Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Sep 9th 2013 new
Fox News I find is fair and un-biased. It represents me in and always the same courtesy to either guest be they Liberal or Conservatlive. I like truth and fairness. Carmel
Sep 9th 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: Pardon me, but I almost feel I have to do this...

"I used to think that I should watch TV
I used to think that it was good for me
Wanted to know what folks were thinking
To understand the land I live in
And I would lose myself
And it would set me free

This is the place where common people go
A global franchise; one department store
Yes, there were many awkward moments
I had to do some self-atonement
Well, if I opened up
Well, it would set me free

I know, I like
Behold and love this giant
Big soul, big lips
That's me and I am this
Everybody is a touched up hairdo
Everybody's in the passing lane
Had a reason that she touched all channels
The weird things that live in there"

--- David Byrne

Actually, that's just part of the song. The song is basically about how people are attracted to tv as an escapism, and they actually think that they NEED it to understand life and the world they live in. In reality, however, this escapism INDOCTRINATES people via the media, and all that garbage of distraction just makes people all the more separated from one another, making it harder to empathize and understand each other. Everyone is on an escapism high, and it is taking more and more perversions to keep that high going.

Sorry, it's just not for me.

Great post. Extra points for David Byrne lyrics.
Sep 9th 2013 new
I think Fox is not always unbiased. Look what they did with Monsanto.

Thanks, Patrick, for the David Byrne points. Do I get more for the rest fo the lyrics?

"I took a walk down to the park today
I wrote song called, "Just Like You and Me"
I heard the jokes from the sports reporter
The rival teams when they faced each other
The more I lost myself the more it set me free

How am I not your brother?
How are you not like me?
Ev'rybody's in the hotel lobby
I'm blending in here, yes I am
I feel it movin' in my arms and fingers
Touch me and feel my pain

It's good to lose and it's good to win sometimes
It's good to die and it's good to be alive
Maybe someday we can stand together
Not afraid of what our eyes might see
Maybe someday understand them better
The weird things inside of me"

Yeah, garbage in garbage out. I know some of you find good things, but I can target those interests by finding books at the library (there is such a thing as "world catalog", where you can order books from most universities to borrow).

I love history, theology, science and music, but I rather spend the time targeting what I like than being fed what I ought to like and how I ought to think about it, and hope that the sources are accurate and not highly edited to fit an agenda or form to a philosophy that is errant. Most of the history books I've borrowed are at least 100 years old. My theology books are not always in print, so I have my resources their, too. Science is something I can get depending on the study, like biological research studies are sometimes available to the public. Music: Internet.
Entertainment: Gosh, I can get stuff free on YouTube or for cheap on Amazon cloud. I'm set.
Sep 9th 2013 new
As a single mother of four children for the past ten years ,I turned the focus away from the t.v.to the outdoors,crafts ,games and sport.We hired DVD's as we needed them.
As far as parenting alone goes,it worked well not relying on the T.V as a babysitter.
If ever we see T.V at others homes, I am appalled by how far things have deteriorated morally ,and I am just
so glad we have missed out on seeing adds ,previews and accidental viewing of trashy shows.
I agree ,there are great things on T.V as well .My children don't see the need to be dependent on watching tv.

Sep 9th 2013 new
lol

www.youtube.com

angel

Sep 9th 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0a2oEsZoZYQ

And yes, this link was from Letterman.
But that's what makes this so funny, the sheer irony, as everyone on the stage at every bridge is choreographed to appear as live marionettes. Even Byrne gets a smile on his face over the irony of him getting away with this on Letterman's show, as he sings the words,
"I know / I like
Behold and love this giant"

lol... it's about the making of tv idols for people to identify with like Narcissus' reflection. "That's me and I am this!"

ouch

Sep 10th 2013 new
TV is by and large an insufferable medium, yet there are a few gems. I DVR them. The only things I have any desire to 'watch' 'live' are the 24 hour music channels, which have no commercials - and no interesting images.
Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Anne-976912 said: As a single mother of four children for the past ten years ,I turned the focus away from the t.v.to the outdoors,crafts ,games and sport.We hired DVD's as we needed them.
As far as parenting alone goes,it worked well not relying on the T.V as a babysitter.
If ever we see T.V at others homes, I am appalled by how far things have deteriorated morally ,and I am just
so glad we have missed out on seeing adds ,previews and accidental viewing of trashy shows.
I agree ,there are great things on T.V as well .My children don't see the need to be dependent on watching tv.

I'm not a fan of t.v., either. We have one and my kids watch some PBS, but it's the content on the other channels that causes problems. The accidental partial views of stuff like 'Honey Boo Boo' and other so-called reality shows give me more teachable moments than I want. I had to have an extended discussion with my cute, extroverted 6 year old about why she would never do a kid beauty pageant and why I think parents should not make money off their kids. (See Miley Cyrus- because that one worked out so well.)

Netflix and dedicated logins for each kid work better for us. I can monitor the time spent and content more easily. It's not that I think all screen time is bad, I just want to know what it is and how much- and I can control it, if need be.

As for me, I miss Nat Geo, the History Channel, news shows and a lot of other geeky programming, but the truth is I don't have time to watch anyway. Maybe when the kids are bigger we'll expand past basic cable.
Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Bill-567072 said: Is it just me, or is it being really strange when women post" no tv never." I am the first to agree that most tv is just junk, but I also find great shows on The History Channel, National Geo. and even once in a while on PBS, so why would someone dismiss the good with the bad? I think that is a bit radicial.

Bill
wave Hi Bill. About 5 years ago or so, I made a decision to get rid of cable/all t.v. reception. This does NOT make me strange or radical. In fact, I can honestly say it was one of the HEALTHIEST decisions I have ever made for myself (and my home/kids).

I live not-too-far from a great public library where I can check out (for free) many of the things that one might see on t.v. ...PBS programs, The History Channel, Hallmark movies. etc. And if my library doesn't have it, there's a free lending system where they'll transfer the material from another library to my own, again for free.

Sometimes, I might order a DVD via my library and have to wait....a few days or a week or so.
Imagine that. Not getting something instantly on demand....having to wait for something you'd really like.

And when I first cancelled my cable, my kids and I all sort of looked like:
eyepopping blink eyepopping blink eyepopping asking each other "What do we do now?" for you see, we had become so accustomed to letting our t.v. entertain us, on such a frequent basis, we didn't know how to live in a quieter environment.

Here's what we've learned to do with the extra time we now have (with the t.v. off):
*We talk with each other, regularly (imagine that)
*We read, often.
*We play board games (Scrabble anyone?)
*We cook, from scratch.
*We bake, from scratch.
(Note: one benefit from cooking/baking is we then eat healthier. Imagine that)
*We find hobbies to pursue (youngest has found she loves classical music, esp. Mozart. My son will spend time shooting hockey pucks in our unfinished basement)
*We exercise. This might even include a bike ride to the library for a book/DVD
*We have time for personal prayer time. (For me, I start my day in prayer, I end my day in prayer)
*We get our obligations done (homework, classwork (I'm a teacher), bills, laundry, chores, etc.)
*We spend time and volunteer. And participate in other youth group events.
*We have time for friendships/to socialize with others.

I've chosen to guard my eyes and ears from the toxic stuff that is sent to us, much of it via our t.v. By guarding my eyes/ears, I am then guarding my mind and heart.

I feel strongly about the path I've chosen for myself/my family and in actuality, I highly recommend it for others.

Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Bill-567072 said: Is it just me, or is it being really strange when women post" no tv never." I am the first to agree that most tv is just junk, but I also find great shows on The History Channel, National Geo. and even once in a while on PBS, so why would someone dismiss the good with the bad? I think that is a bit radicial.

Bill
Even the History Channel, National Geographic and PBS are all inundated with false philosophy and offenses to the Catholic religion. Besides that, some of us really don't have time, interest or facilities for television. TV is not necessary to make a well-rounded person, just like the internet is not. smile
Posts 11 - 20 of 77