Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Andrew-290721 said: TV is a one-way medium. One cannot influence it-- it can only influence the watcher, probably for the worse. I find that the commercials-- which can appear at any time on any program-- can be the most disgusting part of it. At least one can interact with a computer and hopefully help steer others in the right direction. I shut off the TV years ago and really don't regret it. The only way I would ever rear children is the no-TV route, which unfortunately has limited my choice of spouses severely over the last two decades, but I am firmly convinced that it is the only sensible way to go. In fact at this point, I find TV so utterly deplorable that I usually can't stand being in the same room with one that is on. Even though my chances of having children are remote at my age, I still need to find a lady who agrees that TV isn't worth the trouble. I certainly would never pay for cable TV and help subsidize those who are producing trash. As I said many years ago, Newton Minow described TV as "a vast wasteland" in the early 1960's and it went downhill from there. The few diamonds in the sewer aren't worth the trouble.
Very well spoken. I left TV 10 years ago and utilize the internet mostly for this and email kind of stuff. I find that I hardly have time enough for exercising the gifts that God has given me and to prepare myself for my life's vocation. Watching wholesome TV is not a sin, but I encourage our regular TV watchers to replace one hour of TV watching with one hour of prayer, asking specifically for Our Lady's intercession to find a more perfect way of life. Mother most pure, Virgin most prudent, Vessel of honor, House of gold, Mother of good counsel, Pray for us.
Sep 11th 2013 new
(quote) Bill-567072 said: Is it just me, or is it being really strange when women post" no tv never." I am the first to agree that most tv is just junk, but I also find great shows on The History Channel, National Geo. and even once in a while on PBS, so why would someone dismiss the good with the bad? I think that is a bit radicial.

Bill
I haven't watched TV since 1977. Hate it. Am doing just fine without it. I do watch it in hotel rooms, but I rarely travel with this job so even that is rare. I visit my 87 year-old mother and the darn thing is always blasting. The whole time I was growing up she had it on even when she was nowhere near it. My kids watch some shows via netflix, so I have watched them w/o the annoying commercials.

Boot the box! What's so "radical" about NOT letting hours of trashy ads into your living room?? TV is a parade of jeering ugliness. 88 channels and nothing worth watching.

Sep 11th 2013 new
How can a person iron shirts without a TV on??? Me and the NCIS team have accomplished a lot together, thank you Mark Harmon.

Sep 12th 2013 new
In a word, yes. You can control more of what you see on the computer than you can on TV.
Sep 12th 2013 new
I agree with you on this one, David.
Sep 12th 2013 new
Hear, hear!!
Sep 12th 2013 new
When I was around 11, my dad took my mom and two sisters and I on a summer trip to the Catskills. We wanted to swim, play outside, have fun. It rained 5 out of 7 days! (He had lousy luck). It was awful. We stayed in an old room with no t.v. I remember having a coloring book and maybe one book to read. We almost went a little batty.

There is a lot of junk on t.v. today, but I usually gravitate to the old shows on cable. I like some of the educational channels as well.

Who didn't laugh watching Carol Burnett walk down the stairs wearing a curtain (Scarlett O'Hara spoof), or cry when they said Henry was killed on his way home in MASH? Learning numbers and letters on Sesame Street thanks to the Muppets?
I oohed and aahed over William and Kate's wedding. lovestruck! It's not all bad.
Sep 12th 2013 new
(quote) Monica-291280 said: How can a person iron shirts without a TV on??? Me and the NCIS team have accomplished a lot together, thank you Mark Harmon.

The same way my grandmother did. You stack some Vic Damone and Robert Goulet LP's on the hi-fi - and iron (while humming along with a dreamy look on your face).

cloud
Sep 12th 2013 new

TV is like Doritos - I don't buy them because I'd eat the whole bag and feel disgusted with myself. Likewise, I won't own a TV because it would turn me into a carrion-feeder devouring awful "true crime" shows and reality garbage like "Dog the Bounty Hunter". Who needs that?

My kids don't miss it and neither do I. But tell someone you don't have a TV and they try to give you one of theirs. They actually feel sorry for you. Not watching TV has caused some awkward moments when people around me are discussing some show and I have no clue what they're talking about. If I say I never watched the show because I haven't watched TV since the 1970's, they look at me like I just confessed to being powerless over some awful vice. They think it's just "not right" to refuse to watch it. Oh well. Why line up to be mistreated and abused. Dogs hate TV too because they think it smells terrible.

wink
Sep 12th 2013 new
(quote) David-364112 said:  
...  You stack some Vic Damone and Robert Goulet ....

Did the trick work? Did she get Granddad jealous enough to take over some of the ironing (with a dreamy look on his face) to Eydie Gorme?
Posts 41 - 50 of 77