Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of prayer life, posting prayers of the Church and prayer requests.

Saint Jude is the patron saint of lost causes and desperate situations.
Learn more: Saint Jude

Aug 24th 2013 new
Lynea, Thank You for your prayers... God Bless xox
Aug 24th 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: I never understood how someone who is an adult can make excuses for abusing another person deliberately just because they themselves were abused. They still have free will even with mental illness, so I just don't get it. But yes, we ought to still pray for everyone who has suffered from any kind of abuse at any time.
Someone who suffers from a deep pathological disorder is often so controlled by their disordered state of mind that they are not fully free to choose a different course of action. That isn't to say that one who is mentally disordered is never morally responsible for their actions, just that there is a whole spectrum between being fully free and being fully a slave to one's disorders.
Aug 24th 2013 new
James, Thank You... all involved need our prayers xo
Aug 24th 2013 new
(quote) James-870182 said: Someone who suffers from a deep pathological disorder is often so controlled by their disordered state of mind that they are not fully free to choose a different course of action. That isn't to say that one who is mentally disordered is never morally responsible for their actions, just that there is a whole spectrum between being fully free and being fully a slave to one's disorders.
But therein lies a secular, "Chicken and the Egg" scenario, as a person becomes a slave to sin by habit, and that is one of the ways that the passions become more and more provoked to the vice and concupiscence. I understand that there are ranges of intellect but truth and grace order the will, and higher truths are well, higher, so it is possible for even a person with a greater natural tendency to disorder to, by supernatural grace, consistently choose the good over evil. Even reason itself can be illuminated by grace simply because it comes from God who is all powerful, and grace illuminates, directs, and transforms.

Take, for example, an intelligent person who happens to have a personality disorder, like PDST from a war. They may know they have certain inclination that are disordered. This illness has chemical triggers, but it also has external triggers. All right, so, eventually he learns that there are certain triggers externally, and that he needs to avoid overindulging --- because it leads to other vices of dissipation. He learns to not hang out with people who are careless in their conversation, lest he become more likely exposed to something that reminds him of an experience in the war. He avoids alcohol, and those who abuse it, and movies that glamorize it, etc. and have great violence. This greatly minimizes his chances of having another episode, or whatever they are called. I've known a few people who were in Vietnam that had to do these things, so I think this is a good example of what I'm trying to say.

Many things that used to be considered moral evils are now broadly excused as the norm and are even lauded to have special rights. This is the direction of our society, which makes so many excuses that it blurs the lines between right and wrong. I'm not saying that people with these problems shouldn't be helped, etc. Many of us have gone through various levels of long-term stress, anxiety, depression, etc., which is exacerbated when we are isolated, as many people tend to be in this day and age, where people in general are increasingly becoming motivated by fear and a lack of gratitude to God for both spiritual and temporal goods. I don't believe we ought to judge others as to their condition (Concern is never wrong though) however, I don't believe that each person should make excuses for their own conditions, whether it be physical or emotional setbacks, and become slaves first to spiritual sloth and presumption before slaves while giving in or more deeply ingraining their wills to the disordered passions.

Aug 24th 2013 new
Lynea,

Any and all prayers are greatly appreciated, for all of God's children... Bless you !
Aug 30th 2013 new
Thank you James
Posts 31 - 36 of 36