Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Sep 15 new
(quote) Laura-695247 said: Oh I totally concur. I've been told that I'm going to hell here. It's awful. Usually happens around election time. I'm not afraid of hell so much as these people. Thank God they are thousands of miles away from me. I had to leave forums for a while because of these crazies. I learned to chalk it up to some people are just nutso and need to rant. I think a lot of these people just don't have lives and I learned to feel sorry for them instead of angry.
Hi Laura. I was one of the individuals who was very active in posting pre-election, and don't ever remember anyone ever condemning anyone to hell. Doesn't mean it didn't happen....for I don't read all posts. But as Jerry has asked, if you have a particular post or thread where someone has specifically stated that if you do a certain behavior, you ARE going to hell, it's important to draw attention to this statement in your reply. None of us knows where the other will eventually end up after our life here on earth comes to an end.

But.....I HAVE seen very knowledgeable CMr's specify behaviors that are sinful. THAT isn't judging, it's just saying "Hey, did you know that's a sin?" type of sharing.

During the election season, I often posted links to what our Holy Church was sharing about what we should keep in our mind when entering the voting booth....that as Catholics there are certain behaviors that we are called to put to the top of our list when considering candidates. These were the non-negotiables.

We were also called to stand up for our religious liberties, something in which our government had made a specific plan to attack.........One way we stood up for our religious freedom was by not voting for the HHS mandate, which is something that will FORCE companies to include actions in their insurance that violate our conscience. (We are seeing a GREAT impact of this mandate............many lawsuits from Christian companies, and many companies no longer having as many full time employees.....reducing their work force to part time so they do not have to cover the grievous requirements of the mandate).

So again, please immediately reply to a post when you see someone specify that they know you are going to hell, as this thread is titled. This is important to do, if it happens (as you've stated it has).

On the other hand, just because you don't like what someone is saying when something is shared (my listing the 5 non-negotiable list that our Holy Church distributed to Her flock pre-election, or when it's stated that premarital sex is a sin) doesn't translate to mean I've/they've personally condemned you or anyone to hell.
Sep 15 new
(quote) Patrick-341178 said: I have been a catholic match member on and off over the years and find it to be an excellent site. Initially, I just ignored the forums and focused only on the dating part. I then realized I was missing out on quite a bit.

Overwhelmingly, I enjoy the posts that I read - even those I have strong disagreement. I appreciate members taking the time to give their honest and heartfelt feedback on particular topics - with one exception: the you better be a perfect catholic or you are going to hell posts.

I mean - is that really necessary? In all my years of catholic education and attending mass, I don't think I ever heard the fire and brimstone "you better obey catholic doctrine or get ready for an eternity in a lake of fire." For those who feel strongly about obeying catholic doctrine, by all means make your point - but do it a positive way like Pope John Paul or even Christopher West (who I personally am not a huge fan, but at least I have never heard him condemn anyone to hell.)

Now, am I saying the topic of hell isn't important? No - not at all. I do believe it is a place for the worst of mankind' souls such as Hitler, Hussein and Kermit Gosnell (hopefully he repents to save himself). But, is it appropriate for anyone who may have had pre-marital sex? Shouldn't we atleast leave that to God to decide? Also, what about purgatory anyways? We as catholics are suppose to believe in that as a way of purifying us who are not yet ready for heaven.

My suggestion is if someone wants to start a topic on hell - go ahead. Make your posts in this forum if you want. Otherwise, how bout making your points in not such a condemning fashion.

Howdy Patrick... CM is an excellent place... I have met some good friends through CM, and also, by attending some CM events...

I don't think anyone has written any go to hell post directed at me... At least not yet... hehe... I would hope that I would get told to go to hell in a personal message... hehe...

In the forums, it does seem that things can get off the original topic sometimes, and Ive seen negative comments go back and forth between individuals... I think that is what your talkin about?

As for me, every time I sin, I know I failed to put God first...

Take care now, Dennis

Sep 15 new
(quote) Dennis-754668 said: Howdy Patrick... CM is an excellent place... I have met some good friends through CM, and also, by attending some CM events...

I don't think anyone has written any go to hell post directed at me... At least not yet... hehe... I would hope that I would get told to go to hell in a personal message... hehe...

In the forums, it does seem that things can get off the original topic sometimes, and Ive seen negative comments go back and forth between individuals... I think that is what your talkin about?

As for me, every time I sin, I know I failed to put God first...

Take care now, Dennis

Well said, Dennis! I couldn't agree more. I can certainly look back on my sins and see that is the root of the problem.
Sep 15 new
"There are a lot, and I do mean a lot, of debates on the various CatholicMatch forums between the 7/7s and the 5/7s. Basically the 7/7s are telling the 5/7s they aren't really Catholic, and the 5/7s are telling the 7/7s that they're judgmental for dismissing them."

This thread was similar, but it seemed to be between those who agree with the church's teaching and those who disagree with the Church's teaching. (Although most of them are still 7/7) I mistakingly thought some of us were trying to clear up the Church's teaching for Patrick. It's clear to me that he is aware of the Catechism.

And the thread gains further confusion because others seem to add, "I agree with the Church's teaching but dislike how people go about telling others."
Sep 15 new
(quote) Patrick-341178 said: WOW! 31 replies in one day. Well at the very least this was topic that had to be discussed. The question isn't what is a sin or not a sin - I think the cathechism is very clear on that. I have no problem with people saying that we all subject to God's evaluation of our lives when they come to an end. Too many people live consequence free lives either being not aware or not caring about what is out there after our earthly lives come to an end. I just don't think saying all sinners who don't repent are going to hell is what catholicism is all about. I have hard time believing that Hitler and someone who may have had pre-marital sex and then dies before going to confession are seen in the same light by God. There is no way to know for sure so yes, it is possible that like 99.89% of the world ends up in hell and only babies who die shortly after their are baptized and people who get hit by bus right after going to confession go to heaven. That isn't the kind of faith I have. If others have a different interpretation, to each their own.
Patrick,

There is the Soft Sell and the Hard Sell.

We all want to be encouraged to do something because of the Soft Sell and for most people, the Soft Sell works fine. We would like to think that as Catholics, the Soft Sell is sufficient for us to keep in a state of grace.

But there are those of us who simply don't get the message that the Soft Sell delivers and when facing a particular temptation, we often have to be reminded that hell is real, and that we are well on our way there if we make the wrong decision.

Sister Lucia (one of the three Fatima children) was commenting on the Blessed Mother's apparition at Fatima. Specifically, she was discussing one of the questions the children put to the Blessed Mother, as well as her reply. The three chldren were asking her about other people in the village of Fatima who had recently died and when they asked her about a young woman named Amelia, the Blessed Mother informed them rather directly that Amelia would be in purgatory until the end of the world. (Amelia died at the age of somewhere between 18 and 20.)

There weren't too many questions after that.

When they asked Lucia if she was surprised by the severity of this punishment, she responded that she didn't consider it surprising, as "a soul could go to hell for eternity for deliberately missing Mass on Sunday."

books.google.com.

Sep 15 new
(quote) Laura-695247 said: Oh I totally concur. I've been told that I'm going to hell here. It's awful. Usually happens around election time. I'm not afraid of hell so much as these people. Thank God they are thousands of miles away from me. I had to leave forums for a while because of these crazies. I learned to chalk it up to some people are just nutso and need to rant. I think a lot of these people just don't have lives and I learned to feel sorry for them instead of angry.
I've been told that I'm going to hell here. It's awful. Usually happens around election time. I'm not afraid of hell so much as these people. Thank God they are thousands of miles away from me. I had to leave forums for a while because of these crazies.

Laura,

That's a pretty serious charge to make against other members of this site.

Why don't you show us the dates and the times these posts were made?
Sep 15 new
(quote) Dave-146273 said: I would think Jerry was speaking "figureatively"    
Dave I was laughing at Jerry's comment as he is the stalwart, excellent Moderator on this site and this seemed rather out of character-we see and hear with our present Pope Francis the continued emphasis on people of "goodwill" to pray and do good unto others despite religion or background etc. he is setting a wonderful example of loving others unconditionally.
Sep 15 new
I don't have time for that. I am renovating a house!
You have access to the threads...if you have time you can look for it, Thanks!
Sep 15 new
Yes it does happen to me so many times . especially be pro Vatican two.

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- While some Catholics would like to undo the reforms of the Second Vatican Council, others basically are trying to build a monument to it rather than fully live its teachings, Pope Francis said. In his homily April 16 at an early morning Mass in the chapel of his residence, the Domus Sanctae Marthae, Pope Francis said Christians must struggle with the temptation to tame the Holy Spirit. "To speak plainly: The Holy Spirit annoys us," he said. The Spirit "moves us, makes us walk, pushes the church to move forward." But, too often, he said, Catholics are like the Apostle Peter on the mountaintop when Jesus is transfigured. They, like Peter, say, "Oh, how nice it is to be here all together," but "don't bother us." "We want the Holy Spirit to sleep," he said. "We want to domesticate the Holy Spirit, and that just won't do because he is God and he is that breeze that comes and goes, and you don't know from where." The Holy Spirit is God's strength, the pope said. The Holy Spirit "gives us consolation and the strength to move forward," and the moving forward part is what can be a bother. People think it's better to be comfortable, but that is not what the fire of the Holy Spirit brings, Pope Francis said. While Catholics today may be more comfortable speaking about the Holy Spirit than they were 50 years ago, it doesn't mean the temptation to tame the Spirit has diminished, he said. Pope Francis said reactions to the Second Vatican Council are a prime example. "The council was a beautiful work of the Holy Spirit," he said. "But after 50 years, have we done everything the Holy Spirit in the council told us to do?" The pope asked if Catholics have opened themselves to "that continuity of the church's growth" that the council signified. The answer, he said, is "no." Catholics seemed willing to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the council's opening in 1962, he said, but they want to do so by "building a monument" rather than by changing anything. At the same time, Pope Francis said, "there are voices saying we should go back. This is called being hard-headed, this is called wanting to domesticate the Holy Spirit, this is called becoming 'foolish and slow of heart,'" like the disappointed disciples on the road to Emmaus. The same phenomenon can be at work in Christians' personal lives, he said. "The Holy Spirit pushes us" to live the Gospel more seriously, but resistance is often one's reply. Pope Francis ended his homily encouraging everyone to pray for docility to the Holy Spirit, "to that Spirit who comes to us and urges us forward on the path to holiness."
Sep 15 new
(quote) Laura-695247 said: I don't have time for that. I am renovating a house!
You have access to the threads...if you have time you can look for it, Thanks!
Laura, with all due respect, your refusal to do so does not necessarily make you wrong, but it does allow those of us that have a hard time coming up with such situations question your credibility. Just one example where that was done would suffice for me, probably William also, but I won't speak for him. If you are not willing to back it up, then don't make the allegation :) It's a serious one.

Those of us that take our faith seriously ask for facts and seek the truth, lest we be scandalized, which does further harm.

As for me, if someone is condemning me to hell, I tend to recall the incident pretty clearly. It would appear that you would too as it obviously appears to have affected you.

OR is it something, or some form of behavior, that someone, or more than once, or even over and over, condemned as a sin, that seems to touch you personally in a form of outcome you do not like which none probably know about openly - yet others are really not directing at you specifically - but at the sinful behavior in general.

Laura, I do not know that this is the case, I am just wondering and asking.br>
In such a case, all we need to do, is check our behavior (it applies to me too) to that of Christ's teaching - all of it, not just some of it that could be used to water the matter down - and when we know what Christ expects, we can then see if our work, our behavior honors Him or makes matters worse.

We are all sinners, no doubt. But for the love of the Lord, we should be willing to do our best because it pleases Him.
Posts 41 - 50 of 121