Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Sep 10th 2013 new
Also, Tim you were mentioning water leaks from the roof a few posts back & was wondering if the duplex I live in might suffer from this problem. I can just call our maintenance people for this (if they know how to check it), since I live in a rental. We had a ton of rain in Georgia this summer (compared to past seasons) & I had many mornings I'd wake up with swollen & puffy eyes, as though I was having some allergy problems from mold, etc. So, just thinking water might be leaking behind the walls, ceiling, etc. It's also a pretty old structure being about 60 yrs. old, too. So, any tests I can ask about?
Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Anne-445674 said: Thanks, too for starting this thread Tim. My problem relates more with having to re-hook up my dvd combo vcr player w/ my stereo & t.v. setup. My brother (who lives about a block away) must be getting tired of the "little sister" favors & so a few months back, the only way he'd even look at my dvd player was if I unhooked it & brought it over to his house. The problem needing urgent attention was a stuck dvd in the player & I needed to return it without Redbox charging me more fees. So, being busy w/ full-time work & part-time school, makes life challenging at figuring this out again. It also means digging up the old instruction books that came w/ the electronics & that can be a "pain" to find, too right?
...anything on Youtube that could help me (if my brother has lost the grace to help his little sister)?
While I'm a neophyte to the electronic hook up game ( my twin boys are experts) there are a few questions to ask first.

1) does it have a round cable ( head) with pins in it? Called an s- video cable? Age wise im guessing it has three cables red, yellow and white.

2) did this go through the stereo before or was it seperate.

3). Can I assume you have cable or satellite??
Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Anne-445674 said: Also, Tim you were mentioning water leaks from the roof a few posts back & was wondering if the duplex I live in might suffer from this problem. I can just call our maintenance people for this (if they know how to check it), since I live in a rental. We had a ton of rain in Georgia this summer (compared to past seasons) & I had many mornings I'd wake up with swollen & puffy eyes, as though I was having some allergy problems from mold, etc. So, just thinking water might be leaking behind the walls, ceiling, etc. It's also a pretty old structure being about 60 yrs. old, too. So, any tests I can ask about?
It is certainly possible for this to occur in a wall. Look closely around the ceiling for discoloration. If not, is wallpaper bulging or paint bubbling?

Any of these might suggest water issues. If not and we assume you are not allergic to anything else the local health department should be able to put you in touch with someone who can put monitoring filters in your home. These catch loose mold spores and then can be evaluated. If not, pm me privately and I think I can give you some contact names in Ga that might help.
Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Anne-445674 said: Thanks, too for starting this thread Tim. My problem relates more with having to re-hook up my dvd combo vcr player w/ my stereo & t.v. setup.
My recommendation below relies on mutlicolored electrical tape that can be purchased in several places one of which is Home Depot (5 pack for $4.27) as shown in the link below:
www.homedepot.com.

The goal is to wrap a band of the colored tape around each of the cables to assist in identifying and distinguishing them. Choose one color per device such as white for the DVD player, Blue for the stereo. Taking the DVD player as the the example wrap a white piece of tape around the end of every cable that goes to the DVD player. Now it will be easy to determine which cables go to the DVD player. The problem of which DVD player cable goes where can now be addressed.

Still working with only the DVD Player, take one cable and a bit further down from the white stripe add two more stripes right next to each other like blue and green on one DVD cable, red and yellow on another, red and green on yet another. The single white band indicates the cable goes to the dvd player - the other two color bands that are close to each other differentiate the DVD cables.

Take a picture of the back of the DVD player with the cable hooked up with the color stripes visible. This should assist in placing the cables back into the proper connectors should they need to be disconnected from the device.

The same can be accomplished with regular scotch tape, pieces of paper, and colored markers, it is just that the electrical tape tends to adhere a bit better over time.

Writing down the Model Number of the electrical device can be of a great help when tying to get help from others as it will be more likely they can easily find the manuals online for the exact device and better assist you in the troubleshooting process.

Also keep in mind that many newer electronic devices now come with a single cable called an HDMI cable that makes interconnecting multiple devices MUCH easier than it used to be - and less cable clutter. This method involves throwing money at the problem to fix it - which is not what I am suggesting - but for some people, the lack of aggravation is worth the money spent.

Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: My recommendation below relies on mutlicolored electrical tape that can be purchased in several places one of which is Home Depot (5 pack for $4.27) as shown in the link below:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-2-in-x-20-ft-Colored-Electrical-Tape-5-Pack-GTPC-550/100...

The goal is to wrap a band of the colored tape around each of the cables to assist in identifying and distinguishing them. Choose one color per device such as white for the DVD player, Blue for the stereo. Taking the DVD player as the the example wrap a white piece of tape around the end of every cable that goes to the DVD player. Now it will be easy to determine which cables go to the DVD player. The problem of which DVD player cable goes where can now be addressed.

Still working with only the DVD Player, take one cable and a bit further down from the white stripe add two more stripes right next to each other like blue and green on one DVD cable, red and yellow on another, red and green on yet another. The single white band indicates the cable goes to the dvd player - the other two color bands that are close to each other differentiate the DVD cables.

Take a picture of the back of the DVD player with the cable hooked up with the color stripes visible. This should assist in placing the cables back into the proper connectors should they need to be disconnected from the device.

The same can be accomplished with regular scotch tape, pieces of paper, and colored markers, it is just that the electrical tape tends to adhere a bit better over time.

Writing down the Model Number of the electrical device can be of a great help when tying to get help from others as it will be more likely they can easily find the manuals online for the exact device and better assist you in the troubleshooting process.

Also keep in mind that many newer electronic devices now come with a single cable called an HDMI cable that makes interconnecting multiple devices MUCH easier than it used to be - and less cable clutter. This method involves throwing money at the problem to fix it - which is not what I am suggesting - but for some people, the lack of aggravation is worth the money spent.

Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about!! I label every cord as it was a pain to hook it up the first time.
Sep 10th 2013 new
OOOH. Idea for a CM get-together!

Remember how in pioneer days the community would gather for a barn-raising? How about those with household projects post their needs, pick a date, PROVIDE FOOD, and everyone who is handy comes to do the repairs?

Don't all thank me at once. Battling eyelashes
Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: OOOH. Idea for a CM get-together!

Remember how in pioneer days the community would gather for a barn-raising? How about those with household projects post their needs, pick a date, PROVIDE FOOD, and everyone who is handy comes to do the repairs?

Don't all thank me at once.
That could be Interesting!
Sep 11th 2013 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: While I'm a neophyte to the electronic hook up game ( my twin boys are experts) there are a few questions to ask first.

1) does it have a round cable ( head) with pins in it? Called an s- video cable? Age wise im guessing it has three cables red, yellow and white.

2) did this go through the stereo before or was it seperate.

3). Can I assume you have cable or satellite??
Thanks Tim for the feedback! Well, in answer to your prev. questions....1st, I forgot (since it's been laying behind my stereo cabinet or the inside part), but I did purchase a few yrs. back one of those special cables from good ol' Radio Shack w/ all 3 of those colors: red, yellow & possibly white (?).
2nd, I have in past times hooked it up thru my stereo (great when playing dvd's), but when antenna reception switched to requiring a digital box, I had to re-configure this to have the cable from digital box run into input part of dvd player. Darn if my dvd player had been newer it might've been able to give me digital reception (but the technology wasn't there yet!). irked
3rd, I guess the previous answers your other question...no, don't have satellite nor cable. Fortunately, I've got good reception w/ my digital box & can get 6 different PBS stations & many extended channels on top of major networks.

Yes, you & Dave were a great help & now I don't feel so overwhelmed or irritated in tackling my project...when studying is done. biggrin
Sep 11th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: My recommendation below relies on mutlicolored electrical tape that can be purchased in several places one of which is Home Depot (5 pack for $4.27) as shown in the link below:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-2-in-x-20-ft-Colored-Electrical-Tape-5-Pack-GTPC-550/100...

waveThank you Dave soooo much for your step-by-step detail in my "refresher course" in re-hooking up this mess. It's like I can hook it up once or twice at the start when we just GET our equipment, but it's a "hassle" when you have to go back & recall how I did it all over again. But, to save the tape purchase, (as I said on a previous post to Tim), I recalled that I had "wisely" purchased that special cable several yrs. ago back @ Radio Shack w/ the multi-colored connectors. That was also a good idea to re-check online for the manual for this model of equipment. The same is usually done when we have to update our drivers for p/c equipment. Also, for equipment bought 2nd-hand. Take care y'all & appreciate it!
Sep 11th 2013 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said:
Any of these might suggest water issues. If not and we assume you are not allergic to anything else the local health department should be able to put you in touch with someone who can put monitoring filters in your home. These catch loose mold spores and then can be evaluated. If not, pm me privately and I think I can give you some contact names in Ga that might help.
Well Tim, about any possible water damage, I'll 1st go the route of checking w/ my management & see if their maintenance guys can check it out. It's been so dry here lately that hopefully it's dried out any of the previous moisture.
...I will drop you a line by "p.m." if I don't get a better resolution & need a good referral. Thanks Tim!
Posts 31 - 40 of 121