Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Oct 23 new
(quote) John-971967 said: Folks, the future source of energy is NUCLEAR; not alternatives like solar or wind, nor the expendable sources of coal or oil, etc. Some of the alternative stuff will be around, but solar will never be more that 5% and wind will never be more than 15%. Hydro, Oil and Coal will yield to Nuclear. I am going to get hell from all of you out there that just don't know what you are talking about, but have at it; but on judgment day you will see that I am right

BTW, Paul, your comments are accurate!>br>
All the electronic gizmos are just going to keep getting more info powerful and smaller and smaller, and as they do more will be integrated into a single device that does it all, so to speak. Ignoring the usefulness of technology leaves persons behind others.

Technology needs to be put to use for God's sake, not be ignored. Now, technology that tracks and records our every move means two things: we either live the life we say and should live, or it will be the means to our demise, and we quit supporting enterprises that spread immorality and intrusion into private life.
On the other hand, I have read of new battery technology under development that is producing batteries as thin and flexible as a sheet of paper. Supposedly, they will power, for example, a lap top computer for as long as a month on a single charge, be rechargeable to full capacity in a very short time, less than 1/2 hour.

The report also stated that the technology could easily be expanded and tied in with solar panels for recharging so that homes of the future would be fully powered and would be off the electrical power company grid.

Now that would be a real boon.
Oct 23 new
Based on current power technologies I would have to agree about nuclear power. However, general consumption of power as it goes down per household due to such things as LED lights, and other electrical innovations, that may change. There are some pretty cool things in the horizon that may change all of that. We shall see.
Oct 23 new
And I am a techno geek in some areas and Neanderthal in others.
Oct 23 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: Based on current power technologies I would have to agree about nuclear power. However, general consumption of power as it goes down per household due to such things as LED lights, and other electrical innovations, that may change. There are some pretty cool things in the horizon that may change all of that. We shall see.
Yes, Tim, there are A LOT of really cool things being developed; much of it is not from the USA any more, and yes on the home fronts, our energy consumption will go down, but the rest of civilization is coming up to our par. The world's consumption of energy will continue to increase and nuclear energy is the only source that can meet the projected needs. When attended to nuclear energy is much more clean than any other source. I have seen some interesting projections for the next 50 years and how that is supposed to transition. In about a decade we are expected to start investing big time into domestic sources of oil, but that will last for only about 25 years while we practically eliminate our dependence on Middle Eastern oil sources. Syndicated industrial complexes will demand much power for industrial and governmental use to manufacture products for world consumption.

Another interesting mega-trend is going to be in the area genetics. Man is just beginning to play as if God.
Oct 23 new
I think I'm pretty low key when it comes to technology. I do have a Kindle because I love that I can upload a book in seconds and there are so many classics that are public domain. I do prefer books but it's nice to have so many in such a small item. I don't own iAnything although I'm thinking about getting an iPod because I'm on my 3rd or 4th mp3 player in the past few years--these things don't last! I begrudgingly got cable because when I moved, I had to upgrade to FIOS and the bundle seemed to be the better option than internet only. Don't really watch it that much but I do love streaming on my Roku. I have a netbook and a smartphone. That's about it!
Oct 24 new
(quote) Ann-69118 said: I don't have cable, an ipod, ipad, I have an ereader I got for Christmas one year but never use it, I don't have a gps or any of the latest gadgets. It's not that I don't like technology it's just that I don't care.

I resisted getting a cellphone up until the first gen iPhones came out. Now I find that it's indispensable to have some kind of mobile internet device handy at all time. In cars, a reversing camera quickly becomes indispensable once you start using and relying on one.
Oct 24 new
I became the owner of a mobile phone the first time just last year,in order to reduce calls to my teenagers....then to read the forums here before joining .My son gave me his old School laptop in March ...I can now type with two fingers! laughing scratchchin
Posts 41 - 47 of 47