Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Oct 27th 2013 new
(quote) Johnny-975202 said: I'm not sure that ANYONE answering "No" to this questions would mean anything else but that. Maybe I'm wrong?
Yes, you are wrong. It is not uncommon for members to answer "No" to the pre-marital sex faith question because they believe that answering "Yes" would be misleading others about their past behavior, even though they presently accept and intend to follow the Church's teaching in this regard.

Oct 27th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: I can't speak for Joan, but I took her comment about chastity not being valued in the US to be a general statement, not an absolute one (that nobody in the US values chastity).

Would you argue with the assertion that the majority of teenagers and adults in this country do not value chastity? The vast majority?

Sadly enough I can't argue: I do however suspect that there are those who oppose premarital sex but are suppresed to speak out against it.
Oct 27th 2013 new
(quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: Sadly enough I can't argue: I do however suspect that there are those who oppose premarital sex but are suppresed to speak out against it.
While many in this country need to clean their social life up, the U.S. is not alone. A friend and member from tha local parish has said that she noticed a lot of the same atitude back home in Germany, and given the decline in the adoption rate due to abortions performed in Austrailia, moral values take a back seat in many places around the globe, The good thing may be that 72% Americans say moral values in America are getting worse, compared with 20 percent who say they are getting better and 6 percent who said they are the same,

Read more: www.washingtontimes.com

Knowing is half the battle.
Oct 27th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Yes, you are wrong. It is not uncommon for members to answer "No" to the pre-marital sex faith question because they believe that answering "Yes" would be misleading others about their past behavior, even though they presently accept and intend to follow the Church's teaching in this regard.

We all have a past and I understand it. It just seems to me that if one NOW accepts the teaching, it would be a "yes", regardless of the past. Just my opinion.
Oct 27th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: I wonder....
For past generations, marriage was all about property and/or concupiscence.
It still goes on.
Oct 28th 2013 new
(quote) Johnny-975202 said:  It just seems to me that if one NOW accepts the teaching, it would be a "yes", regardless of the past.
Johnny,,
i think you said the Key words right there.. "seems to me".. and you're one hundred percent correct. While we know what the Question is asking...our interpretations can be as different as we are. And, unfortunately there isn't a drop down box below each Questions that allows users add an explanation for their answers.

I know you may not doing this, but as Jerry so clearly pointed out, rather than using the 7/7 as a litmus test for whether someone is a match,, It would be Great if more of us use it as an Opportunity to "ask" for clarification when and if there seems to be a mutual attraction on other levels. biggrin Praying
Oct 28th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-146273 said:

I know you may not doing this, but as Jerry so clearly pointed out, rather than using the 7/7 as a litmus test for whether someone is a match,, It would be Great if more of us use it as an Opportunity to "ask" for clarification when and if there seems to be a mutual attraction on other levels.
Dave, you may be onto something there. How hard is it to provide a drop down box that lets one explain one's answer on those survey questions, for example?
Oct 28th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: Just because a marriage lasts a long while, doesn't mean it's happy -- or holy.
A VALID marriage should be respected regardless of the challenges. It's one less problem. Validity calls one or both back to get into compliance when lacking, God's compliance, which calls both back to holiness. Marriage has never been just about the money. Although, money is a means by which we measure stability, individually and in society. Stability is a good thing.
Oct 28th 2013 new
(quote) Johnny-975202 said: We all have a past and I understand it. It just seems to me that if one NOW accepts the teaching, it would be a "yes", regardless of the past. Just my opinion.
That is how the question should be answered. It is presented as such. Past transgressions aside; when we have made amends and have been absolved of past sins, we are with a clean slate. If sufficient time and proper effort is put forth to demonstrate that the past is not a problem in the present or a threat for the future, then one can go forward with confidence.
Oct 28th 2013 new
Pre-marital sex is a grave sin. Unrepented, it is a serious impediment to a sacramental marriage. This impediment is grounds for nullity; is it not? It is a sacrilege to attempt sacramental marriage having engaged in pre-marital sex or with other grave sins not absolved. Both must be in a state of grace when approaching the sacrament of matrimony. Is this no longer part of the instruction/preparation?
Posts 31 - 40 of 68