Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Sep 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Melanie-364556 said: My life was made miserable with one of those things. I nearly died a million times in Raleigh because it always stopped on me.

Oh, chivalry. I like it when a man opens the door for me, but I also hope that he respects me in general. My concern about that part of culture is that some of these men might decide that some women don't deserve respect at all because they're different. I love it when a man opens the door for me, but I fear he's the type that will turn on me if he sees something he doesn't like because he is part of a more old fashioned culture. I hope that made sense, but it probably didn't.
Melanie With prayers on your side, I hope you will meet a kind, empathetic young man who will put those fears to rest. A good man will put you second in his life (second to God that is) and put your happiness first. Any man who turns on you and doesn't accept you for who you are, is not worth a moment more of your time.

Blessings theheart
Sep 3rd 2013 new
I don't think chivalry is dead.
For all ladies, young and old, who believe that when a man is being kind he thinks you weak, please know that this is not the case. It might have been that way at one point (I didn't live two hundred years ago, so I can't say), but today, if a man is making the effort to open doors, carry bags, and pull out chairs it's because he wants to make a good impression, respect you, and let you be the lady you are. I have five brothers, and I know that they don't open the door for me because they think me weak, but because they want to be gentlemen.
Thanks to all men who do this. You make women feel like princesses.
Sep 3rd 2013 new
No, it's not dead, but it comes from a historical social tradition of treating women like objects, so I'm very leery of it. And I get kind of frustrated having chivalry imposed on me. I literally had to fight a friend who wanted to pay for my meal and my shopping. I like being able to open doors for people just as they open them for me, regardless of being male or female, young or old... whatever. If chivalry is not done in a spirit of mutuality and equality, I just refuse to accept it.

I don't feel that true chivalry should stand out or even be consciously noticeable. Small acts of kindness, yes. But constantly running ahead of me to pull open the door, repeatedly insisting on paying for dinner after I decline, and awkwardly standing by my chair after pulling it out... that just makes me feel uncomfortable. (I have had a guy try to help me with my coat before, and it felt like he was trying to strip me, even though he wasn't being pushy about it.) Things that do help me out genuinely - like carrying my bags - I often accept, and am grateful for. But things that are unnecessary and stand out too much just seems to me like self-conscious showing off. There is a such thing as trying too hard.

And a man who will only do those things for me and not for others is also missing something. I'm more impressed by a man who is kind to everyone than a man who treats me specially trying to "impress" me. But maybe that's just me.
Sep 3rd 2013 new
The very fact that the question has to be asked tells me that it is dead toward many women, and rightfully so. Here in Oregon, many feminists refer to themselves as "cows". Most feminists hate men, thus love to enslave them. There is no room for a man in their heart, just their purse and bedroom. So men, don't cast pearls before "cows".
Sep 3rd 2013 new
Ok, this should be better...
br>Back in the medieval period, chivalry was a code observed by Knights that determined their behavior, both in and out of battle.

The code of chivalry was founded upon the ideals of courage, honor, and loyalty.

Hundreds of years later, the term is now used to describe behavior that is often times superficially courteous.

Chivalry should not be thought in terms of being polite; instead, if you want to know how to act chivalrous, then the fundamental rule is to treat people--not just women--with respect and dignity.
Sep 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: I had a Chivalry once, but I prefer a Ford.

Ha, Ha, Ha Peter...!!! laughing laughing laughing

You say the funniest things.... eyepopping
Sep 3rd 2013 new
Here in Steubenville where there are a great many seriously trying to live out their faith... chilvary is very much alive and well. I think it stems from both sexes working hard to understand and appreciate their opposite. Here, I find myself surprised if someone doesn't open a door for me. I in my turn, try to do my best to be as appreciative as possible when ever anyone steps out of their way to lend me a hand.

But as others have mentioned... It goes much deeper than mere outward courtesy. After reading up on theology of the body and the magnificent plan Our Lord has for our sexuality... chivalry makes perfect sense as a way to respect and protect our God given dignity... rose
Sep 4th 2013 new
Feminists have tried hard to kill it.
But, chivalry lives in the hearts of most young women, and in the souls of many men of all ages who seek to be the Dragonslayer and save at least one damsel in distress before they die.
The code of chivalry requires that a man live up to a high standard of service. Serious Boy Scout troops teach this, especially in The Order of the Arrow, but there are many other, quasy secret, self effacing, militantly anti-feminist and anti-moderniost groups who try to live the code of chivalry on a daily basis. It can be done.
You will not know them unless you find yourself in distress at some time and an unknown man helps you without any thought of reward. Another clue is that he honors you as a woman though you have given him no reason to. He loves you without needing to possess you. If you sense these things, you may be dealing with a knight errant, or possibly an honorable squire.
Sep 4th 2013 new
(quote) Dennis-754668 said: Its alive and well in the Hoosier state...
I can confirm this beyond a shadow of a doubt!
We Hoosier ladies are treated VERY well by the men around us! (Thank you, Dennis and others......)

To ANY man who shows any lady the courtesy and respect of chivalry - on behalf of that lady - I THANK YOU wholeheartedly! Do NOT let a few unappreciative women ruin the goodness of what you do - YOU are the ones behaving well! Keep doing it!
Sep 4th 2013 new
(quote) Dennis-754668 said: Its alive and well in the Hoosier state...
I can confirm this beyond a shadow of a doubt!
We Hoosier ladies are treated VERY well by the men around us! (Thank you, Dennis and others......)

To ANY man who shows any lady the courtesy and respect of chivalry - on behalf of that lady - I THANK YOU wholeheartedly! Do NOT let a few unappreciative women ruin the goodness of what you do - YOU are the ones behaving well! Keep doing it!
Posts 21 - 30 of 53