Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Sep 5th 2013 new
Sorry I haven't been back - this last week was pretty full of stress. Dad's doing ok, but they're keeping him drugged up (Seroquel and Atavan) so he won't pull out any IVs or get out of bed. He may be ill and Alzheimering (yes, my family made that a verb) but he's a buffalo and a fighter!

You have all offered so much wisdom and prayer. I thank you from the bottom of my heart, as it has given me some peace of mind.
Sep 5th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: God will take the person when it's the right time. Some go sooner, some later. In any case, that time will be when there is nothing left for the person to accomplish here on earth.

It's hard to watch a loved one go through illness like this, but there is great value and power in suffering -- not just the patient's, but ours as well!

I don't presume to tell God what to do (take him, cure him, whatever). I just reiterate my trust in His Wisdom and plans.

Wishing you peace.
Thank you Marge. I needed to hear these words right now. My younger brother just passed away under not so good circumstances. We all have regrets of should've, would've. I am trying to remember God's will not mine.
Sep 6th 2013 new
May God strengthen you during this tough time. Praying theheart

May I suggest you take time to rejuvenate.Masses,Adoration,a little time out to pray helps.The Divine Mercy Chaplet is short and helpful.When possible try to exercise it relieves some stress.
Hope this helps.
Sep 6th 2013 new
Dear Bridgid

I went thru this to some degree with my mom 12 years ago ... She had Alzheimer's and I hated seeing her being mixed-up after she had been such a sharp, intelligent woman all her life ... Just love your dad and be there for him and do the best you can ... He will innately know that you are there and he will treasure it all in his heart ,,, After seeing my mom and how she still could sense things I believe people with A-disease just have a sixth sense about them ... You are feeling all the natural human things, Bridgid, but at your core you are doing the right thing, you are just loving your dad ...

God bless him and you and all your family!
Sep 8th 2013 new
So sorry for all you're going through Bridgid.... rosary hug rosary

It's not wrong to pray for an end to someone's suffering, but it's far safer to pray for God's Holy Will....

Watching my very strong, articulate, and giving grandmother slowly loose all her faculties was hard to bear, especially since she was more a mother to me than grandmother. But I think God gave me a glimpse into the meaning of her sufferings. She was on good terms with everyone in her life, except for a certain condescension towards my Dad always lurking in the background of their interactions. As she lost her various abilities, it was my Dad who moved in, fed her, got up in the night, and cleaned up the inevitable messes. He was the last one to see her before she passed on. I think Our Lord allowed her to recognize my Dad for the strong and giving soul he was so she could put those disordered feelings aright before she met her maker...

Yes... many will often suffer at the end of their days. But God has great graces inside that suffering, perfectly designed for that particular soul. Also, when that soul realizes his sufferings have a tremendous potential for good when offered for loved ones it can fill his pain with great meaning and joy. This is one reason why euthanasia horribly cheats a soul of life's lessons...

Please know my prayers are with you and your family during this incredibly difficult time...
His Peace... theheart
Sep 8th 2013 new
(quote) Bridgid-151982 said: Sorry I haven't been back - this last week was pretty full of stress. Dad's doing ok, but they're keeping him drugged up (Seroquel and Atavan) so he won't pull out any IVs or get out of bed. He may be ill and Alzheimering (yes, my family made that a verb) but he's a buffalo and a fighter!

You have all offered so much wisdom and prayer. I thank you from the bottom of my heart, as it has given me some peace of mind.
Hi Bridgid, I too pray that God will take my Mom in her sleep. She's 93 years old and suffers from dementia and metastatic breast cancer. Like your father, she's one tough cookie and as her dementia progresses she becomes more obstinate and difficult as the days go on. I have a care-taker to cover my work hours but on my days off I spend them looking after her every need and can only leave the house when she is sleeping. Sometimes I wonder if my prayer isn't more for myself than her as I'm worn out. Mom is on a waiting list for a nursing home; I've been told she should have a bed in 3 to 6 months. I know going there will cause her terrible distress and confusion and likely end up with Mom heavily sedated. I pray she will pass before this happens. I keep trying to remember that God loves her infinitely more than I do and I can't take her cross away from her.
Sep 8th 2013 new
Hi Bridgid:
I am sorry for the suffering of your father and all the family. I had the experience of recently losing my wife and I always had the dilemma: how I should address the Lord? I did not want to tell him what to do. So I decided to ask for mercy and put on his hands the life of my loved one. I told Him: "Lord, her life is on your hands, have mercy on her, I trust in you". I know that there different approaches and views. The above worked for me. May God fill with his mercy and love your father and all of you.
Sep 8th 2013 new
Hi Brigid,
I am so sorry to hear what you are going through with your father. I have both my parents still but have lost some aunts and uncles with whom I was very close. I think that asking God to end suffering is perfectly acceptable and I would be praying for the the same peace if it were one of my parents. May God bless you and your family.
Tammy
Sep 8th 2013 new
My dear Bridged, life can be so hard sometimes. Isn't it awful. The true love of your life your dad, strong, giving, honest, and now it is your turn to take care of him. Having seen Alzheimer's last for years and years, I believe your strong, dad would not want this. Be brave and do ultimately what you would want done. Christ will show mercy on your soul.
Sep 8th 2013 new
For any grave illness in the aged, a prayer for a speedy recovery or a happy death is always OK.
Posts 21 - 30 of 34