Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Aug 29th 2013 new
When my father was dying (23 years ago), I prayed, "Please take good care of my daddy".

When he died, I was, of course, upset, hurt, sad, etc.. A little something nagged at me that I should be angry -- but then I remembered that I had prayed for God to take care of him. God did. Dad went quietly, painlessly, holding my mother's hand and in the good graces of the Church. What more could I want?

I said the same prayers when my mother and husband were in their last illnesses. They, too, went easily and peacefully.
Aug 29th 2013 new
(quote) Bridgid-151982 said: Do you think it's awful to pray for God to take someone soon if that person is suffering?

God will take the person when it's the right time. Some go sooner, some later. In any case, that time will be when there is nothing left for the person to accomplish here on earth.

It's hard to watch a loved one go through illness like this, but there is great value and power in suffering -- not just the patient's, but ours as well!

I don't presume to tell God what to do (take him, cure him, whatever). wink I just reiterate my trust in His Wisdom and plans.

Wishing you peace. hug
Aug 29th 2013 new
(quote) Bridgid-151982 said: Sounds morbid, doesn't it. I'm posting this here because most of us, at this point in life, have had or will soon be having to deal with the death of our parents. Here's my question:

Do you think it's awful to pray for God to take someone soon if that person is suffering?

My dad has bone cancer, skin cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer's. He just had surgery for a sarcoma on his leg. They have to sedate him or he pulls out his IV (which he's done all his life, so at least that's not Alzheimer's related!), which makes him unable to manipulate eating utensils.

This is a tough one for me. Dad was always superman to my family, and it is SO difficult to see him losing ground and being sad and bewildered by what's happening to him. He was a fireman, a hero, and always had an incredibly strong aversion to being physically weak. His pain tolerance is pretty great, so we don't even always know when his heart isn't working well.

I could use some input right now. I know the church teachings on euthanasia, so please, friends, no lectures on the subject.
Back in the mid 90's, I would pray everyday for God to take my dad because it was hard on my mother. My father was in a nursing home for many years because of many ailments. I did not consider it wrong to ask for God to take him.
Aug 29th 2013 new
This is so difficult Bridgid I know. I think I cried more while my parents were dying than when they actually did. I just wanted God to end it so they wouldn't suffer any more. I mean although they endured their pain gallantly....it was so difficult to watch them become shadows of their former selves. Still though....all I could think to do was pray that if it was God's will that he would take them. Ironically, it was one last family rosary which provided the nudge my Mom needed.
There were times it was very hard for me to accept God's will....but one thought kept creeping back into my mind. His Reasons.....and in His time
Aug 29th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: God will take the person when it's the right time. Some go sooner, some later. In any case, that time will be when there is nothing left for the person to accomplish here on earth.

It's hard to watch a loved one go through illness like this, but there is great value and power in suffering -- not just the patient's, but ours as well!

I don't presume to tell God what to do (take him, cure him, whatever). I just reiterate my trust in His Wisdom and plans.

Wishing you peace.
Beautiful and very wise, Marge.
Aug 29th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: God will take the person when it's the right time. Some go sooner, some later. In any case, that time will be when there is nothing left for the person to accomplish here on earth.

I don't presume to tell God what to do (take him, cure him, whatever). I just reiterate my trust in His Wisdom and plans.

Wishing you peace.
Beautiful and very wise, Marge.
Aug 29th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-730726 said: This is so difficult Bridgid I know. I think I cried more while my parents were dying than when they actually did. I just wanted God to end it so they wouldn't suffer any more. I mean although they endured their pain gallantly....it was so difficult to watch them become shadows of their former selves. Still though....all I could think to do was pray that if it was God's will that he would take them. Ironically, it was one last family rosary which provided the nudge my Mom needed.
There were times it was very hard for me to accept God's will....but one thought kept creeping back into my mind. His Reasons.....and in His time
Amen (tothat brother) I couldn't have said it Better myself; (i agree 100%)
Aug 29th 2013 new
You are not praying for him to die; you are praying for his suffering to end and death is the only way that will happen. I will be praying for him and for you and the whole family. God bless you.
Aug 29th 2013 new
(quote) Mike-646924 said: Amen (tothat brother) I couldn't have said it Better myself; (i agree 100%)
Thanks Mike. I know my Dad had his sense of humor almost to the very end. When he was about 3 mos away...we had a deep discussion. I said, "Dad...do you think we DO any Purgatory here?" His reply was, "Well I certainly hope so!" (sorry to get off target here Bridgid)
Aug 29th 2013 new
Hi Bridgid,
No, certainly not awful! I am sure God understands very well the reasons behind your prayer. You are not actually asking for your dad's death, you are asking for his burden of disease to be lifted from his shoulders in the only possible way. People today tend to imagine that death is always avoidable with enough medical intervention, but it isn't. Everyone's turn comes eventually, and in the case of an especially unpleasant terminal illness, I think it's natural to want our loved one's ordeal to be less long even if it means losing them sooner. I hope for the best for you & your dad.
Posts 11 - 20 of 34