Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Oct 15th 2013 new
Yes they are human and so are the priests - all put their jeans on the same way....one leg at a time! wink
Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-730726 said: This is the first Saint I can remember hearing about who convinced me they (Saints) were just human beings like ourselves....albeit extraordinary ones....but still human beings.
Beautiful saint! Yes, we all are invited to holiness...
Like one priest told that we don't know yet how many gospels we'll see in heaven- eg gospel according to Ginger, Jerry, Ieva or Greta wink
Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Ginger-1000674 said: Yes they are human and so are the priests - all put their jeans on the same way....one leg at a time!
True! wink
Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-730726 said: This is the first Saint I can remember hearing about who convinced me they (Saints) were just human beings like ourselves....albeit extraordinary ones....but still human beings.
That is a good one. Just like when Mother Teresa said something to the effect of, I know there is nothing that the Lord and I cannot handle but sometimes I wish He would trust me so much!
Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Jim-13836 said: That is a good one. Just like when Mother Teresa said something to the effect of, I know there is nothing that the Lord and I cannot handle but sometimes I wish He would trust me so much!
Jim....LOL!
I had someone close to me die of cancer years ago. This lady was very exemplary....reciting the rosary every day, attending daily Mass....and had tons of generosity.
When she was nearing the end....she said to me: "Jerry, I'm not afraid to die. I just wish He (God) would get on with it!"
I thought....what confidence.....and a sense of humor to the end!
Sorry Ginger....back to the Saints!
Oct 16th 2013 new
Yay!!!!!! Happy Feast Day!!! Happy Birthday!

Let nothing disturb thee; Let nothing dismay thee; All thing pass; God never changes. Patience attains All that it strives for. He who has God Finds he lacks nothing:God alone suffices.
St. Teresa of Avila

Oct 16th 2013 new
(quote) Vanessa-964012 said: Yay!!!!!! Happy Feast Day!!!

Let nothing disturb thee; Let nothing dismay thee; All thing pass; God never changes. Patience attains All that it strives for. He who has God Finds he lacks nothing:God alone suffices.
St. Teresa of Avila

Ahh..what a beautiful prayer, thanks Vanessa smile angelSo reassuring and comforting . rose
Oct 16th 2013 new
Catholic saints are holy people and human people who lived extraordinary lives. Each saint the Church honors responded to God's invitation to use his or her unique gifts. God calls each one of us to be a saint.
Oct 16th 2013 new
October 16
St. Marguerite dYouville - (1701-1771)

We learn compassion from allowing our lives to be influenced by compassionate people, by seeing life from their perspective and reconsidering our own values.

Born in Varennes, Canada, Marie Marguerite Dufrost de Lajemmerais had to interrupt her schooling at the age of 12 to help her widowed mother. Eight years later she married Francois d'Youville; they had six children, four of whom died young. Despite the fact that her husband gambled, sold liquor illegally to Native Americans and treated her indifferently, she cared for him compassionately before his death in 1730.

Even though she was caring for two small children and running a store to help pay off her husband's debts, Marguerite still helped the poor. Once her children were grown, she and several companions rescued a Quebec hospital that was in danger of failing. She called her community the Institute of the Sisters of Charity of Montreal; the people called them the "Grey Nuns" because of the color of their habit. In time, a proverb arose among the poor people of Montreal, "Go to the Grey Nuns; they never refuse to serve." In time, five other religious communities traced their roots to the Grey Nuns.

The General Hospital in Montreal became known as the Hotel Dieu (House of God) and set a standard for medical care and Christian compassion. When the hospital was destroyed by fire in 1766, she knelt in the ashes, led the Te Deum (a hymn to God's providence in all circumstances) and began the rebuilding process. She fought the attempts of government officials to restrain her charity and established the first foundling home in North America.

Blessed John XXIII, who beatified her in 1959, called her the "Mother of Universal Charity." She was canonized in 1990.

Oct 17th 2013 new
October 17
St. Ignatius of Antioch - (d. 107?)

Born in Syria, Ignatius converted to Christianity and eventually became bishop of Antioch. In the year 107, Emperor Trajan visited Antioch and forced the Christians there to choose between death and apostasy. Ignatius would not deny Christ and thus was condemned to be put to death in Rome.

Ignatius is well known for the seven letters he wrote on the long journey from Antioch to Rome. Five of these letters are to Churches in Asia Minor; they urge the Christians there to remain faithful to God and to obey their superiors. He warns them against heretical doctrines, providing them with the solid truths of the Christian faith.

The sixth letter was to Polycarp, bishop of Smyrna, who was later martyred for the faith. The final letter begs the Christians in Rome not to try to stop his martyrdom. "The only thing I ask of you is to allow me to offer the libation of my blood to God. I am the wheat of the Lord; may I be ground by the teeth of the beasts to become the immaculate bread of Christ."

Ignatius bravely met the lions in the Circus Maximus.

Posts 71 - 80 of 200