Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Sep 22nd 2013 new
Ed, I agree with your comments wholeheartedly. We need to understand the full context, before we digest what others or the media says.

Persons and organizations who hate the Church especially the secular media deliberately quote and present the Pope's comments out of context. I just expect it all the time. The media will always take advantage of their ability to influence for a time. Rarely do we find a balanced report.

Early on, the media fell in love with Francis, because for some reason they thought he sides on matters like they do. It is not true. The Holy Spirit guides, no matter what the disposition of a pope.

Like Katherine, I will not oppose Church leadership, unless clearly given no alternative, when clearly contrary to constant Catholic teaching.

The devil knows that final victory eludes him. Find comfort in it.... while the battle rages now. Do not give in!!!
Sep 22nd 2013 new
Good comments Katherine!

Just FYI, the "40 Days for Life" will kick off next week here in Oregon - I think the 25th. I will take active part at one of PP's centers not too far from where I live. We have been notified that our new Archbishop Sample, will come join us on Sept 27th for a brief time, to lead us in prayer right in front of a Planned Parenthood center. He may have plans to be present at other sites on different days throughout the 40 days. I don't ever remember any of our local Bishops doing that before.

Is that not awesome!!!I it is unfortunate that I will miss witnessing it first hand, as I will be out of town beginning that day, until Oct 6th.

The pro-life movement is getting stronger; it grows; it's not going away.
Sep 22nd 2013 new
Maybe it simply means getting back to the teachings of the bible?
Gay marriage, contraception and abortion were not issues in the times of Jesus.
If this is in tiny part of a 1200 page letter it might be taken many different ways.
Sep 22nd 2013 new
It just means that all things essential for each human's salvation are important.

Sodomy and fornications of all types were a HUGE issue in Christ's time on earth. Denying this, a person lays plain their lack of understanding of the history in Christ's time on earth and the bible also. Homosexual behavior alone is singled out as most grave, over and over again, as was adulterous behavior, yet those so disposed to defend it have found ways to cloud what is as clear as a sunny day. God help us and them.

Sins of the flesh are the largest category that offends God. It seems to me that this has always been the case.

Pope Francis is not sweeping it under the rug!!!
Sep 22nd 2013 new
(quote) John-971967 said: It just means that all things essential for each human's salvation are important.

Sodomy and fornications of all types were a HUGE issue in Christ's time on earth. Denying this, a person lays plain their lack of understanding of the history in Christ's time on earth and the bible also. Homosexual behavior alone is singled out as most grave, over and over again, as was adulterous behavior, yet those so disposed to defend it have found ways to cloud what is as clear as a sunny day. God help us and them.

Sins of the flesh are the largest category that offends God. It seems to me that this has always been the case.

Pope Francis is not sweeping it under the rug!!!
That's not what is being done.
Sep 22nd 2013 new
(quote) John-971967 said: Pope Francis is not sweeping it under the rug!!!
That is not what is being done.
Sep 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Kelsey-802691 said: That is not what is being done.
You think that the pope is sweeping it under the rug?

The present pope is expecting more of the local ordinaries. Let us watch what he is doing. I suggest that we double up our efforts to expect more involvement on the issues of homosexuality, contraception, abortion, euthanasia, general care for the poor, the sick, etc. from our local bishops.
Sep 22nd 2013 new
More daily Catholic action, properly disposed, in all aspects directly affecting us! Faith in practice; let's do this!!!
Sep 22nd 2013 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: POPE FRANCIS INTERVIEW - The full text of the 3-session interview

Check out the full text of the interview as reported in "American - The National Catholic Review" magazine.
http://americamagazine.org/pope-interview

Jack (752986) originally posted this in the "Culture and Current Events" forum, under the topic "Pope Francis Interview - America mag.

You may want to check out the posts on that other forum too.
-----------------------------

There do appear to be a number of things that I'm sure will be taken out of context by the media.... which is why I suggest reading the interview.

I did a fast read of the interview and I sure that I missed a number of things. I will likely read it again very soon, as it contained a lot to absorb.

Just my thoughts.

Ed

Thank you Ed. I checked out the link to the full text interview...still reading it, but looks very informative & a like good peek into the life of Papa Francis. I see the pope as our humble servant to the Catholic Church and will carefully tread while listening to the Lord's wisdom and the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
Sep 22nd 2013 new
(quote) John-971967 said: Ed, I agree with your comments wholeheartedly. We need to understand the full context, before we digest what others or the media says.

Persons and organizations who hate the Church especially the secular media deliberately quote and present the Pope's comments out of context. I just expect it all the time. The media will always take advantage of their ability to influence for a time. Rarely do we find a balanced report.
John,

After reading a large article in the (rather left-leaning) Sacramento Bee newspaper (about the interview), I had to wonder if they were even writing about the same Pope Francis. It is discouraging when it appears that some media intentionally tries to distort what he says.

Incidentally, I think that one of the practices that Pope Francis is trying to eliminate (concerning his comments) is this.... I understand that in Brazil (where he was Arch-Bishop) there was/is a rather common practice of some priests/bishops not baptizing babies whom were/are born out of wedlock or to parents that were not getting married. I think that is part of what he is getting at in that it was better to show mercy to get the baby baptized and then try to repair the other obvious problems with the relationship later.

Ed
Posts 41 - 50 of 200