Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Oct 17th 2013 new
Even though I make a living as a network consultant, technology doesn't really impress me either. My phone stopped receiving e-mails last week. Most people would go berserk. I don't really care, though it does become a small problem at times for work reasons. I often joke that when I retire, I'm going to become an Amish farmer. For me, it's a way to earn a living, not a religion.
Oct 17th 2013 new
I love the Internet (and not just because of all you guys laughing ) . I love being able to research whatever I need quickly and to send messages the instant I think of them instead of waiting for time to send a letter...or for a reasonable hour at which to contact someone in another time zone.

Beyond that but along the same lines, I like texting: brief, informational, and read at my convenience.

Anything else...pffff.
Oct 17th 2013 new
I hate texting [misunderstandings even worse than email]
but my son is deaf and many of his workers are also...........
[makes working possible between us]

Cannot imagine how deaf people managed before availability
of texting!!
Oct 17th 2013 new
I am not interested in technology for the sake of technology, but show me something that it can do for me and I love it. In addition to being my "phone" my smartphone is my quick internet access for email, drug references, disease references, phone numbers, addressess, quick texts to co-workers, family and friends, my calendar, timer, alarm clock, and even my flashlight! Skype is great and online shopping is better than being in the store. I am not into the latest or the greatest. I do not have a reader or tablet, but probably will get one soon. My laptop is four years old; got me through grad school, needs to be re-formatted, and should be good for awhile. However,,,,, I prefer a real book, playing real cards/ games with real friends, listening to live msic (vocal and instrumental), conversation with real people.
Oct 17th 2013 new
(quote) Ann-69118 said: I don't have cable, an ipod, ipad, I have an ereader I got for Christmas one year but never use it, I don't have a gps or any of the latest gadgets. It's not that I don't like technology it's just that I don't care.
I'm not interested either. I sold my computer, tv, and got rid of comcast. I don't care either. My iPhone is all I have and it doesn't have active service except when I'm in range of the internet. Phone calls are generated from my old Razr of 03. I don't text either.
Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Ann-69118 said: I don't have cable, an ipod, ipad, I have an ereader I got for Christmas one year but never use it, I don't have a gps or any of the latest gadgets. It's not that I don't like technology it's just that I don't care.
You will appreciate this commercial.... Using an iPad for a cutting board in the kitchen.

www.youtube.com

Ed
Oct 18th 2013 new
I actually have doubts about the morality of e-readers. That sounds extreme, doesn't it? But all these things take batteries, which means greater electricity consumption (burning coal to achieve that?) and who-knows-what going into the landfills.
"Real" books are at least produced using a renewable resource.

scratchchin
Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: I actually have doubts about the morality of e-readers. That sounds extreme, doesn't it? But all these things take batteries, which means greater electricity consumption (burning coal to achieve that?) and who-knows-what going into the landfills.

I totally grok that!

... and yet ... with lithium ion batteries improving, and wind-powered electrical generation...
Oh, I SO want to live somewhere that I could use wind-turbines!

I also LOVE real books, but I've also become increasingly attracted to ebooks, just once in a while for the space-saving... being a biker and all ...

smile
Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: I actually have doubts about the morality of e-readers. That sounds extreme, doesn't it? But all these things take batteries, which means greater electricity consumption (burning coal to achieve that?) and who-knows-what going into the landfills.

I appreaciate where you are coming from. If I got an ereader I would get one that could work from line voltage because of the concern about batteries and landfills.
Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Jim-13836 said: I appreaciate where you are coming from. If I got an ereader I would get one that could work from line voltage because of the concern about batteries and landfills.
Those would consume more line voltage than they now do just recharging the batteries.

All batteries are recyclable, so there is no need for them to be in landfills. Radio Shack will take all your used household batteries for recycling, as will many other electronic retailers.

Oh, if you have a computer, which you must have of some type if you are here on CM, you can download, for free, e-readers from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.. They have hem for just about any digital device: desk tops, lap tops, phones, pads, tablets, etc.

So if your device is already hooked up to line voltage, you have what you say you want.
Posts 11 - 20 of 47