Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Nov 2nd 2013 new
(quote) Lenn-1017174 said:
I could say a mass as well as any priest, now they are changing all the words.
Priests are not permitted to do that but it is another byproduct of liberalism gone crazy. The Mass is not supposed to be about personal expression and the focus being on the priest.

Perhaps you should celebrate Mass next Sunday? There was an English Parish Priest here several years ago who was by all reports a fantastic preacher. The only problem was that he was never ordained and in fact never studied in a seminary boggled. He left town pretty quickly but perhaps not spending time in a seminary where you are potentially exposed to poor formation could be the template for the future biggrin ?

Nov 2nd 2013 new
(quote) Lenn-1017174 said: The lay people were doing headcounts on who donated in the plate. I felt like the Pharisees had moved in...What the...do you think you're doing?
Lenn,

Just responding to your comment... "The lay people were doing headcounts on who donated in the plate."

Obviously, I was not at that Mass that you attended, but it could very well be that they were doing a headcount for an entirely different reason. I live within the Diocese of Sacramento (California). I can recall at least two different years when the bishop directed every parish at every Mass on a particular Sunday to do a complete headcount of those attending Mass in the Diocese. The entire reason was because they were running one of the "Catholics Come Home" advertising campaigns throughout the Diocese in all sorts of media (secular & religious radio, TV and print, mostly). In order to properly evaluate the effectiveness of such a campaign, they did a Diocese-wide headcount both before and after the campaign (several months apart, I believe).

Perhaps I am wrong in my assessment, but the headcount may be unrelated to contributions to the collection plate.

God bless,

Ed
Nov 2nd 2013 new
(quote) Sean-851370 said: So, in other words, blind obedience?
Obedience. Not blind obedience.
Nov 2nd 2013 new
(quote) Loretta-678584 said: Here in Omaha, both mass forms are available. I am proud of that. I have been to both. I appreciate both. I guess I like being able to follow the mass a little better in English though. It is a small preference that keeps me feeling connected. I guess, I feel both have their place for me.
You've also got the FSSP seminary right down the road at Our Lady of Guadelupe in Denton.
Nov 2nd 2013 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: Lenn,

Just responding to your comment... "The lay people were doing headcounts on who donated in the plate."

Obviously, I was not at that Mass that you attended, but it could very well be that they were doing a headcount for an entirely different reason. I live within the Diocese of Sacramento (California). I can recall at least two different years when the bishop directed every parish at every Mass on a particular Sunday to do a complete headcount of those attending Mass in the Diocese. The entire reason was because they were running one of the "Catholics Come Home" advertising campaigns throughout the Diocese in all sorts of media (secular & religious radio, TV and print, mostly). In order to properly evaluate the effectiveness of such a campaign, they did a Diocese-wide headcount both before and after the campaign (several months apart, I believe).

Perhaps I am wrong in my assessment, but the headcount may be unrelated to contributions to the collection plate.

God bless,

Ed
When I was an usher, we always counted attendance. That was many years ago.
Nov 2nd 2013 new
I attend a parish that was a "dying" parish as the church said. The parishioners wanted it to stay open and so Cardinal George of Chicago sent us priests from an order in Chicago to come in and help as our pastor took partial retirement. Since then the members of our parish have tripled in numbers! We are bursting at the seams! We have a small farm church, and beautiful! These priests have been bringing back the Sacred and the TLM is offered everyday and it is overwhelmingly popular! We have more and more alter boys and grown men lining up to serve. Our confession lines everyday are all the way down the aisle and into the vestibule. We are bursting with activities and life once again. And so many young people are coming to our church from all over to attend the TLM. And priests from a seminary in Mundelein come to learn the mass. Our priests were sent to EWTN to train the priests there and they also came to our parish for 3 weeks to train to do the mass! I have been here for 15 years and it is so wonderful, I am truly blessed to be a part of it. Thank you Gabor for starting this thread. rose theheart hug heart
Nov 2nd 2013 new

I will share a couple of things that I have reflected on during the current season in respect of the TLM. The TLM Requiem Mass (used on All Souls Day) has many inspiring prayers seeking God's mercy and forgiveness. Having just arrived home from visiting my father's grave I felt some nostalgic regret that I arranged for him to buried in a modern service that "celebrated his life". There is nothing to celebrate until he reaches Heaven and if I had my time again I would have loved those traditional prayers being prayed for his soul on his death theheart (RIP "Big Charlie")

On All Saints Day and Sunday morning I was at TLM's where 3 priests were present. The celebrating priest is Christ on the Altar and the other priests serve him in the TLM. That submission to Christ is something that I believe is a beautiful gesture of the TLM. Receiving Holy Communion from a priest with another priest serving him by holding the Communion paten is a great act of submission and reverence.

Nov 2nd 2013 new
Yes we do... biggrin I feel blessed
Nov 3rd 2013 new
After reading the posts on this subject of TLM .. I do think I may have to find and attend one. Never been... This could be a case of God leading the blind by way they have not known, along unfamiliar paths He will guide them... :-)
Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Sherry-1006330 said: After reading the posts on this subject of TLM .. I do think I may have to find and attend one. Never been... This could be a case of God leading the blind by way they have not known, along unfamiliar paths He will guide them... :-)
There is one in down town Portland every sunday, I know a member of the choir. great mass.
Posts 61 - 70 of 70