Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Aug 24th 2013 new
(quote) John-727073 said:

Lynea, meet Chris.

Chris, meet Lynea.

Ummm, sorry, but my brother's name is Chris.
Aug 24th 2013 new

It's a reference to your light hearted banter with Chris in Olathe, Kansas. wink

Aug 24th 2013 new
I would have given up years ago if only I had someplace to go. Hanging around singles sites is very demoralizing. It makes me feel like a bush league ballplayer, but where else does one go but retirement when the call to the major leagues just never comes?
Aug 24th 2013 new
(quote) Melissa-537851 said: Holy cow! I am not sure how this thread turned from my original post to an argument over male/female bashing. Wow.

Anyway...to address the above: I am very shy and awkward. And, my experience with men is negligible. I find it very hard to talk to men, approach them, even say "Hi!" It has been suggested to me numerous times to "practice" when it comes to talking to men. Talk to men I am not necessarily attracted to, men that I see on a regular basis, just any guy I can, just to get used to actually being in the presence of males. I figured I would apply the same theory to online sites as well. Just message as many guys as I can, just to get into the rhythm of being comfortable enough to contact and converse with men. If a friendship results from it, great! If something more, even better! But, I guess I view it more as a "get to know as many people as possible" experiment, whether for friendship or whatever. My intentions are as simple as that.

No male bashing here, but just an observation:

In my experience on this site, I feel like women are a bit more open minded to exploring possibilities. Not ALL women, mind you, but the ones I've talked to seem to have sort of a "Come to Jesus" moment when they realize, maybe The One isn't as good looking as they thought he would be or as successful as they thought he would be. Maybe he lives much further away than they would prefer, or he has kids, and they swore they would never entertain the thought of a man with children. So, they broaden their horizons, and accept what comes and give people a chance they may not normally. Again, I am not saying it is like this for all women, but I think a lot of us have reached that point.

I think men are much more singular in their approach. They are pretty locked into a specific type. Not necessarily ONE type overall, but whatever that particular man's type is...for one, it might be tall, blonde, and outgoing, for another perhaps short and nerdy...whatever their type is, they don't seem as keen to deviate from it, in exploration of more possibilities. I think for those of us who have broadened their search for a long-term mate, perhaps lowered standards....it can be incredibly frustrated to see such narrowness. But, it is their lives, not ours.

I guess my OP just spoke to my opinion of CM and life in general...at what point do we give up? Do we hold out hope forever? Or, is it kinder to our heart to throw in the towel at some point?
eyepopping Sometimes the threads here on CM remind me of the game "telephone" that they'd have us play in Sunday School when I was little. I used to hate that game, so much so I would beg my parents to let me attend Mass with the adults to avoid having to play it, since I could never pass the message on correctly to the next person. It wasn't until I was older that I realized that was the whole point!! In any case, isn't if funny how messages can somehow get twisted around, "lost in translation as it were"???
Aug 25th 2013 new
(quote) Melissa-537851 said:
In my experience on this site, I feel like women are a bit more open minded to exploring possibilities. Not ALL women, mind you, but the ones I've talked to seem to have sort of a "Come to Jesus" moment when they realize, maybe The One isn't as good looking as they thought he would be or as successful as they thought he would be. Maybe he lives much further away than they would prefer, or he has kids, and they swore they would never entertain the thought of a man with children. So, they broaden their horizons, and accept what comes and give people a chance they may not normally. Again, I am not saying it is like this for all women, but I think a lot of us have reached that point.

I think men are much more singular in their approach. They are pretty locked into a specific type. Not necessarily ONE type overall, but whatever that particular man's type is...for one, it might be tall, blonde, and outgoing, for another perhaps short and nerdy...whatever their type is, they don't seem as keen to deviate from it, in exploration of more possibilities. I think for those of us who have broadened their search for a long-term mate, perhaps lowered standards....it can be incredibly frustrated to see such narrowness. But, it is their lives, not ours.

This also seems to be true, to me. It's too bad, but as you say, it's their lives, their subscription and their choice. It sometimes may seem a little shallow, especially for a Catholic dating site, but if you want blond, rich, beautiful and young, (or whatever) no matter what your own stats are, I guess anyone has the right to hold out for that to come along.
Aug 25th 2013 new
Lynea
Thank you for the Ann Jillian - that I look like- I may just get my hair cut that way too rolling eyes
My hair is very blonde right now it would look " Fabbooo" as my daughter would say! laughing
BTW I agree with your sentiments of gentleman. Perfumed hankies & kisses on the hand are always a sweet beginning for me.
Aug 27th 2013 new
Well update: I changed some pictures around and did a revamp of my profile. Even re-took the temperament quiz...man was that long.

I am turning over a new leaf. I intend to be positive, bubbly, and my normally nice self. I am going to TRY to see the good in any situation, even if I get rejected. I am going to TRY not to mope or get upset when someone denies me.

I'm hoping these changes will create a better experience for me here
Aug 27th 2013 new
(quote) Melissa-537851 said: Well update.......I'm hoping these changes will create a better experience for me here.
Atta Girl! And remember the Women's Discussion Room is for you to ask for, and get, as much support as you want!
You can always message one of us "Sophia Sisters" if some personal coaching or shared wisdom would help! That is what "sistas" do for one another!
Aug 27th 2013 new
Internet dating can be hard on the ego. It's best not to take it all too seriously or too personally. If someone doesn't respond they aren't the person for you and it saves you the time of corresponding only to maybe find that out months later.
Aug 27th 2013 new
Yes it is difficult to find the right one... especially on dating sites! i've been on this site for a long time now... but actively just a few months ago. And I am already wondering.... I guess there are very few from India on this site.
Posts 91 - 100 of 131