Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Sep 19th 2013 new
I'm going to try and touch on everyone's concerns. If I skip over anything, I apologize in advance--this is a lot of information in one post--

Chris- Right now there isn't a way to change the ages that appear by default when you select "New Search". Right now it's based on a percentage of your age.

Dave- The saved search called "Default Search" is actually not related to the criteria that appears by default in a new search. When the new matching system was introduced, everyone's old match criteria was moved to the Saved Search page and named "Default Search".

Michael- Excellent suggestion. I'm going to bring it up to our tech team.

Wendy- You are correct. The criteria that currently appears by default does differ between men and women. Since most women tend to show interest in men slightly older and most men tend to show interest in women slightly younger, the default age goes slightly higher for women and slightly lower for men.
Sep 19th 2013 new
Our tech team is open to suggestions. Here are few ideas that have been thrown out there so far. Let us know if you have a preference or if you have another idea that could work.
  • There can be no default, meaning that the criteria box will be blank when you select "New Search"
  • We man make it such that each member is in control of their own default
Sep 19th 2013 new
It'd be nice if it'd let me set it where I prefer, or at least have it blank so I can put in what I happen to want right then.
Sep 19th 2013 new
Thanks for your reply Debbie.

I think if CM leaves it blank and individuals fill it in as they like, that would be fine.

But personally, I like having CM put in 5 years older/younger (if that can be done) as a starting point, for every member. Our society is portraying "icky" ideas of age ranges and maybe if CM has a suggestion of minus 5 years, that might curb some of the contacts from members who are SIGNIFICANTLY older than someone (for dating, not talking about sending a birthday emote or anything). And by having +5 age listed, it will also help to encourage men to contact women their age and a bit older. The power of suggestion can be strong, and right now, CM is inadvertently promoting men to not really look at women who are older, and to instead look at women much younger. Having plus/minus 5 could be a good thing.
Oct 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Debbie-696127 said:

Wendy- You are correct. The criteria that currently appears by default does differ between men and women. Since most women tend to show interest in men slightly older and most men tend to show interest in women slightly younger, the default age goes slightly higher for women and slightly lower for men.
Debbie I do agree with Wendy.
In your answer to her the only problem I see is the word SLIGHTY older/ younger!~~ Its a lot older/younger and that's where the problem lies and the discussions go on !

* Also Everyone stating/ listing their "desired age range" ( as a profile question) would help everyone else know where they fit in! -----I am looking at like this ,its a way to Help Everyone find what they want!
Oct 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Wendy-387654 said: Thanks for your reply Debbie.

I think if CM leaves it blank and individuals fill it in as they like, that would be fine.

But personally, I like having CM put in 5 years older/younger (if that can be done) as a starting point, for every member. Our society is portraying "icky" ideas of age ranges and maybe if CM has a suggestion of minus 5 years, that might curb some of the contacts from members who are SIGNIFICANTLY older than someone (for dating, not talking about sending a birthday emote or anything). And by having +5 age listed, it will also help to encourage men to contact women their age and a bit older. The power of suggestion can be strong, and right now, CM is inadvertently promoting men to not really look at women who are older, and to instead look at women much younger. Having plus/minus 5 could be a good thing.
I agree with Wendy as far as age ranges go its an excellent idea.
Oct 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Debbie-696127 said: I'm going to try and touch on everyone's concerns. If I skip over anything, I apologize in advance--this is a lot of information in one post--

Chris- Right now there isn't a way to change the ages that appear by default when you select "New Search". Right now it's based on a percentage of your age.

Dave- The saved search called "Default Search" is actually not related to the criteria that appears by default in a new search. When the new matching system was introduced, everyone's old match criteria was moved to the Saved Search page and named "Default Search".

I brought this discrepancy (between men and women's defaults search) in the Singles Forum quite a while ago and most members had no idea what a "default" setting was. They also had no idea that they could change their search setting. I should have addressed this concern in the Community Help forum and thanks to those that have done so, especially Michael and Wendy.

Oct 3rd 2013 new
What you see on your HOMEPAGE the age is selected for you. ( its Not the same for every one)
I am 60 they show me men age 54 to 75 on the Home page I have no choice!
Oct 6th 2013 new
I am not going to let this thread get buried. CM needs to do something about this!! I am obviously not the only one concerned about the discrepancy between men's and women's default searches. Who else is on board with me with this one?
Oct 8th 2013 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: I am not going to let this thread get buried. CM needs to do something about this!! I am obviously not the only one concerned about the discrepancy between men's and women's default searches. Who else is on board with me with this one?
Joan , In my opinion lots of the ladies in the womens room, that might be afraid to say it anywhere else!
I would also like to know What 's wrong with stating an age preference? We make lots of choices in many areas!...all the time!
Posts 11 - 20 of 30