Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Oct 12th 2013 new
(quote) Sam-427739 said: Hmm. I enjoy being 8 and I'm sticking with it. I've been practicing for 35 years and I'm getting pretty good. I can ride my bike, rollerblade, camp, dance and play. I read, write, laugh and cry as I see fit. I draw pictures with sidewalk chalk and make silly faces at the other kids, (they just happen to be mine). I make friends based on whether people are kind and fun. I am mostly worry-free, unless we are talking about the availability of dessert. I am completely certain of God's love and my inability to manage my life by myself, the behavior of other humans or the world at large. Yep. Eight is awesome and I'm sticking with it.
Sam - Thank you for a very hearty laugh this morning, and hope you never grow out of being 8.
Oct 12th 2013 new

When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. "Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
C.S. Lewis

Oct 12th 2013 new
Hi Marcy,

Thank you for the Scripture quotes. Would it not be wonderful to combine, like C.S. Lewis and St. Thomas Aquinas, the "piety of a child with the wisdom of an adult?" In a favorite book by a Catholic mystic it says Mary had the "purity, affection, and love of the most holy children, together with wisdom, justice, and fortitude of adults." That is the 'age' I'd like to be!
Oct 12th 2013 new
Hello Elizabeth!

"Now" as the perfect age has lots of insight. Of course, I am practical too. The ability to live in the present moment, one's own age, and not regret the past or fret the future, is a gift some persons have. The slogans "Carpe Deum" (Dead Poet Society) and "Acuna Matata" 'no worries' (Lion King) come to mind.

What your comment also recalled was the title of a New Age best selling book, 2 million copies, by Eckart Tolle called "The Power of Now". This would take this thread far afield, but I can not resist noting a real difference between a Buddhist and a Catholic approach to living in the 'now', the 'timeless' present moment. For a Catholic, this would not mean denying the Cross of suffering or the loving omnipresence of our Triune God. Nor, would it involve rationalizing the past or throwing caution into the wind regarding one's future, both temporal and Eternal.

Thank you for your wonderful insight! This broadens the question to historical age, but one of the reasons G.K. Chesterton became a Catholic is because its 2,000 year history prevents one from being stuck only in the 'now', and "a child of their age". This includes the 'New Age' which is simply a modern repackaging of same nonsense that has been around since Genesis.

Oct 12th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: Sam - Thank you for a very hearty laugh this morning, and hope you never grow out of being 8.
Thanks, Dave. Not much danger of that. As long as I can pay my bills they can't make me grow up!
Oct 13th 2013 new
Well talking about numbers or age....h mmmm I ponder this everyday. My birthday is 7/7 63. So I always have thanked God for each age because He gave me a perfect birthday. Now I'm fifty I have to say its as perfect as I am ...not very!! I think divine love and divine mercy are the only graces that could bring perfection to any age. So I like your thoughts on turning it all over new at 50!
Oct 13th 2013 new
7/7/7 must have been a very cool b-day Happy Birthday!
Oct 13th 2013 new
(quote) David-174079 said: Hi Marcy,

Thank you for the Scripture quotes. Would it not be wonderful to combine, like C.S. Lewis and St. Thomas Aquinas, the "piety of a child with the wisdom of an adult?" In a favorite book by a Catholic mystic it says Mary had the "purity, affection, and love of the most holy children, together with wisdom, justice, and fortitude of adults." That is the 'age' I'd like to be!
Yes David, that would be a perfect age we all wish to be. Mary was the only human being that was perfect at any age. She was the chosen one. It is possible to have that just like Mary. It is however by God's grace and mercy that we can attain perfection for nothing is impossible with God. If we can only open up and accept the grace everyday is the issue most of the time. That is why we continue to ask God's assistance to better our lives, to ask the saints to pray for us and of course our Mother Mary's intercessions.
Oct 13th 2013 new
When I'm seventy seven...I'll let u know
Oct 13th 2013 new
Thanks Dave. Sometimes we need to hear something but not sure what our question is - thanks your timing was great.
GB
God Bless
Posts 31 - 40 of 48