Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

"It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship..." - C.S. Lewis

Pope Francis, several times now, has suggested our Church develop a deeper Theology of Woman. Without a doubt, the ladies on CM would be expert authors and consultants on such a venture. I pray that this Theology acknowledges Mary as Co-Redemptrix theheart and recognizes the insights of the female mystics and doctors of the Church, including St. Faustina, St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, and Blessed Mother Teresa. One must certainly not forget St. Therese, the Little Flower! rose Women are stronger in their ability to suffer (if for no other reason than men require from you so much more practice!) laughing embarassed You may have once been told that the angels only 'envy' humans for two reasons: our ability to suffer and the Eucharist. faint

It should go without saying that women are the more refined, beautiful and loving gender. heart theheart lovestruck! Blinded by love After all, the order of creation is one of ascension, from chaos to cosmos, from beasts to beauty. Women are God's grand finale, the crown of creation. Beauty will save the world, so said Dostoyevsky. Love alone is credible, as Hans urs Von Balthasar reminds us.

We began this reflection by quoting C.S. Lewis. He ends his quote with an ominous note, "...or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare." Feminine beauty, loving kindness, and fruitfulness are powerfully alluring mysteries. God may hide from women, for good reason, their true Eternal splendor. shhh I live in a New Age town replete with Mother Earth (Avatar "Eywa", Gaia, Mago, etc.) worshippers, radical feminists, belly dancers and same sex couples. They seemingly have turned their imaginations inward toward navel gazing and grasping vainly at their elusively elevated gender; thereby closing themselves off from receiving the fulfillment of their heart's deepest desires. (The unmerited gifts of grace and glory, life and love, of God). One version of Mary's Magnificat reads, "He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts."

This may be my Romanticist bias, but I still believe that women have an angelic fire of desire in their hearts most men simply do not. I can only speak for myself. :sorry: Is the word 'match' in Catholic Match mean 'complementarity' or that missing rib with which women alone can ignite a blazing fire? :scratchchin: On the day of victory, Mary showed her Seraphic speed off by beating the boy John and man Peter to our Lord's tomb. Women seem better able to see Jesus in the poorest of the poor, bestowing God's love on the lowly with compassion; the pitying womb-like mercy the Old Testament calls 'Rachamim'. Pope Francis has suggested several times how this profound maternal love sheds light into the very nature of God's love Why else would we have phrases such as "someone only a mother could love" and "the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world"? Of course, no one holds a candle to Our Lady's Immaculate maternal love. Pope Francis has said that Mary is more important than all of the Apostles combined, echoing von Balthasar's insight that the "Marian dimension precedes the Petrine" (CCC 773). The order of holy love precedes the love of holy order.

Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom...Pray for us! :rosary:

Oct 25th 2013 new
I like it. smile Thumbs up!

Two thoughts came to me as I read this. First, I am glad for a call for a "Theology of Woman," but I am thinking that it is equally necessary to speak of a "Theology of Man" (in the particular sense). I think the problem is not just that women are not recognized in the Church but that complementarity has been thrown out the door in the name of Marxist equality and sameness.

My second thought is that if I lived in a "New Age town," I'd probably move somewhere else! I don't care how beautiful it is. I value the ability to live the truth in peace in a pretty area over living in a dramatically beautiful area with lots of bizzaro stuff around me and feeling like the "one who's not like the others". You must be a hardy character to stick around!
Oct 25th 2013 new
"Pope Francis has said that Mary is more important than all of the Apostles combined"

Hello there David,
I am wondering why a comparison needs to be drawn between Mary and athe apostles since they had differing roles. The Gospel needed to be brought to the world and they were the chosen means. How is that less significant to Her role?

Thanks!
Sara

Oct 25th 2013 new

Hi Sara!

I likely would need help from others to advance an adequate response to your question. The context was his interview on the plane, specifically regarding the heated issue of the ordination of women.

Pope Francis: I would like to explain a bit what I said on the participation of women in the Church. It cant be limited to being altar servers or presidents of Caritas, catechists No! It must be more, but profoundly more!

Even mystically more, with what Ive said of the theology of woman.

And, with reference to the ordination of women, the Church has spoken and she said: No.

John Paul II said it, but with a definitive formulation. That is closed, that door is closed.

But Id like to say something about this. Ive said it, but I repeat it. Our Lady, Mary, was more important than the Apostles, than bishops, deacons and priests.

In the Church, woman is more important than bishops and priests; how, its what we must seek to make more explicit, because theological explicitness about this is lacking. Thank you.

One hardly can estimate how many souls have been brought to Jesus through Mary's evangelization over the centuries! Pope Francis, being from Argentina, has grown up in a culture influenced heavily by Marian apparitions and devotion. I've heard heard estimates as high as 9 million men, women, and children in Mexico converted to Catholicism in a short period as the fruit of Our Lady of Guadelupe. I think Pope Francis is saying one need not be an odained member of the clergy to be a fruitful disciple, mother and evangelist. I think he was also saying what Mother Teresa said simply, "No Mary. No Jesus."

Oct 25th 2013 new
(quote) Kristen-878108 said: I like it. Thumbs up!

Two thoughts came to me as I read this. First, I am glad for a call for a "Theology of Woman," but I am thinking that it is equally necessary to speak of a "Theology of Man" (in the particular sense). I think the problem is not just that women are not recognized in the Church but that complementarity has been thrown out the door in the name of Marxist equality and sameness.

My second thought is that if I lived in a "New Age town," I'd probably move somewhere else! I don't care how beautiful it is. I value the ability to live the truth in peace in a pretty area over living in a dramatically beautiful area with lots of bizzaro stuff around me and feeling like the "one who's not like the others". You must be a hardy character to stick around!
Thank you, Kristen!

A phenomenal -- and I mean, world class phenomenal author I wish everyone could read -- Mariologist professor at FUS, Dr. Miravalle, made an interesting comment during class on how we have a fairly well developed Theology on Mary (Mariology), Jesus (Christology), and the Holy Spirit (Pneumentology), but a relatively undeveloped one on God the Father (Patrology). The implications are self-evident. Fatherhood. -- spiritual, moral, material and biological -- is under siege like never before.

New Age town? Now, you know why I am on CM. My family moved here in the 70s before the psychics discovered 'vortexes' (conveniently located next to parking lots) scratchchin and all the UFOs starting touching down and waking us up in the middle of the night! eyepopping The world famous Catholic Chapel of the Holy Cross and the Benedictines were here in the 50s. If the beauty of creation doesn't remind one daily, a huge new Catholic Church (2,000+) was just built 15 miles down the road. The feeling out here is missionary newness, growth, and excitement. Spirituality is a daily conversation. I feel sorry for folks elsewhere, stuck in hum drum parishes.
Oct 25th 2013 new
(quote) David-174079 said:

I think Pope Francis is saying one need not be an odained member of the clergy to be a fruitful disciple, mother and evangelist. I think he was also saying what Mother Teresa said simply, "No Mary. No Jesus."

That was my initial thought, too, that Mary would have been more important, because she is the mother of Christ. I don't recall any of the Apostles having the unbound Faith of Mary. As Sara said, they do play different roles. Quite frankly, maybe I'm wrong, but I see people take the Bible too literally on here. I'm not sure if there was a purpose in everything that happened, or (in my opinion) some things happened because that was the custom of the time, and it had to be realistic to create a following of people of that time and place.

I think that Pope Francis probably sees women as doing almost any role in the Church except be priests. They can certainly hold administrative, pastoral, or service roles. Those who have not lost their humility will succeed in the Church's hierarchy! theheart

Oct 25th 2013 new
(quote) David-174079 said: I pray that this Theology acknowledges Mary as Co-Redemptrix and recognizes the insights of the female mystics and doctors of the Church, including St. Faustina, St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, and Blessed Mother Teresa. One must certainly not forget St. Therese, the Little Flower!
And Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity.
Oct 26th 2013 new
I find the whole idea very condescending.
All the Woman needs is, to stop shooting herself in the foot.
Oct 26th 2013 new
(quote) David-174079 said: "It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, 

Yes, indeed, Mr. Lewis, to see in each "other" the glory of Christ unblocked,when our eyes are unveiled will indeed be the most wonderful sight! Wow! Easter morning radiant glory on that day.

We cannot be anything but totally gorgeous souls when He loves us, indwells us, abides with us, and takes us to Himself....

Now we may merely reflect the fire of the Spirit He gave us as his promise farewell gift!. THEN, we will be in His glory...for sure will be the"gods and goddesses" as C. S. Lewis posits!

Lovely topic, thanks!
Barbara

Oct 26th 2013 new
(quote) David-174079 said: Theology of Woman. ........Pope Francis has said that Mary is more important than all of the Apostles combined, echoing von Balthasar's insight that the "Marian dimension precedes the Petrine" (CCC 773). The order of holy love precedes the love of holy order.
Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom...Pray for us!
David, I enjoy reading the ideas that you put forth and the comments that follow. When I think of women in general, and woman in particular the words "receptive creativity" come to mind. Some time ago I attended a women's retreat put on by the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, in Ann Arbor. One of the most profound ideas was expressed by Sister Joseph Andrew Bogdanowicz. I can't "quote" her but essentially she said that the "mystery" of woman is her abilty to "be receptive" and "to receive" what she is given and with Gods grace and blessing create (or allow to be created) something that is a reflection of His Love. It's in total cooperation with the Holy Spirit. Who better to model this than the Blessed Mother, the spiritual spouse of the Holy Spirit. This "creative receptivity" can be physical (resulting in an actual conception), spiritual (think of the spiritual maternity of religious women in their relationship with Christ), economic and even political (when a woman is engaged in the workforce or political arena in an ethical, moral and honest way.) Women scholars, mystics, teachers, and Church Doctors all exhibit these characteristics, to one degree or another. The current culture that has denigrated and separated us from our physical maternity with contraception, sterilization and abortion is only a mirror of the spiritual, emotional and psychological "chasm" of authentic womanhood. The same can be said for man and men when we separate them from their roles as protectors, providers, and leaders! Thanks for your post. I look forward to reading your comments.
Posts 1 - 10 of 105