Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: There is no magical formula to save a marriage or make it fireproof. It takes hard work, commitment and sacrifice on the part of both. That and tons of grace.
I don't agree with marriage taking sacrifice in a classical sense, but I would be willing to be you mean something more akin to compromise. If that's the case, then I agree with you.

Also, the whole "feel" about the movie (as far as I watched it) was that marriage is primarily for the spouses with no real place for children until the spouses feel like it...(That's opposed to the very Christian doctrine on marriage found in Casti Connubii.) So, while it can seem like a sweet movie that gives people good feelings to watch it, it did not impart an edifying message to me...and I don't believe it truly edifies anyone else who watches it.
Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: Maybe it's me. Maybe it's mostly a guy thing. Facing the Giants I rather enjoyed. Fireproof eh not so much. I found the acting poor, the story line forced and the theology terrible. Then again I'm not a Cameron fan either. He has done considerable damage over the years with his left behind drivel as well as his shall we say dislike for Catholics.

There is no magical formula to save a marriage or make it fireproof. It takes hard work, commitment and sacrifice on the part of both. That and tons of grace.
No it's not just you. I thought it was insulting to any intelligent Christian, never mind Catholic, married person. Even my young adult children thought so.
Oct 16th 2013 new
I think it is a wonderful movie. I've watched it a bunch of times. And how about at the end when she tells him she wants what he has -- a relationship with the Lord! Other good films with a life-affirming message include: October Baby and Bella.
Oct 16th 2013 new
The movie is poorly acted and the plot is a bit contrived. But, like I tell my kids even B movies have something to offer. And, this movie does. The companion book is fantastic. It does have a little protestant feel to it, but I can manage that, because the work and the message are important and there are Catholic support materials for it as well.

Does anyone remember the movie Greed with Michael J Fox? Not quite a B movie but a comedy. I have used that movie multiple times to demonstrate and discuss how we can easily trip down the not so narrow path by making little decisions that are not so bad in relation to the one before and before long you've reached a place you never would have gone to in the first place.
Oct 16th 2013 new
Hi everyone, theheart theheart theheart theheart theheart
I am no movie critic, but I enjoyed it. It was fluff with a message. Most movies today are either garbage or the former. Although, like someone else said, I really enjoyed "Bella" and I enjoyed "Juno" I am probably going to get reemed for that! But my expectations aren't very high when not comes to non-Catholic films.
Oct 16th 2013 new
I'm glad I'm not playing Scrabble. I had to google "speechify" because I was positive it was not a word. OK, it's a word. I have not seen Fireproof yet, but now I absolutely have to see it for myself to see if it actually is that bad.
Oct 17th 2013 new
(quote) Angela-374523 said: I'm glad I'm not playing Scrabble. I had to google "speechify" because I was positive it was not a word. OK, it's a word. I have not seen Fireproof yet, but now I absolutely have to see it for myself to see if it actually is that bad.
:)

FWIW, I made a mistake above. I have never seen "Facing the Giants". I confused it with "Courageous", which is actually a mostly passable film. The 'climax' though is unremitting banality and, what makes it even worse, entirely unnecessary. They could have just done the world's trees a favor of not wasting the paper required to inject such tripe into an otherwise acceptable script, and one with legitimate Christian sentiment at that - much less the time of the good people who had to film it and the audience members who have to sit through it.
Oct 17th 2013 new
Sounds like there are a lot of mixed feelings on the movie ... I love the movie and the Love Dare by the Kendrick brothers. Yes, the actors may not be Hollywood (minus Kirk Cameron), but if one watches all the movies by the Kendrick Brothers and their church, one will see a difference in each one. Fireproof's message of making God a priority in a marriage, a relationship, and in one's own life is refreshing in comparison to other movies.

My favorite by the Kendrick Brothers is Facing the Giants.
Oct 18th 2013 new
These movies are great!
Oct 18th 2013 new
I watched it believe it and hope for it. Fidelity and authenticity is hard to find. angelL
Posts 21 - 30 of 31