Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Oct 18th 2013 new
theheart theheart theheart Hi Ann,
I laughed when I saw this. I do have a cell phone and cable though. I am soooo not interested in the latest Apps, gizmos, smartphones, iphones, tablets, ect. All my friends are all over it. I am definitely the oddball!
Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: I actually have doubts about the morality of e-readers. That sounds extreme, doesn't it? But all these things take batteries, which means greater electricity consumption (burning coal to achieve that?) and who-knows-what going into the landfills.
"Real" books are at least produced using a renewable resource.

They are Marge but it also takes a lot of consumed energy to produce those 'real' books with machinery. E-books used on e-readers use much less consumption. There is no paper, so no trees are cut down. One original copy of the story can serve quite a few people via download taking a couple of minutes. Also, books clutter where as e-books don't. I do like real books and have many of them, but I have reduced my purchasing of them to only books I like to collect.

I am pro-technology. I don't keep up with the 'latest' trends but do have an up to date computer, Directv w/dvr, ipad, iphone and a 1st generation Nook. I use my iPad and iPhone daily. Much of my use of these items is doing a lot of reading books through either use of an e-reader app or a text-to-speech app.
Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Jim-13836 said: I appreaciate where you are coming from. If I got an ereader I would get one that could work from line voltage because of the concern about batteries and landfills.
I don't think they make that type of e-reader or tablet. As stated above, all readers and tablets run on rechargeable lithium batteries. The wattage on these items is no more than 5 to 10 watts with total charge time of 2-3 hours and run time that can last up to 2+ weeks depending on usage This is far less than any other appliance in your home.
Oct 19th 2013 new
How do you like the text-to-speech?
Oct 19th 2013 new
I much enjoy vintage industrial technology. Consider this ; prior to the development of the steam engine , sources of power were very scarce and very limited , limited to wind , water, animal and "man power" , so this lack of power much impeded progress. until the steam engine.

With the steam engine , power was available at any location that could be supplied by coal , and the result was the Industrial Revolution.

I became the historical "expert" of the 1907 electrification of the New Haven RR , a combination of early and vintage combustion , mechanical , and electrical technology.
Oct 19th 2013 new
(quote) Ann-69118 said: I don't have cable, an ipod, ipad, I have an ereader I got for Christmas one year but never use it, I don't have a gps or any of the latest gadgets. It's not that I don't like technology it's just that I don't care.
I have a fairly tech savvy background and work in a pretty tech driven business. But, I am not gadget happy. I love my laptop and having internet access. I appreciate having good audio equipment at home and at work. But, hand tools and sawdust sometimes give me as much satisfaction. Much as I like it, I might give up all the tech to live in a time or place a bit less screwed up than ours.
Oct 20th 2013 new
I also work in a tech heavy business, but when I get a chance to I go to my parents house and listen to the old time radio shows Sunday night on Wamu. They play Johnny dollar, Dragnet, Gun smoke, and the lone ranger, And to top it off I listen to it on a 1940s Hallicrafters S-27 receiver I restored. Things just sound better coming through vacuum tubes.
Oct 20th 2013 new
I have a 3g phone still and I only use for making calls, and taking the occasional photo with it. I am not one to go out and but the latest phone, am content with what I have already. I think we have come as far as we are going to get with technology, it been time bask in the old ways of communications. This in my thought on this matter. With anything new there is bound to be problems associated with it.
Oct 20th 2013 new
A desktop computer is more than enough technology than I care to use. I'm not a 'gadget' person at all. Like you, I'm not against technology.. I just don't care much about it. There are many more important things in life to be active with (and not be falling in fountains over) ;).
Oct 20th 2013 new
(quote) Joseph-841276 said: I also work in a tech heavy business, but when I get a chance to I go to my parents house and listen to the old time radio shows Sunday night on Wamu. They play Johnny dollar, Dragnet, Gun smoke, and the lone ranger, And to top it off I listen to it on a 1940s Hallicrafters S-27 receiver I restored. Things just sound better coming through vacuum tubes.
You can listen to many Old Time Radio shows on your computer. There are several web sites that have them free or the listening. some eve llow you to download them for free.

http://www.Radio Spirits.com

Is one where they have two different programs every day of the week. Usually a total of about 45 minutes. It is the company that supplies these programs to radio stations across the country that carry old shows somewhere on their schedules. Thy also sell recordings of them in various formats.

There is one site that has every "Johnny Dollar" episode (that still exist) that you can download for free. There was another one devoted to Jack Benny that had virtually everyone of his programs that you could download free.

Put the name of your favorite character along with a modifier like radio programs and you can find a site devoted to to that program that you can listen to and possibly download.
Posts 21 - 30 of 47