Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Sep 16th 2013 new
(quote) Jean-504066 said: "yada"
And some yatter and yatata about yada

en.wikipedia.org

www.thisdayinquotes.com

Sep 16th 2013 new
You're welcome. wink
Sep 19th 2013 new
I do not agree. I think sex naturally bonds both man and woman to each other, but each of them can also choose to resist this bonding and to put a lesser degree of meaning on the act. Both a man and a woman are perfectly capable of using the other for physical pleasure and sometimes do. I believe the natural bonding is one of the reasons pre-marital sex is immoral. Actions which produce such bonding should only be engaged in by a man and a woman who are married, and have made a lifetime commitment to the other, -who have demonstrated that they want to be bonded.
Sep 21st 2013 new
I agree.
But think you will agree with the points I attempted to make, that:
- it's more likely the woman who reads too much into the act
- it's more likely the man who treats it lightly.
Feb 5th 2014 new
(quote) Michelle-860764 said: Is that the same as being married in God's eyes.

"to know someone in the biblical sense"

So, where is this phrase written in the bible?

Feb 10th 2014 new
(quote) Cindy-534370 said:

"to know someone in the biblical sense"

So, where is this phrase written in the bible?

Genesis 19:5

And they called Lot, and said to him: Where are the men that came in to thee at night? bring them out hither that we may know them:

That's the Douay-Rheims; the New International Version renders it as:

They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."

Feb 10th 2014 new
(quote) Michelle-860764 said: I always thought if you made that commitment with someone it binds you together in some way. Not always in a good way either. I don't know. Is the act of sex meaningless without marriage, I know the Church is not in favor of it? Oh I find all of this to be so confusing, I'm just trying to understand how this all comes together for a happy ending.
To know someone in the biblical sense is a euphemism for having had sexual intercourse. And, yes without marriage sex is pretty much meaningless. And, you do bind yourself to another in the sexual act, but there is joining in the complementary fashion of two souls becoming one in the sacramental marital covenant and there is binding by exchanging DNA and triggering our bodies responses that facilitate bonding. . .but it is an act that is essentially a falsehood. Without the commitment and the sacrament given to each other in the Sacrament, then what you have is like a pirated copy of a movie just not the real thing and the quality is lacking. Because sex prompts our body's bonding facilitating reactions and because it can feel very good, it is very easy for people to delude themselves into it being a good thing. Engagement in sexual encounters with more than one person outside of the marital covenant seriously confuses not only our bodies but our minds. What is more, within the Sacramental marital covenant are graces which allow us to navigate the hills and valleys of married life -- something not found in non-marital "biblical knowing".
Feb 11th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Genesis 19:5

And they called Lot, and said to him: Where are the men that came in to thee at night? bring them out hither that we may know them:

They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."

Thanks Paul, that was helpful to know this. flower

Feb 11th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: ...If you are lucky you really can become one heart, one mind. But I don't think many achieve it.
- probably just as well if only two achieve it. smile
Feb 11th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Genesis 19:5

And, of course, from the Annunciation: "And Mary said to the angel: How shall this be done, because I know not man?" (Luke 1:34)
Posts 11 - 20 of 20