Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Oct 18th 2013 new
I attempted to homeschool with my elder son, who had just finished 9th grade. Dismal failure!!!! He was not a self-starter, nor am I a "helicopter parent" who was able or willing to stand over him while he did the work. I've been told by successful homeschoolers that you have to begin when the kids are young, before they get to their teens and the parents know nothing. eyebrow

Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Sol-496426 said:
What do you think about homeschooling? It is something that in Spain is not even permitted, I mean, all the kids go to school, and In Germany a family were homeschooling & that got them in trouble last summer ! http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/30/brutal-and-vicious-armed-german-police-storm-homeschoolin...
But having been in the States and seeing that some people have beenn homeschooled & students in my school for one year, or a family that homeschooled their eldest kids (they have 8) I decided to read more on it & research as sometimes this topic has been brought up. After all, as a parent, we will want the best for our kids! I was mostly impressed by this family:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2311690/The-family-sending-home-schooled-children-college-...

Have you considered homeschooling? What are the pros you see? and cons? While I understand each experience is unique and I am happy with my education, I also feel I was very lucky with my classmates and did not experience bullying. Something that can cause kids have anxiety when going to school, dropping grades, etc. Having a safe school environment is very important too. I would love to hear your views on this topic!

When it comes to homeschooling it is a great idea if the parents are like Anne, Bernard, and Joan and a number of others who have done it and were involved with the homeschooling. But if the home environment is anything like what the children, next door to where I used to live before moving back to my home town, were subject to, then it is a better to send them to a public school.

Mom was laying around the house and relying on her eldest child to look after the other five kids and she still needed to take the baby to a daycare facility 2 times a week to give herself a break. Dad would come home and go online to do his children's homework and test. Then when the parents would dress up to go out on the town or some party every weekend the kids would let loose and romp through that single wide trailer all eight of them lived in as soon as the parents pulled out of that driveway..
Oct 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: I attempted to homeschool with my elder son, who had just finished 9th grade. Dismal failure!!!! He was not a self-starter, nor am I a "helicopter parent" who was able or willing to stand over him while he did the work. I've been told by successful homeschoolers that you have to begin when the kids are young, before they get to their teens and the parents know nothing.

Thank you Marge for your feedback, I found truly amuzing the way you expressed yourself: helicopter concept. It can be applied to other scenarios! I am going to steal the concept from you! :)
Oct 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: When it comes to homeschooling it is a great idea if the parents are like Anne, Bernard, and Joan and a number of others who have done it and were involved with the homeschooling. But if the home environment is anything like what the children, next door to where I used to live before moving back to my home town, were subject to, then it is a better to send them to a public school.

Mom was laying around the house and relying on her eldest child to look after the other five kids and she still needed to take the baby to a daycare facility 2 times a week to give herself a break. Dad would come home and go online to do his children's homework and test. Then when the parents would dress up to go out on the town or some party every weekend the kids would let loose and romp through that single wide trailer all eight of them lived in as soon as the parents pulled out of that driveway..
I wonder the reasons that led that family to homeschool. I imagine reasons can be varied and different from family to family. Being at a school I am growing in concern about some things kids are inevitable exposed today through the media, peers, and so on & some influences can be devastating for their mind & souls. Some families do really great though and some kids give me loads of hope too that it is possible.
Oct 24th 2013 new
(quote) Sol-496426 said: I wonder the reasons that led that family to homeschool. I imagine reasons can be varied and different from family to family. Being at a school I am growing in concern about some things kids are inevitable exposed today through the media, peers, and so on & some influences can be devastating for their mind & souls. Some families do really great though and some kids give me loads of hope too that it is possible.
It is hard to imagine what the parents motives were other than the fact they were backwards, but those children were strange and the only interaction they had outside that trailer was when they went to church or their first cousins home. The parents prohibited their children from activities with other children in the neighborhood, and yet there were incidents when the parents had their heads turned in the other direction and the children were engaging in inappropriate behavior. Their mentality could be defined as inbred. The wife actually did come from an inbred family tree.
Oct 24th 2013 new
I homeschooled my first 3 kids from the beginning and they were far ahead of their peers when they entered the Catholic school and then public school. My three that graduated from high school so far have been Valedictorian, Salutatorian, and Valedictorian in their classes at the high school level, then were admitted to the honors colleges of their choice and maintained 4.0 grades, even in premed as my third child is studying now.
If I had the opportunity, I would homeschool my two youngest children, but need to work to support us so put them in school. There are 'weird' families in the public schools, in the private schools, in homeschools -- the weirdness of any one family does not make the rest of them weird or disordered too.
And shyness is not fixed just by sending children to school -- it's better to build the children's confidence and help them in safe environments.My oldest son and oldest daughter were clinging children but grew to be able to stand up for himself/herself and others in the face of bullying, unfair treatment by teachers or officials, and even to fly off to colleges far across the country alone and without a support group and then make friends and succeed.
I work in the public schools and parochial school and also with homeschooled families -- there are all kinds in each type!
Oct 24th 2013 new

I homeschooled 2 of my kids for one year. I had a 2nd grader who could not learn to read and a 5th grader who couldn't grasp math. I worked with them for one year and caught them up to grade level or beyond in their weakest subjects. I used textbooks recommended from a support network. It was a success and I would have continued except for problems in the marriage and the need to work.

Now, decades later, community centers in good-sized cities have activities and classes to supplement homeschooling. The center near us has gymnastics, swimming, martial arts, soccer, music lessons, arts and crafts classes and even cooking plus the chance to socialize with other kids. This is not expensive. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere there is no reason homeschooled kids cannot have every advantage that other children have.

Oct 24th 2013 new
(quote) Karen-856326 said:

I homeschooled 2 of my kids for one year. I had a 2nd grader who could not learn to read and a 5th grader who couldn't grasp math. I worked with them for one year and caught them up to grade level or beyond in their weakest subjects. I used textbooks recommended from a support network. It was a success and I would have continued except for problems in the marriage and the need to work.

Now, decades later, community centers in good-sized cities have activities and classes to supplement homeschooling. The center near us has gymnastics, swimming, martial arts, soccer, music lessons, arts and crafts classes and even cooking plus the chance to socialize with other kids. This is not expensive. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere there is no reason homeschooled kids cannot have every advantage that other children have.

The center in Franklin Indiana has gymnastics, swimming, martial arts, soccer, music lessons, arts and those other things you mentioned plus more, also. Yet the neighbors would not go near that place as they had issues with who all had use of that facility. Without regulations on homeschooling in ones state, parents can get away with getting around the laws when it comes to their own children's education. It really depends on the state you live in.
Oct 24th 2013 new
(quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: The center in Franklin Indiana has gymnastics, swimming, martial arts, soccer, music lessons, arts and those other things you mentioned plus more, also. Yet the neighbors would not go near that place as they had issues with who all had use of that facility. Without regulations on homeschooling in ones state, parents can get away with getting around the laws when it comes to their own children's education. It really depends on the state you live in.
Elizabeth - I don't get your meaning. Was the facility avoided because of crime, drugs or other unsafe conditions or was it a racial thing? In this area, parents can sit in if they wish.
Oct 24th 2013 new
(quote) Karen-856326 said: Elizabeth - I don't get your meaning. Was the facility avoided because of crime, drugs or other unsafe conditions or was it a racial thing? In this area, parents can sit in if they wish.
It wasn't do to drugs, crime, or unsafe conditions, or a racial thing. They never actually went there and check the facility out.
These folks chose not to use this facilities because ,They Said, some of the instructors were of an anti-Christ like nature. Turns out those instructors they were talking about were Catholic, which they had found by word of mouth. But from what I had witnessed on a daily basis while going about my chores it was more of an excuse to not get their children involved in healthy activities for fear that it was too much of a sacrifice for them to make.
Posts 41 - 50 of 61