Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Sep 8th 2013 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: many happy returns and enjoy your day!
Susan.......was this a birthday wish? Well, Thank you! biggrin
Sep 8th 2013 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: The article posted by the OP was written by Mr. Gerald Rogers, a motivational speaker from SLC, Utah who attended BYU (so I assume he is Mormon, but I could be wrong). He also wrote a similar article for women in regards to "caring" for their man. Both of the articles are well written and very true, however the first thing I noticed (as did other CM members) was the absence of Christ in the relationship. A marriage relationship can "survive" however it will not "thrive" without Christ as the center. Our motivation should not be our spouse, but instead Christ.
I had also read this article on facebook a while ago and thought it was good. Like many others have mentioned, I particularly noticed the lack of God and how if He were central then everything else would have more likely (although not necessarily 'easily') fallen into place.

Not having known the author's background, I read with the understanding that even if he was a Christian he was possibly writing without the mention of God to appeal to a larger audience. How many people of other faiths or without faith would have taken the article as much to heart if they knew it was from a specifically Christian perspective (and, therefore, would not think it applied to them if they do not believe in a Trinitarian God)?

Even though, as someone earlier suggested, this might give the impression of keeping a check list, wouldn't it be better if more people followed this advice at least in practice? The habit of doing good for one another could then lead to a conversion of the heart; truly loving and being self giving! The world would be a better place for it!

Think about it this way; even though we, as Christians, know we're supposed to love everyone and do what's right, we don't always FEEL like it because people hurt us or we sometimes have selfish tendencies. But even when we don't FEEL like doing what's right, we can still CHOOSE to do what's right. Then hopefully our feelings will catch up with us, but at the very least we are making a habit of choosing God's way over our our way; our feelings are fickle, but God's love is constant and unconditional.

So for those who live by another faith or are unbelievers, if the author could at least have them evaluate how they live then perhaps they would start making a habit of choosing to do what's right even when they don't feel like it. Before too long, those habits become internalized changes of heart where people more easily choose the better part and do so genuinely for the good of the other. Even for people who don't know God, I think this could lead them to Him; if they're being as loving as they know how I don't know how they could not come to know love and God is love! It's just like in the Gospels, Jesus met people where they were and gave them the opportunity to follow him; God works in many and mysterious ways and His timing is perfect. Perhaps others who read this article need to put these things into practice before they'll be ready to accept Jesus, whereas if they saw God mentioned they wouldn't have given any of it a second thought.

Who are we to judge the author, his wife, his intent, or anyone who reads it? Maybe he purposely wrote it the way he did because that's how God wanted him to write it! wink angel
Sep 8th 2013 new
I love this!!! You get a Gold Star! You get a Gold Star! You get a Gold Star! You get a Gold Star! You get a Gold Star!

The author, whether he be Christian or no, has stumbled upon the proper Christian attitude of a man towards his wife, uncannily echoing thoughts found in Theology of the Body. The man is to lead in love... allowing his wife to totally trust him, opening herself up into that life giving sharing so inherent in her nature. I know I for one would be willing to sacrifice all for a man who held me with that kind of esteem...

It would be very nice to see the corresponding article for women. We bear equal responsibility in self surrender for our unions. Anyone know where to find it?

Thanks Johnny, for posting such an inspiring article... rose
Sep 8th 2013 new
Very nicely written. He had excellent points. I do believe that God needs to be number one in addition. Just my 2 cents.
Sep 8th 2013 new
(quote) Linda-442926 said: Who are we to judge the author, his wife, his intent, or anyone who reads it? Maybe he purposely wrote it the way he did because that's how God wanted him to write it!
Very nice comment Linda!
Sep 8th 2013 new
(quote) Debbie-514749 said: I love this!!!

Thanks Johnny, for posting such an inspiring article...
Thanks Debbie! biggrin
Sep 9th 2013 new
Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy birthday, Johnny. Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! I feel that you have given us a gift -- this very deep, honest, thought-provoking comments from a man whose marriage failed. I, too, would like to read the woman's version.
Sep 9th 2013 new
(quote) Margo-404841 said: Happy birthday, Johnny. I feel that you have given us a gift -- this very deep, honest, thought-provoking comments from a man whose marriage failed. I, too, would like to read the woman's version.
Margo.........Thanks! and Thanks! biggrin
Sep 10th 2013 new
I Love this article!! Great Find!! biggrin
Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Krystle-997573 said: I Love this article!! Great Find!!
Thanks Krystle biggrin
Posts 31 - 40 of 40