn by working, many will choose not to work. While this makes sense for them in the short term, it may actually hurt them over the long term. One of the most important steps toward avoiding or getting out of poverty is a job.Only 2.6 percent of full-time workers are poor, vs. 23.9 percent of adults who dont work. And, while many anti-poverty activists decry low-wage jobs, even starting at a minimum-wage job can be a springboard out of poverty. Thus, by providing such generous welfare payments, we may actually not be helping recipients. There should be a public-policy preference for work over welfare. And while it would be nice to raise the wages of entry-level service workers, government has no ability to do so. (Studies have shown that attempts to mandate wage increases, such as minimum-wage hikes, primarily result in higher unemployment for the lowest-skilled workers.) If Congress and state legislatures are serious about reducing welfare dependence and rewarding work, they should consider strengthening work requirements in welfare programs, removing exemptions and narrowing the definition of work. In New York, lawmakers should consider ways to shrink the gap between the value of welfare and work by reducing current benefit levels and tightening eligibility requirements.


Wow, 47 years working for a living, when I could have been a professional slacker. I actually have a neighbor who's on 100% disability from an "accident" he had in an Army vehicle. I've seen him put a new roof on his house and build a deck. He once asked me to help him carry a heavy display case into his basement. Another neighbor happened to be renewing his driver's license and saw the slacker neighbor cruising in on his wheelchair. He walks his big dog past my house every day, and in 23 years I've yet to see him in his wheelchair.
Aug 21st 2013 new
(quote) Kate-806727 said:

Have you ever been on welfare or depended on the Government for food on your table or a roof over your head? Its not all champagne and roses. Its more like a drug. They give you enough to get you hooked and dont give you any help if you want to get off it. These are all government programs designed and run by people that have never walked the walk but yet have all the answers.

If help were given to people who have episodic needs in their lives, then
that is one thing. To have professional takers from Uncle Sam goes
beyond charity. That transcends into the realm of stealing.
Aug 21st 2013 new
It's these people that give welfare and disability a bad rap. I had a handicapped parking permit when I was 21. you wouldn't believe the dirty looks I would get when I used it. I had surgery on both my feet at the same time. I spend more than a week crawling around on my hands and knees just to use the bathroom It was hard for me to walk long distances. I didn't abuse the parking permit, but it was something I needed for a short time to help me get by. Plenty of people, by looking at me, thought I was able bodied, but that's not always the whole story.

I am also the recipient of some of the government programs. If you know where I can find a job, any job that works with the fact that I only have child care from 7am until 6 with friends occasionally able to help out until 7pm, I'm all for it. What I receive from the government doesn't help with my mortgage and only puts a little food on the table. There was a period where the cook at the school I worked in would sneak leftovers to me because she knew I wasn't making ends meet. I got offered a job but I had to start at 7am about 20 minutes away. They were not willing to work with me. I've applied to all the big box stores, many smaller retail stores along with jobs in my field. Retail wants you available every weekend and evenings. Especially with my custody not being final, this short term job could cause me to loose full custody of my son. Chances are slim, but still, not a chance I want to take.

As for jobs in my field, I'm between two levels. People don't want to hire me for the lesser job because they know that I want to be a step up, but I'm not qualified for the step up. This was basically told to me in my last interview. You either do A or B. In the time I've been here, no one has ever moved up. I've gone to temp agencies and the last job I found through them required me to work OT in the evening and be available every weekend with no insurance which is something my son has through the state. I spend anywhere from 5-8 hours a day looking for work and applying for jobs. The damn applicant tracking systems make it really hard for me to get a foot in the door because the "computer" doesn't think I'm qualified. Give me a chance and I'll prove the computer wrong. Just because I don't have 3-5 years of experience with that particular title doesn't mean I can't do the job. With more and more employers moving to electronic applications, qualified people are not making the cut because they are not the picture perfect candidate. I have only once gotten a call about a job I applied for through an on-line application and that was only because I checked the right boxes.

There are plenty of people that abuse the system. I know that, I've seen it. They get away with it because no one wants to say anything. If you know that your neighbor is able-bodied and showing up in a wheelchair and you don't say anything, I don't feel you have a right to complain about it. I am a firm believer that if you are not willing to do anything about it, you have no right to complain about it. I don't think you were complaining about your neighbor, but there are plenty of people that do and this is why people continue to abuse the system, because they can. People can live off the government, but is that really the life you would want for yourself or kids? It's a drug. once they have you hooked, it's hard to get back on the right track.

Sorry for the rant. This is a subject that is a little close to home.
Aug 21st 2013 new
(quote) Kate-806727 said: It's these people that give welfare and disability a bad rap. I had a handicapped parking permit when I was 21. you wouldn't believe the dirty looks I would get when I used it. I had surgery on both my feet at the same time. I spend more than a week crawling around on my hands and knees just to use the bathroom It was hard for me to walk long distances. I didn't abuse the parking permit, but it was something I needed for a short time to help me get by. Plenty of people, by looking at me, thought I was able bodied, but that's not always the whole story.

I am also the recipient of some of the government programs. If you know where I can find a job, any job that works with the fact that I only have child care from 7am until 6 with friends occasionally able to help out until 7pm, I'm all for it. What I receive from the government doesn't help with my mortgage and only puts a little food on the table. There was a period where the cook at the school I worked in would sneak leftovers to me because she knew I wasn't making ends meet. I got offered a job but I had to start at 7am about 20 minutes away. They were not willing to work with me. I've applied to all the big box stores, many smaller retail stores along with jobs in my field. Retail wants you available every weekend and evenings. Especially with my custody not being final, this short term job could cause me to loose full custody of my son. Chances are slim, but still, not a chance I want to take.

As for jobs in my field, I'm between two levels. People don't want to hire me for the lesser job because they know that I want to be a step up, but I'm not qualified for the step up. This was basically told to me in my last interview. You either do A or B. In the time I've been here, no one has ever moved up. I've gone to temp agencies and the last job I found through them required me to work OT in the evening and be available every weekend with no insurance which is something my son has through the state. I spend anywhere from 5-8 hours a day looking for work and applying for jobs. The damn applicant tracking systems make it really hard for me to get a foot in the door because the "computer" doesn't think I'm qualified. Give me a chance and I'll prove the computer wrong. Just because I don't have 3-5 years of experience with that particular title doesn't mean I can't do the job. With more and more employers moving to electronic applications, qualified people are not making the cut because they are not the picture perfect candidate. I have only once gotten a call about a job I applied for through an on-line application and that was only because I checked the right boxes.

There are plenty of people that abuse the system. I know that, I've seen it. They get away with it because no one wants to say anything. If you know that your neighbor is able-bodied and showing up in a wheelchair and you don't say anything, I don't feel you have a right to complain about it. I am a firm believer that if you are not willing to do anything about it, you have no right to complain about it. I don't think you were complaining about your neighbor, but there are plenty of people that do and this is why people continue to abuse the system, because they can. People can live off the government, but is that really the life you would want for yourself or kids? It's a drug. once they have you hooked, it's hard to get back on the right track.

Sorry for the rant. This is a subject that is a little close to home.
Unfortunately, Kate, you are going through a rough patch with a divorce
pending and a broken economy to boot.

There are so many people with the same problem as yours. If there weren't
so many illegals in this country, taking food stamps and medical benefits and
using the schools and Americans' resources that all of us have to pay for,
your situation would have been taken more seriously by those doling out
the funds.

Many people have been poor or are poor. It is not an easy road especially
when you have mouths to feed. You have a lot of courage.



I hope that things work out for you in the long run.
Aug 21st 2013 new
(quote) Kate-806727 said: It's these people that give welfare and disability a bad rap. I had a handicapped parking permit when I was 21. you wouldn't believe the dirty looks I would get when I used it. I had surgery on both my feet at the same time. I spend more than a week crawling around on my hands and knees just to use the bathroom It was hard for me to walk long distances. I didn't abuse the parking permit, but it was something I needed for a short time to help me get by. Plenty of people, by looking at me, thought I was able bodied, but that's not always the whole story.

I am also the recipient of some of the government programs. If you know where I can find a job, any job that works with the fact that I only have child care from 7am until 6 with friends occasionally able to help out until 7pm, I'm all for it. What I receive from the government doesn't help with my mortgage and only puts a little food on the table. There was a period where the cook at the school I worked in would sneak leftovers to me because she knew I wasn't making ends meet. I got offered a job but I had to start at 7am about 20 minutes away. They were not willing to work with me. I've applied to all the big box stores, many smaller retail stores along with jobs in my field. Retail wants you available every weekend and evenings. Especially with my custody not being final, this short term job could cause me to loose full custody of my son. Chances are slim, but still, not a chance I want to take.

As for jobs in my field, I'm between two levels. People don't want to hire me for the lesser job because they know that I want to be a step up, but I'm not qualified for the step up. This was basically told to me in my last interview. You either do A or B. In the time I've been here, no one has ever moved up. I've gone to temp agencies and the last job I found through them required me to work OT in the evening and be available every weekend with no insurance which is something my son has through the state. I spend anywhere from 5-8 hours a day looking for work and applying for jobs. The damn applicant tracking systems make it really hard for me to get a foot in the door because the "computer" doesn't think I'm qualified. Give me a chance and I'll prove the computer wrong. Just because I don't have 3-5 years of experience with that particular title doesn't mean I can't do the job. With more and more employers moving to electronic applications, qualified people are not making the cut because they are not the picture perfect candidate. I have only once gotten a call about a job I applied for through an on-line application and that was only because I checked the right boxes.

There are plenty of people that abuse the system. I know that, I've seen it. They get away with it because no one wants to say anything. If you know that your neighbor is able-bodied and showing up in a wheelchair and you don't say anything, I don't feel you have a right to complain about it. I am a firm believer that if you are not willing to do anything about it, you have no right to complain about it. I don't think you were complaining about your neighbor, but there are plenty of people that do and this is why people continue to abuse the system, because they can. People can live off the government, but is that really the life you would want for yourself or kids? It's a drug. once they have you hooked, it's hard to get back on the right track.

Sorry for the rant. This is a subject that is a little close to home.
Kate, a number of years ago several of us did report him, but it got nowhere. He is very good at scamming the system. I cannot begin to know the struggles you are going through, but about thirty years ago when my kids were little I lost my job. My wife was making little more than minimum wage, and for about six months we were on public assistance. With kids to feed you do what you can. One of the biggest mistakes we all are sometimes guilty of is lumping people into categories, jumping to conclusions. I have to fight that tendency in myself.
You have my prayers. theheart
Aug 21st 2013 new
my disabled son get welfare........actually called pwd [persons with disability]
and we search endlessly to find ways to top this up because he is 7 to 10 days
without every month......he now has a part time supported job sweeping
so has groceries all month now...........

probably this is not the point of this thread but I totally agree
with this topic.............in our small town.......the recipients
standing to collect when we need to use the office have expensive phones
look suspiciously like they could be working
Aug 21st 2013 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: my disabled son get welfare........actually called pwd [persons with disability]
and we search endlessly to find ways to top this up because he is 7 to 10 days
without every month......he now has a part time supported job sweeping
so has groceries all month now...........

probably this is not the point of this thread but I totally agree
with this topic.............in our small town.......the recipients
standing to collect when we need to use the office have expensive phones
look suspiciously like they could be working
Plenty of Government money is going for cell phones. Since when does a
person need a cell phone as a necessity. If it really is an emergency,
there are plenty of people around who have them and will lend them to
you.

That has happened to me many times and I offered to pay to make a call.
Every time the person said that I did not have to pay them.
Posts 1 - 10 of 19