Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Sep 12th 2013 new
(quote) John-971967 said: Ed,

I know William's comments push the envelope for both of us, but I think he was just trying to make a point. I don't think you need to unload on him with both barrels. As much as I disagreed with his take on the events, I found it an "eyebrow raising" position and it made me think about things I haven't thought about for a while. We can still debate opposing positions in this country; thank the Lord. Ok, maybe not in a few years, but I digress.
I think the comments showed very low appreciation for the prevalent good values of this country.

Yes, one of the great things about this country is that we can (still) complain about our government and our politicians. If we had tried to have this conversation in China, Russia, Libya, Syria, Iran, Iraq, (and others), we would likely be put on a watch list, locked up, or worse. We even freely allow Putin to place his own ad in the New York Times (this week) to explain his point of view to all who want to read about it.... Try doing the opposite in Russia. Putin would almost certainly not allow it.

I believe that people who make such comments will only appreciate the great blessings and freedoms that they have to be a U.S. citizen when they actually lose them. I have short patience for people that can only find problems with this country, while enjoying all of the great benefits of living here. Last time I checked, there is no fence keeping people from escaping the U.S. They are free to go to any other country that they find more suitable. How many Russians would risk death for the chance to live in this country? I'm sure that you well recall the images on the news of ordinary people being shot to death as they tried to escape from East Germany to West Germany. I don't recall the last time (like never) that someone was shot to death trying to escape the borders of the U.S.

Ed
Sep 13th 2013 new

Thank you for this topic, Marianne! I have been thinking and praying about it for many weeks. I was thrilled last Saturday when Pope Francis called for everyone in the world, regardless of religion, to fast and pray for peace. On my computer live streaming, I watched as St. Peter's square filled up with 100,000 people as the Pope led a prayer vigil, asking the intercession of Our Blessed Mother for a peaceful resolution. This lasted about 5 hours, and was so beautifully powerful. When I heard the news that diplomacy, rather than air strikes were going to be used to solve the chemical weapons policy, I knew it was from all of our prayers. Prayer can make mighty things happen. No matter which politician made the first diplomatic, peaceful move in this crisis, it was the intercessions of Mary, and God hearing the prayers of millions for peace, that changed hardened hearts.

Posts 51 - 52 of 52