Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 13th 2013 new
(quote) David-174079 said: Interesting how the Internet is a lifesaver for small town Catholics? Or, for those who have few practicing Catholics nearby. It is an amazing miracle to me still, to wake up to a cup of coffee, another 75 degree sunny day in paradise, and visit with a fellow believer in China.
I'm always looking for new Catholic forums, if you know of any (mostly social)... Our night temps are the same as yours (for now). Day temps in mid eighties today. Sunrise
Oct 13th 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: They did have a video option in the past.It was short lived though.Not sure why.
I think the video option is great if a person is really photogenic or has a really outgoing personality. However, not everyone is an extrovert, and it may also be difficult to police things in the video that are not "Catholic" or even Christian... and that may mean more staff would need to be hired to review all the hours of video footage. Maybe it's just not practical from the management perspective, and that is why it was short lived.
Oct 13th 2013 new
Hi Joan,

CM has been around for some time now. I would enjoy reading the best insights attending to what, especially highly intuitive, sensate, relationship oriented, religiously grounded persons experience on digital media. An experience that might be like taking a fish out water and then dissecting it into parts to understand it. I use this analogy because of the old adage "there are a lot more fish in the sea" goldfish goldfish goldfish

Say "there are more fish in the sea" to a person who is grieving over a deep love (mother, husband, or even pet) and they will rightly recoil at the insensitivity of the comment; despite the other person's best intentions to impart hope. Why? Because it views love from the outside, not from the inside, in a cold, dispassionate, pragmatic, and quantitative light. A scientist, engineer or business executive might see love as an interchangeable part. But, certainly a loving poet, pastor, child or parent would not.

Love is not something that can be extracted from the ocean of one's other loving relationships without some sort of violence. This, to me, is the first most terminal operation that occurs through long-distance technology. There is no need to dissect later. Death by asphyxiation is inevitable. No community. hug No more breath. faint No human spirit. Praying No Holy Spirit. cloud No love life. lovestruck!

The older generation would laugh even at this lamentation. Gone are the days of dinner table family gatherings with father, mother, brothers and sisters wittingly and wisely cross checking each other's new acquaintances. Gone are the Sock Hops, community dance halls, and family porch courtships. They would say it has been all down hill since the invention of the automobile and TV. I joked with a lady who had six brothers, "How in the heck is any guy going to get through that guantlet to win your hand?" I have some very discerning sisters at my Parish, but I thought to myself,"any lady who will pique my interest for long will have to endure my screening committee of six brothers: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, and Paul". biggrin

I would like to revisit the theme of the "dissection to kill" process that happens after we all are unnaturally removed from our loving environments. I feel safe on CM. However, it does not feel like a "Sacred Environment" but it feels like a fairly safe one. I know that the experience for many women must be almost fearful. There are sharks lurking in guppy suits in these waters. My first and only direct (horrific) encounter with this predatory evil was at a Catholic university. I think the screens are sufficient here, but caution is always advisable. One only has to watch a movie like "Breach" or Vatican News to know that even the most Catholic environment is not fail safe. In fact, they invite an even greater Menace.

On that cheerful note I have to go! eyepopping (sorry...never know where my writing will go..) Off to Mass! :praying: :rosary: :theheart:

Oct 13th 2013 new
(quote) Ana-1009178 said: Kathy, my children and I love going south to the Keys. As a matter of fact, we will be meeting my parents there for Thanksgiving this year. We are so excited!!

I hope you are having a lovely weekend!!
You too, Ana! hug

I spent a lot of time commuting to Kendall last year, to Baptist Health. Over my years here, I have been able to explore a lot of areas of Miami and the Beaches, and the familiarity breeds confidence towards driving in the area (to some extent laughing ). Overall, it has a lot going for it! thumbsup
Oct 13th 2013 new
(quote) Kathy-99973 said: Over my years here, I have been able to explore a lot of areas of Miami and the Beaches, and the familiarity breeds confidence towards driving in the area (to some extent ). 
After living in Miami for 9 years, I'm still not used to the crazy drivers. laughing
Oct 13th 2013 new
(quote) Ana-1009178 said: Kathy, my children and I love going south to the Keys. As a matter of fact, we will be meeting my parents there for Thanksgiving this year. We are so excited!!

I hope you are having a lovely weekend!!
As someone who lives outside of Florida and loves the keys, I can tell you that it has been too long since I was last there. I have traveled there on business and for pleasure (Scuba diving), and have many fond memories of the place. One of the best was driving from Key West to Fort Lauderdale (for a flight home) leaving Key West at 4am and watching the Perseid meteor shower all the way to Miami up US1. Then there is John Pennecamp, and Big Pine Key among many others that are great for diving and snorkeling... I have yet to make my way to the Tortugas.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
Oct 13th 2013 new
(quote) Jim-624621 said: I have yet to make my way to the Tortugas.

We haven't either. Hope to squeeze it in over our holiday stay in Key West. biggrin
Oct 13th 2013 new
agree with Skype. Nothing replaces person to person conversations but video chating is the best choice for most because of work schedules, distances. I do not like texting other than a quick note because it does not tell you the tone of voice they are using and sometimes I get the wrong impression from them.
Oct 13th 2013 new
David, keep on writing! not that many people can do that (me). you have so many good points in this post.
Oct 13th 2013 new
(quote) Adam-399324 said: The medium is certainly a very big problem, but it could be surmounted much better than it typically is here. CM profiles are, as a rule, lamentably banal. They're full of vague generalities and lack specific details of the type that might seek to illumine anything really credible about the person - the kind of details that might actually lead to some real interest in meeting someone.

In four years here there have been only a couple times when a profile made me actually have a concrete desire to meet someone, as opposed to just informing me that some young lady happened to check off all the basic criteria I happen to be looking for. I contact the women in the later group, to be sure, but the first is certainly more exciting! On another site I am familiar with, there are really great profiles, with lots of interesting details and anecdotes, and I often come across people whom I would like to meet, if not date since the religious aspect is almost always a problem. To be fair, it could be much, much worse than it is [speaking strictly of banality here, not about all the truly dastardly stuff out there].

Do you feel like it's a problem with the way the profile system is set up, or just the way people on CM tend to create their profiles? I've never explored the secular dating sites so I'm not really familiar with how they are similar or different than CM. I will agree that I often see the same things on men's sites... "I'll keep this short and sweet..." "Looking for a nice girl to spend time with", no pictures ...etc, with very little about the actual person creating the profile. While it's true that just the computer interface makes it hard to connect, it is even harder when you can't get a sense of who the person is behind the monitor.

(And if you have any tips on how we can improve our profiles, please pass them along! :) )
Posts 51 - 60 of 104