Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

alcohol

Oct 09 new
there are plenty of drinking jokes/sayings pertaining to drinking....as in I'll drink to that! Do you think that drinking can be an issue for problems within a relationship / marriage? At every Catholic festival/carnival there is always a booth set up for alcoholic drinks. I even worked at one once and I do believe it made the most money for the parish.

I used to drink socially but since '94 I haven't had one drink with alcohol in it. In fact, I cannot stand the taste now either. I really don't even care for bourbon balls during Christmas. is there a place in our profiles to add whether we want to get attached to a drinker or a non drinker? I haven't seen it unless I missed it. Don't people want to get on the healthy lifestyle, free from chemicals? drinking does cause fighting in marriages. why would someone intentionally try to destroy their marriage?

why do you think it's socially acceptable for Catholics to consume alcoholic beverages as some do?
Oct 09 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: there are plenty of drinking jokes/sayings pertaining to drinking....as in I'll drink to that! Do you think that drinking can be an issue for problems within a relationship / marriage? At every Catholic festival/carnival there is always a booth set up for alcoholic drinks. I even worked at one once and I do believe it made the most money for the parish.

I used to drink socially but since '94 I haven't had one drink with alcohol in it. In fact, I cannot stand the taste now either. I really don't even care for bourbon balls during Christmas. is there a place in our profiles to add whether we want to get attached to a drinker or a non drinker? I haven't seen it unless I missed it. Don't people want to get on the healthy lifestyle, free from chemicals? drinking does cause fighting in marriages. why would someone intentionally try to destroy their marriage?

why do you think it's socially acceptable for Catholics to consume alcoholic beverages as some do?
thank goodness it is listed in our profiles.
Oct 09 new
Moderate alcohol consumption can actually be healthy and would not destroy a marriage. It's alcoholism causes major problems in relationships and marriages. Still, it's always all right to teetotal.

Oct 10 new
(quote) Jean-504066 said: Moderate alcohol consumption can actually be healthy and would not destroy a marriage. It's alcoholism causes major problems in relationships and marriages. Still, it's always all right to teetotal.

if it stayed moderate between the husband and wife or boyfriend/girlfriend but whose to say that when one comes home or over to visit after being out with their friends a little too tipsy, that major fights may break out over consuming too much alcohol.
I think it becomes a problem when the couple forgets when to draw the line by stopping at one or two drinks.

Do you remember reading about a group of young mothers who met weekly for play dates with their babies and young children, who sat around drinking wine? that certainly wasn't a good idea, IMO.

after my divorce, I found comfort in drinking when I went out with friends. I didn't know when to stop. I would say that I had some really great times back then. Once I met my boyfriend then who was a heavy drinker of Bloody Mary's made with Gin..and spent evenings with his parents who also drank the same drink, I soon discovered that I was hoping for a much different lifestyle. I believe experience will lead you to the right direction once it becomes known to you.
Oct 10 new
St Augustine is one of the greats, but he was wrong about this. I'll just leave this here... Wherever the Catholic sun doth shone/There's always laughter and good red wine/At least I've always found it so/Benedicamus Domino!
Oct 10 new
(quote) Tom-975374 said: St Augustine is one of the greats, but he was wrong about this. I'll just leave this here... Wherever the Catholic sun doth shone/There's always laughter and good red wine/At least I've always found it so/Benedicamus Domino!
Oh, really now? So we're supposed to take it on your authority alone, with nary a word of explanation, that a doctor of the Church is in error? scratchchin rolling eyes
Oct 10 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Oh, really now? So we're supposed to take it on your authority alone, with nary a word of explanation, that a doctor of the Church is in error?
Calm down bro. You don't have to take it on my word alone, it's pretty common knowledge that St Augustine advocated teetotalism and considered drinking wine at dinner to be a vice. An obvious reaction to his wayward years and an opinion that, needless to say, is wrong.

You need to have a drink. I'm not a modernist subverting doctrine; I'm a traditionalist having fun. Enjoy life my man.
Oct 10 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: why do you think it's socially acceptable for Catholics to consume alcoholic beverages as some do?
Because, when not excessive, one is able to maintain control of one's senses, ones behavior, etc.

Because in practically all cultures, it is used as a means to enhance social interaction and a symbolic expression of camaraderie.

We can be responsible with the use of alcohol.
Oct 10 new
You would say these, wouldn't you, Mister Portland, from, if Wikicanon is to be believed, Brewtopia, Beervana, City of 'Rosays', 'Stumbletown' (OK, 'Stumptown' then, we'll withdraw that last entry) ....
Oct 10 new
For many years I never had more alcohol than in a dose of cough medicine or my daily sip at Mass. Then I went through a period of having trouble sleeping at night and tried sipping a glass of wine as I prayed my evening prayers from the Book of Christian Prayer (Liturgy of the Hours) and found it to be an enjoyable way to end the day.
I much prefer to have a glass of something with friends, but having more than two over the course of an evening is too much, I feel, at least for me as I'm not very big. Alcohol in high doses is a poison, after all.
People who can't stop themselves at a couple drinks or whose purpose is To Get Drunk really shouldn't drink at all as that is abusing their own bodies. Some people like to get drunk because they then feel they can excuse every mean, dumb, immoral thing they do and blame it on the alcohol, saying they didn't know what they were doing. They made the choice to drink so they really are totally accountable for their words and actions.
If the drink is just an enhancement of the meal or evening, it is not wrong, I feel.
Posts 1 - 10 of 79