Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Phone calls from charities

Oct 5th 2013 new
I always get plenty of charity requests in the mail. It appears when you give to one, your name gets shared and you hear from so many more. I give to certain ones I like.

Lately, different charities have been calling and it's getting to be a big nuisance! One in particular, a heart association, has been calling frequently and when I answered twice, no one was on the line. On my caller id, they use different phone numbers. They have called early in the am also!

With another charity, the guy started out really smooth, using flattery - saying I had a nice voice. Then he acted like he was my buddy by saying I probably can't afford to give $100, so how about $25. Then he acted like I brought everything on myself. I HAD to stay on the line to talk to someone else so they wouldn't call again. Afterwards, I noticed online that this particular charity isn't registered with the BBB and only 6% of the donations go to the cause.

Is there a good way to stop these calls? boggled Yes I'm on the Do Not Call Registry but charities are exempt from that.
Oct 5th 2013 new
Julie - I HATE these phone calls also. I give a reasonable amount to my church and church-related charities and nothing to those that call. A large proportion of these calls are scam or criminal in nature. One technique is to immediately say firmly: "Put me on the do not call list". Be polite but firm and they are supposed to take you seriously. Do not get into a debate with them. They want to keep you on the line and break down your resistance.

Depending on your sense of humor you can offer to sell THEM something or start talking about anything not related to the purpose of the call. You do not have to listen to what they are saying; they are invading your home. If your phone has caller ID you can refuse to answer anyone you do not know especially blocked calls. There is a certain amount of danger in our times especially for women who live alone. Being very careful with phone calls is one of the ways we can protect ourselves.
Oct 5th 2013 new
If he's softening you up with insincere flattery, that's a red flag. Legitimate charities don't do that. Always tell phone solicitors that you never make a decision based on a phone conversation. I make an exception for several charities that send a truck around to pick up old clothes and household items. They will leave you a slip to fill out for tax purposes. One of the worst is "police" charities. They always have a man with an aggressive, intimidating style making you believe he is a cop. Believe me, they have far better pensions and benefits than most of us. About twenty years ago, I discovered the police benevolent association (or one of their clones) was fleecing my elderly mother out of fifty dollars a week.

My brother has a technique that works for him: when they ask for him from a number he doesn't recognize, he says, "just a moment, I'll get him for you." He puts the phone down and continues whatever he was doing.

Here's another source: http://www.charitywatch.org

Oct 5th 2013 new
(quote) Karen-856326 said: Julie - I HATE these phone calls also. I give a reasonable amount to my church and church-related charities and nothing to those that call. A large proportion of these calls are scam or criminal in nature. One technique is to immediately say firmly: "Put me on the do not call list". Be polite but firm and they are supposed to take you seriously. Do not get into a debate with them. They want to keep you on the line and break down your resistance.

Depending on your sense of humor you can offer to sell THEM something or start talking about anything not related to the purpose of the call. You do not have to listen to what they are saying; they are invading your home. If your phone has caller ID you can refuse to answer anyone you do not know especially blocked calls. There is a certain amount of danger in our times especially for women who live alone. Being very careful with phone calls is one of the ways we can protect ourselves.
You're right. It is a good idea to end the call quickly and not let them go on and on. rolling eyes with their pitch.
Oct 5th 2013 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: If he's softening you up with insincere flattery, that's a red flag. Legitimate charities don't do that. Always tell phone solicitors that you never make a decision based on a phone conversation. I make an exception for several charities that send a truck around to pick up old clothes and household items. They will leave you a slip to fill out for tax purposes. One of the worst is "police" charities. They always have a man with an aggressive, intimidating style making you believe he is a cop. Believe me, they have far better pensions and benefits than most of us. About twenty years ago, I discovered the police benevolent association (or one of their clones) was fleecing my elderly mother out of fifty dollars a week.

My brother has a technique that works for him: when they ask for him from a number he doesn't recognize, he says, "just a moment, I'll get him for you." He puts the phone down and continues whatever he was doing.

Here's another source: http://www.charitywatch.org

The Police (in NY) and I'm pretty sure in other states do NOT solicit for funds over the phone. That sounds like a big time scam. I feel bad that they did that to your mother.

I tried the "Julie's not here" and one guy actually said, "Oh, I can talk to you then." He went on with his pitch and started calling me Julie. Guess I didn't fool him. I did tell him "no."
Oct 6th 2013 new
(quote) Julie-42315 said: I always get plenty of charity requests in the mail. It appears when you give to one, your name gets shared and you hear from so many more. I give to certain ones I like.

Lately, different charities have been calling and it's getting to be a big nuisance! One in particular, a heart association, has been calling frequently and when I answered twice, no one was on the line. On my caller id, they use different phone numbers. They have called early in the am also!

With another charity, the guy started out really smooth, using flattery - saying I had a nice voice. Then he acted like he was my buddy by saying I probably can't afford to give $100, so how about $25. Then he acted like I brought everything on myself. I HAD to stay on the line to talk to someone else so they wouldn't call again. Afterwards, I noticed online that this particular charity isn't registered with the BBB and only 6% of the donations go to the cause.

Is there a good way to stop these calls? Yes I'm on the Do Not Call Registry but charities are exempt from that.
The political calls during election time is another pain. They are also exempt from complying with the DO NOT CALL lists.

I found that having an unlisted number really cuts down on unsolicited calls of all kinds. But some make it through. The down side is that people you might want to hear from can't find you.

Having a caller ID capability at least will identify whose calling in most cases. Does not work on all cases but most of those who call will be identified.

I have a small electronic device attached to the phone that somehow distinguishes robot dialed calls that come to your phone and blocks them. They used to be sold everywhere a few years back. They were less than $25. They work well but still some get through.

Generally speaking, I just hang up on those kind of calls. But there are other strategies you can use. Keep a whistle handy (the kind used by referees at sporting events), when one of those calls comes in, just blow it as loud as possible into the microphone part of the phone.
Oct 7th 2013 new
Screen your calls.

I haven't answered my home phone in nearly 18 years, except if I'm expecting the call. If it's someone important, I'll call back.
Oct 7th 2013 new
(quote) Julie-42315 said: You're right. It is a good idea to end the call quickly and not let them go on and on. with their pitch.
Good idea. Better yet -- just set the phone down and go on with your business. Eventually they will figure it out.

Oct 7th 2013 new
(quote) Julie-42315 said: I always get plenty of charity requests in the mail. It appears when you give to one, your name gets shared and you hear from so many more. I give to certain ones I like.

Is there a good way to stop these calls? Yes I'm on the Do Not Call Registry but charities are exempt from that.
One thing to keep in mind is that you can NOT trust the information in the Caller ID display: there are devices that can be used to make change this to anything the caller desires.

Oct 7th 2013 new
There are many ways to handle this:

1. Hang up.

2. Say no thanks then hang up.

3. Say 'hold on a sec' then put down the phone and go back to what you were doing.

4. See if you can change the subject, get them off track.

5. Blow a really loud whistle into the phone.

6. If you have a really young toddler, hand them the phone and say "Barney wants to talk to you!"

7. Hang up.

8. When the callers asked how are you today, start sobbing and launch into a graphic tale of woe.

9. Hang up.
Posts 1 - 10 of 18