Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Sep 10 new
I haven't watched TV in 40 + years.
Sep 10 new
At present,I would find it really hard to" tune in" to watching T.V...let alone a D.V.D smileThe garden is calling...and yes being on C.M. rolling eyesI am a little addicted to it at the moment.If I sit to watch a D.V.D at the moment ,I'm thinking of all the things I could be doing with that time.
A good D.V.D shared is great (and reading!)but I find with talk back radio and constant T.V. I can't do my own thinking..quiet time is really important to me for thinking and reflecting,I am not keen on "other stuff"(adds esp')
playing over in my mind. scratchchin
Sep 10 new
The times we live in. My daughter has access to TV. I've tried to teach her right from wrong, how to be good a person, I hope. I feel she should have access to see how others live, what others think. I don't want to keep her too sheltered. My daughter has seen a lot of good things in life and a lot of negative things in life. I am glad she is learning things about the world sooner than later in life. I am happy she is an independent thinker. I am VERY proud of the choices my daughter has made so far, even with the exposure to some not so good stuff.

Does Jesus force us to choose Him? What is Free Will? We have been learning about Control, Power and Forgiveness in Bible Study lately. Forgive them father they know not what they do.

Sep 10 new
(quote) Michelle-860764 said: The times we live in. My daughter has access to TV. I've tried to teach her right from wrong, how to be good a person, I hope. I feel she should have access to see how others live, what others think. I don't want to keep her too sheltered. My daughter has seen a lot of good things in life and a lot of negative things in life. I am glad she is learning things about the world sooner than later in life. I am happy she is an independent thinker. I am VERY proud of the choices my daughter has made so far, even with the exposure to some not so good stuff.

Does Jesus force us to choose Him? What is Free Will? We have been learning about Control, Power and Forgiveness in Bible Study lately. Forgive them father they know not what they do.

The problem with the human condition is that often we use things for distraction.

Television feeds programming --- unlike the internet, which is primarily user-directed.

Another problem is that one becomes indoctrinated into a 'norm' whose standard of measurement for values is usually in contrast to virtue.

Not everything I've seen and heard even on Catholic TV and radio is truly, 100% orthodox. Take EWTN for example: How many people here are aware that there is a huge battle going on within the walls of the EWTN establishment --- between those who want to protect the faith and the charismatic influence? Some hard-hitting, to-the-point shows of Mother Angelica's later years were mysteriously circular filed --- EVEN after Raymond Arroyo cited the specific episodes one of his biographies on Mother Angelica. The archive that is run by the sisters no longer contains certain, highly publicized episodes, and says they know nothing of them.

Yes, there is a war going on within Catholic media.

Some of us rather just watch specific shows and/or episodes. But as for myself, I've been terribly disappointed by some of those who I have found to be orthodox and then go the way of the buffalo. I rather just read the saints and the theologians that never were in heresy.

In general, that's how I feel about tv. It's just not necessary for me because I can target what I want to see that is totally consistent, totally good, truthful 100%, and truly beautiful (Unum, Bonum, Verum, Pulchra* -- these are the Transcendentals as taught by Holy Mother Church en.wikipedia.org).

I find it odd and incomprehensible how anyone, most especially a faithful Catholic, would find fault in that reasoning.

Sep 10 new
The best way for me to know Jesus.....is to know the things of this world. As hard as it is, I wouldn't value the love of God as much without experiencing the ways of this world.

Thank you Jesus for giving me free will and the desire to know You.
Sep 10 new
EWTN was available on shortwave radio for many years. Now it is available on Internet-- no need to pay to subsidize those who attack us. When Pope Francis was elected, I followed on Internet.
Sep 10 new
I haven't owned a TV for 10 years which started because their were no TV's in my college dorm. Then I learned to do without living with one and I really love being without the subsequent background influence. I get to choose what I want to see by only looking up programs on Netflix or Youtube. I feel more at peace than having a TV and mindlessly soaking in the reality shows, hollywood gossip and negativity.
Sep 10 new
The only thing it's good for is old reruns, dvds (or BR for films) and video games. I have little idea what's going on with the modern stuff.
Sep 10 new
(quote) Bill-567072 said: Is it just me, or is it being really strange when women post" no tv never." I am the first to agree that most tv is just junk, but I also find great shows on The History Channel, National Geo. and even once in a while on PBS, so why would someone dismiss the good with the bad? I think that is a bit radicial.

Bill
More Good News

m.youtube.com
Sep 10 new
It is a bit dangerous to make entertainment into a form of spirituality, especially tv. It is not the new aestheticism. What would the saints say about it, really?
Posts 31 - 40 of 77