Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

prenup agreements

Sep 25th 2013 new
Does anyone know what the church's attitude on prenup agreements. A close friend of mine told me they were against them but I can't find it anywhere. Also does anyone know of a good website about prenups or books about them.

Thanks for the help!
Sep 25th 2013 new
Aren't pre-nuptial agreements against Church teachings? I'm pretty sure, since they open the door to dissolving the marriage which is to be a permanent bond.
Sep 25th 2013 new
from CatholicAnswers: "The Catholic Church does not automatically reject all prenuptial agreements. For example, if the man and woman had previously been married, their spouses had died, if each person already had children and if the woman and man wanted to settle inheritance issues for those children, a prenuptial agreement might be perfectly acceptable to the church, as long as it reflects assurances given during the marriage ceremony. Prenuptial agreements, of course, must observe applicable civil laws and should be drawn up by a licensed professional, usually a lawyer. Before the bride and groom exchange their consent, the Catholic Church, through its official representative, asks them three questions: Have you come here freely and without reservation to give yourselves to each other in marriage? Will you love and honor each other as man and wife for the rest of your lives? Will you accept children lovingly from God and bring them up according to the law of Christ and his church? The Rite of Marriage states that the third question may be omitted if, for example, the couple isadvanced in years. Each person answers each question separately. If the wedding is celebrated, with permission, in another church or in a public place and does not use the Catholic Churchs Rite of Marriage, the Catholic Church has already asked these questions in its marriage planning programs and the bride and groom have signed their consent. Because of that, the Catholic Church regards any prenuptial agreement that contradicts one of those elements as invalidating this marriage as a sacramental one. For example, the Catholic Church would not recognize any prenuptial agreement that specified that this commitment was not exclusive, lifelong or open to children."
Sep 25th 2013 new
oops -- sorry -- that was from St Anthony Messenger
Sep 25th 2013 new
Thanks Rachel, I appreciate your imput.
Sep 26th 2013 new
Per a practicing Catholic attorney whom I know, prenuptial agreements are not only not in concert with Catholic beliefs - but moreover are termed "pre-divorce agreements" as 90% of those marriages do end in divorce. Just passing it on....
Sep 27th 2013 new
Thank you Carol for that information. I am getting mixed messages so I guess I will check things out at my Diocese and see what happens. I believe they have to be written in a certain way and just to protect assets in wills and trusts. This particular important in marriages with people of advanced ages with children etc. We will see what happens could be a deal breaker for me.
Sep 27th 2013 new
Always best to check with an attorney in your state,
Best regards, Carol
Oct 2nd 2013 new
It seems contrary to the vows.When you do this are you contradicting the fact that Catholic marriage is till death do us path? scratchchin
Oct 2nd 2013 new
(quote) Carol-1007500 said: Always best to check with an attorney in your state,
Best regards, Carol
I would prefer to check a priest.
www.catholic.com
Posts 1 - 10 of 17