Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 18 new
(quote) Meredith-364940 said: I've been called a brainiac before...as well as a "human encyclopedia." I was identified as gifted when I was just a child and was always placed in advanced classes. (Except for math. Math is my weakness.)

That being said, I try to keep an open mind about the brainiac status of my potential matches. I would love to have someone who matches or even surpasses me in intelligence, but I remain open to anyone with reasonable intelligence who is a practicing Catholic. :) I do seem to gravitate to the men who demonstrate intellectual "thirst" and prowess. Conversation is often easier with these men, especially if we happen to share intellectual pursuits. But again, I won't rule out someone who isn't an intellectual.

I remember reading, don't ask me where, that studies show that in the most successful marriages, the wife is the more intelligent of the two.

It worked in my case. She died just 25 days short of our 51st anniversary and she had a higher IQ than I did. I was classed IQ wise as only an average above average.

My late brother's IQ was in the high 130's and he married someone who at best had a low average IQ. Other than her chest size, I could never figure out what my brother saw in her. Their marriage lasted.
Oct 18 new
Absolutely Kristen. One can have both a head and a heart.
Oct 18 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: okay..............be honest now...............I'm usually bright but can be a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

How do folks feel about the book learning of their dates?
I likes me some wimmin with book lernin'! eyebrow
Oct 18 new
I have the best class this semester. They gather early and the entire group talks with each other and with me about all sorts of topics, so the other day I brought this up. When I mentioned that some people think women should downplay their smarts, there was a resounding rejection of that idea from guys in the class. Some being guys who rarely speak up. So at least in some of the up and coming young men, they seem to appreciate a girl with some smarts. I thought that was pretty remarkable and they were adamant that a girl should never do that that they hated that.
Oct 19 new
I hope everyone is familiar with theories of multiple intelligences such as:

*Howard Gardner (Spatial, Kinesthetic-Body, Musical, Intrapersonal, Interpersonal, Logical-Mathematical, Naturalist, Linguistic),
*Daniel Goldman (E.Q. vs. I.Q.) Heart Smart theheart vs. Head Smart scratchchin
*John Holland's Typology (Artistic, Investigative, Social, Enterprising, Conventional, Realistic)

While their validity is scrutinized in some academic circles as pop psychology, they do seem to reinforce St. Paul's intuition that there are many members in one body. 1 Cor. 12:12

I have spent the past 6 years in an engaging relationship with a Catholic lady who is from a third world country with multiple learning disabilities. For us, it has been like a Matthew 11:25 "Papa JPII/B16 - Mother Teresa/Angelica" relationship.
Oct 19 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: okay..............be honest now...............I'm usually bright but can be a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

How do folks feel about the book learning of their dates?
Sometimes simple common sense trumps the highest degree!
Oct 19 new
(quote) Julie-42315 said: Sometimes simple common sense trumps the highest degree!
I agree, but can't I ask for some of both?

I'd love to talk about literature, history and whatever else comes to mind with my man, but I'd also like him to have enough sense to come in out of the rain. Gotta tell ya, that seems to be harder and harder to find.
Oct 19 new
True common sense/ horse sense etc is harder and harder to find. I work with 40 some people. Most have advanced degrees
in chemistry or biology. Several PhDs or PhD candidates among them. Only a handful have sense enough to come out of the rain.

A mix of both with a dose of caring would make a pretty good spouse in my opinion.
Oct 19 new
One understands that a favorite American egalitarian past time is flogging the poor absent minded professors. It seems to give some an uneasy sense of satisfaction. Even the simple folks in my rural neck of the woods who preach common sense (Sorry....all the time!) do not even rely on it:

On their way to ask their doctor for his/her 'common sense'...
On their way to Catholic Bible study... Which of CM's 7 criteria is 'common sense' today?

One also notices mountain lions, dehydration, and snakes (both real and time share sellers) are not particularly impressed with common sense. laughing

Oct 19 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: I have the best class this semester. They gather early and the entire group talks with each other and with me about all sorts of topics, so the other day I brought this up. When I mentioned that some people think women should downplay their smarts, there was a resounding rejection of that idea from guys in the class. Some being guys who rarely speak up. So at least in some of the up and coming young men, they seem to appreciate a girl with some smarts. I thought that was pretty remarkable and they were adamant that a girl should never do that that they hated that.
Sounds like a fun class!
Posts 31 - 40 of 43