Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 15th 2013 new
I love that Movie!!
You are so right, Jim. Thanks for bringing it up -

biggrin
Oct 15th 2013 new
Wendy, I have most of the movies mentioned on my bookshelf. I love them, so much, they are a reminder of how our Lord intended us to walk the road leading up to commitment.
Oct 15th 2013 new
Good movie, certainly worth the time.
Oct 15th 2013 new
I would also recommend everyone get a copy of the companion book, the Forty Day Love Dare and work through it. The last two years before Pete died we both worked through the book during Lent. I think it is beneficial for thought processes that can lead to a successful relationship and I think in many ways it translates int to how we act with our other relationships as well. There is a new version out for parents. There are also Catholic links to the movie and the book online, as well as the version as originally set up. I just bought the movie.
Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Sara-979131 said: I do not follow your (above) logic. It simply does not follow that Art corrolates to a "truly Catholic worldview". And I hardly imagine that the movie is an offense to God.
Dear God...

The movie was poorly done but the message it speaks is wholesome and good in terms of the marriage depicted in the film and their means to healing and sanctification.

an artist,
Sara
I can only think that we have different operational definitions of the word 'correlate'. To me, in this instance at least, it means nothing stronger than 'relates to'. I do not know how anyone would set out to defend the position that somehow a Catholic (which perforce includes 'catholic' as a constituent element) worldview does not relate to Art, so I can only conclude that I do not understand your point. If someone were to attempt to defend such a position it would suffice merely to quote the Catechism (paragraph 2501): "art ... is ordered to and ennobled by the ultimate end of man" which beautifully encapsulates the reciprocal nature of the relationship: art to human flourishing and the pursuit of Heaven ('is ordered to'); human flourishing and the pursuit of Heaven to art ('is ennobled by').

I am not arguing that those who made these movies committed some sort of confession-worthy offense. I am certainly not arguing that those who watch them do. However, there are other offenses than these. God wants us to live out our lives with the incredibly incarnational drama of the saints. Protestant speechifying on the silver screen is the opposite of incarnational and anything but drama.

Oct 15th 2013 new
Maybe it's me. Maybe it's mostly a guy thing. Facing the Giants I rather enjoyed. Fireproof eh not so much. I found the acting poor, the story line forced and the theology terrible. Then again I'm not a Cameron fan either. He has done considerable damage over the years with his left behind drivel as well as his shall we say dislike for Catholics.

There is no magical formula to save a marriage or make it fireproof. It takes hard work, commitment and sacrifice on the part of both. That and tons of grace.
Oct 15th 2013 new
I mostly like movies with witty dialogue and/or stuff blowing up, (The Thomas Crowne Affair, The Long Kiss Goodnight, The Negotiator), but I have a soft spot for this one. Once or twice a year I watch "Fireproof" and have a good cry. Thanks for reminding me of this one, Jim.
Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: Maybe it's me. Maybe it's mostly a guy thing. Facing the Giants I rather enjoyed. Fireproof eh not so much. I found the acting poor, the story line forced and the theology terrible. Then again I'm not a Cameron fan either. He has done considerable damage over the years with his left behind drivel as well as his shall we say dislike for Catholics.

There is no magical formula to save a marriage or make it fireproof. It takes hard work, commitment and sacrifice on the part of both. That and tons of grace.
I still have not seen movies or read books mention in this thread.. but it is always nice to pick and choose... Yes, Tim do agree there is no magical formula (witches stir the pot! Its getting cold!): so called expert advice (i.e. books, newspaper column, etc), books, movies, etc... True Tim, self-sacrifice, heart Praying hug etc contributions and commitment on both part with the union of Blessed Virgin Mary and God grace... every couple/individual is different with different needs and personality that makes one so unique and precious.... Praying hug theheart rosary rose rose :rose:
Oct 15th 2013 new
Both examples are in the form of entertainment in my opinion one via Hollywood the other a novel, one tries to convey the message that God can help save a young mans marriage if he believes and puts in the work,the second has the message of how the devil can lead us to sin.
I prefer the message that God will save you as opposed to the message that the devil will screw you.

Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Adam-399324 said: Protestant speechifying on the silver screen is the opposite of incarnational and anything but drama.

Ditto.
Posts 11 - 20 of 31