Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

Apr 11th 2014 new
Hi Lissa,
I know what you're going through. I've been divorced for 4 years. About 2 years ago I started the annulment process. I haven't heard anything from the Tribunal. I called last week and I was informed that they had not received an address for my ex (which I did give to them) and they did not receive any of the forms that were sent to my witnesses. At the time of the process I gave the Tribunal his address along with the witnesses' addresses (I still have the copies). I don't know why they didn't contact me initially when they realized no one replied to their questions. Again, I gave the Tribunal my ex's address and the others. A few days later a friend called to say she received a letter in the mail regarding my annulment. I asked her didn't you get that form about a year ago and she said NO I never received anything like this. So oooppps, they never sent out any letters to anyone...I suspect. I didn't say anything to the Tribunal because they are not charging me for this (hopefully) annulment....hmmmmm......maybe that's way they have been dragging their feet on this....No, they wouldn't do that, would they...lol eyepopping
Apr 11th 2014 new
Like is said when dealing with an attorney on a case, stay apprised of the situation. Files can end up at the bottom of a pile. It can happen with any business or Church department. I believe in regularly checking in and our Tribunal here encourages it.
Apr 18th 2014 new
Well Praise God!!! Yesterday, I had waiting for me in the mail the official ANNULMENT DECREE!!! It was issued mid-March, and was upheld by the Court of Appeals (a neighboring diocese - a formality) earlier this month.

I shed about three tears, then laughed with joy! I am free!
Apr 18th 2014 new
(quote) Lissa-956941 said: Well Praise God!!! Yesterday, I had waiting for me in the mail the official ANNULMENT DECREE!!! It was issued mid-March, and was upheld by the Court of Appeals (a neighboring diocese - a formality) earlier this month.

I shed about three tears, then laughed with joy! I am free!
Congratulations, Lissa!!

Have a Blessed Easter!!
Apr 18th 2014 new
Congratulations!
Apr 29th 2014 new
Lissa

Unfortunately the annulment process is an example where the church is utterly failing. The process is excessive with paperwork and reviews that drag on for months and years. The process could be easily streamlined and made much more accessible to divorced Catholics that have been victims of former spouses that were unfaithful or never committed to the marriage. It is this reason that I believe keeps many divorced Catholics from attempting annulment and honoring the sacrament of matrimony in the Church when they remarry.

Its the 21st century and the Church needs to reevaluate its process and red tape. I appreciate its diligence and commitment to careful examination but many of these annulments are fairly black and white and could be handled in a fraction of the time. Divorce is painful enought, don't make the annulment harder than it needs to be.

Apr 29th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-910649 said: Lissa

Unfortunately the annulment process is an example where the church is utterly failing. The process is excessive with paperwork and reviews that drag on for months and years. The process could be easily streamlined and made much more accessible to divorced Catholics that have been victims of former spouses that were unfaithful or never committed to the marriage. It is this reason that I believe keeps many divorced Catholics from attempting annulment and honoring the sacrament of matrimony in the Church when they remarry.

Its the 21st century and the Church needs to reevaluate its process and red tape. I appreciate its diligence and commitment to careful examination but many of these annulments are fairly black and white and could be handled in a fraction of the time. Divorce is painful enought, don't make the annulment harder than it needs to be.

Paul,

While I do agree with you that the process could be better, it is the process that we have, and unless we go through the pain and get our annulment through the tribunal process, then we are still married in the eyes of the church, and to initiate a second marriage while still married to the first spouse causes grave consequences for salvation.

It took me three years to get my annulment, yet now I have been separated 21 years and divorced over 18 years. Even if the process had taken 5 times as long, it still would not have impacted my life. I would hope that it would not take 5 times longer, but even if it did, and I received an annulment in this lifetime, then my former spouse and I are freed for the implications of divorce in the eyes of the church, and if for no other reason, even if I never get remarried, it is worth it for that.
May 22nd 2014 new
Annulment are processed at different speeds, as I figured out. People getting married had priority, at least in the diocese I received my annulment.

Several annulments were processed before mine as I was not getting married, and the priest helping me even told me this was what was going on.

So, I very mad, of course. A letter was written to expedite my annulment as it was apparent my annulment was not receiving action. Within one week of the letter being sent, annulment was granted.

It's important to followup and have write to see what the snag is or if more paperwork is needed.

May 23rd 2014 new
Mine took over a year - to complete and I had 2. i started when I started RCIA classes but it wasn't completed after i joined the church. i was never told I couldn't date during the process. I wasn't free to marry at the time, but i was free to date. I also knew some people though that their annulments were not granted they had to wait and re-file. It did take some time as well.
May 31st 2014 new
Thank you what you said is so true. And the grace is what has been getting me through. Divorce is very hard and it effects the children more then we know my daughter is in her 20 and still has issues. Pray and love is what is getting us through.
Posts 41 - 50 of 50