Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Sep 9th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: The following link is to a product sold in both Home Depot ad Lowes Stores.
It is a $20.00 extension wand that can be hooked up to your hose and act as a 5 foot extension that can be used to spray
the leaves out of the otherwise unreachable gutter above you on the ladder. It can be messy if not agneled properly away from you when spraying - but can be a lot cheaper than calling in a gutter cleaning company.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-SunMate-69-in-1-Pattern-Fall-Cleanup-Wand-Set-58582/100212565

Be sure to wear goggles (not just safety glasses) when using a device such as this, especially when up on a ladder. The last thing you want is something splashing in your eyes while up there.

Then again, it would be a good idea to be wearing the goggles while up on the ladder even if you aren't using a device like this.

Sep 9th 2013 new
That could be a life saver!!! Mine probably! Thank you so much!!
And important idea about the googles too -- I thought maybe the welding mask could work too, right?
The gutter guy was just here trying to sell me "Nothing But Water" gutter protection system -- he saw I was Catholic as soon as he came in, lol, seeing all the Catholic decor, found out I was divorced, he is too and annulled and asked me out -- I'm floored!! But I told him, call me in a year when my annulment is final, then we'll talk again. Life is crazy!!
That system looks great though!
Sep 9th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Be sure to wear goggles (not just safety glasses) when using a device such as this, especially when up on a ladder. The last thing you want is something splashing in your eyes while up there.

Then again, it would be a good idea to be wearing the goggles while up on the ladder even if you aren't using a device like this.

Thank you Jerry, I should have stressed the safety aspects involved with any home repair/maintenance tasks which is what makes helping via text to do it yourselfers very dangerous if they take on more than they are comfortable with.
Sep 9th 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: That could be a life saver!!! Mine probably! Thank you so much!!
And important idea about the googles too -- I thought maybe the welding mask could work too, right?
The gutter guy was just here trying to sell me "Nothing But Water" gutter protection system -- he saw I was Catholic as soon as he came in, lol, seeing all the Catholic decor, found out I was divorced, he is too and annulled and asked me out -- I'm floored!! But I told him, call me in a year when my annulment is final, then we'll talk again. Life is crazy!!
That system looks great though!
A welding mask could be more hindrance than help due to weight, bulkiness, restricted vision, etc. A regular pair of goggles that seals tightly against your face will be fine.
Sep 9th 2013 new
I was thinking I wouldn't want to 'eat' any of that stuff that got splashed out .... my dad has a lightweight one.
Sep 9th 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: I was thinking I wouldn't want to 'eat' any of that stuff that got splashed out .... my dad has a lightweight one.
Then get some paper face masks. You don't want to be restricting your peripheral vision while up on the ladder.

Sep 9th 2013 new
(quote) Lina-796057 said: Grrr. I have a number of things that need fixing around my house, and a number of projects (like boxes of papers to be sorted, photos to be sorted & put in albums, stuff like that) that no one but me could do. That's why I would prefer someone else do those housey jobs for me while I work on tasks only I could do. However, being without income at present really decides for me what gets done and what gets delayed for another long time.
Sometimes it really stinks to be a single mom.....
Lina, Is there a Knights of Columbus Council in or near your parish? Our Council does occasional home repairs for people in our community and we will not accept anything in return. We have several professional contractors who are members. It's worth a try! rose
Sep 9th 2013 new
Yeah hey! I'm glad this has taken off so well.
Sep 9th 2013 new
Thank you Tim for bringing this subject to the forum. Since I am not good with home repairs, I usually just ask friends for the name of a good handyman to fix whatever is broken.
Sep 9th 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: And I need help trimming some way high up limbs from my maple tree so they don't extend over my roofs -
Although I cannot recommend a safe way for a DIYer to trim high limbs from a tree while on a ladder, I will note that your comment about it being a maple tree ties into your decision about the gutter guards metnioned in your other post here. Most if not all of the gutter guards (the names differ by manfucaturer) are designed to prevent leaves from entering the gutter by placing a semi permanent cover on the gutter with slits in it to allow the water in and the leaves to flow over the top of the gutter. Maple tree seedlings (that I often call helicopters - due to the way they fall from the tree) are thin enough that I have yet to find a gutter guard system that successfully prevents them from entering the gutter - thus clogging the gutter - and the cover making it near impossible to get them out. Also older roof shingles will tend to lose the granular coating that is on them - also creating a build up in the gutter. For the above reasons, I cannot recommend the use of gutter guards to prevent leafs from the gutters because of the other problems they cause.

In regard to the roofing issues, without seeing the problem, I am going to guess you are referring to full or partial shingles missing. What I can offer is knowledge that Home Depot sells the shingles separately, if you only need a few, while Lowes only sells them by the pack (maybe more than you need). If pictures were available, i am sure more specific help could be offered by many here as to a possible remedy/fix for the problem.
While technically you could post the pictures on your profile, I would imagine most CM members are looking for other types of picture in peoples profiles ( no wise cracks from the peanut gallery about shingles at my age laughing laughing laughing) One might consider a free online account with a service such as flickr (www.flickr.com) owned by Yahoo these days if I am not mistaken. Pictures could be posted there and a link provided here in the forums so that other CM members could see the problem and still not know any identifying information about you - if none was made available through your flickr account.

In regards to ANY electrical issue one might have for DIYers, one would have to first be very comfortable knowing which breakers (fuses in older houses) to turn off/unscrew/remove prior to doing ANY work. And to make sure that EVERYONE in the house is aware of it being turned off so they do not turn it back on while in the middle of work being done. In reality, if one is hesitant in doing any electrical work for the first time - they are probably safer having someone else do it and watching closesly and asking questions for similar problems down the road that could then be tackled with a bit more confidence.

For any other problems anyone is having - sometimes a picture of the "doohickey" causing the problem can often lead to others being able to offer up better search terms to be used in your quest for answer to the problem. And if anyone ever gets that Teleport thing working where there is food on the other end, they better make the door width adjustable because I love to eat LOL
Posts 11 - 20 of 121