Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Nov 2nd 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Chances are, however, that some of the leadership at the local level are also directly involved in supporting and promoting the nonsense.
Paul,

The above statement is a guess, at best. I find it divisive and unhelpful to the discussion. Stick to the facts that you have - you are upset at the NEA for their support of sex offenders. We are as well. Can you not recognize that Karen and I are looking for a little support for the good people in our local unions. Since you don't work with our unions, please take our word since we work closely with these good people.

What are you hoping for? You want local unions to dissolve? If you say, "Yes," then at least I'll understand your argument and can respect it as a difference of opinions. If you say, "No," then I'm not sure why you're debating a point you are not qualified to debate.

Do you agree that perhaps we can make a change in the system by being part of that system? And maybe the system at our local level just might be filled with good people who disagree with the NEA? (And want to work to change things) I would think that you could concede that point, offer a little support for good teachers and good union members, and STILL be in line with the original message of Jerry's post. How about it?

You know, ours is a battered profession. We hear it all the time, and it gets tiring.
Nov 2nd 2013 new
(quote) Karen-1019344 said: Thanks for the kind comments. What about our state teachers union? Are they in cohorts w/ the federals to get sex offenders in the classroom? I don't think you folks understand the scrutiny teachers are under. We have other things to do with our precious free time than to plot how to harm children or how to have our union do it for us. Our union has other things to do with it's time as well... Like advocating for smaller class sizes, tech equity, and the COMMON CORE. ( designed to raise standards and increase rigor.. Not take over the world with a communist agenda.
I hear what you are saying. I am an employee for Chrysler and Our local is involved in most of Kokomo's charity events for that community. They are fighting to improve workplace environment and their goal is to keep the place safe and happy for the union members. If the is something going on some where in the national we do not have time to find it out, and contrary to a lot of peoples theories about Chrysler workers having it easy that is more myth. You know how it is when you have a few bad apples. It makes everybody else look bad.
It is thesame way with the public school system too. You have teachers who are committed to their jobs like they are expected to be and you often have more on you plate than you can handle, why on earth would you want to take over this world that is getting crazier as one day passes to the next?
But the other hand you have people like those who are lobbying to allow sex offenders in the classroom and they may not be in your local but if they can get that Bill killed they are going to make it tougher for people like Wendy, Mike, Joan and yourself as well to compete with sex offenders for jobs teaching children. I know from reading comments from members of CM who are employed in the public system who post in the forums, you are not for this Bill getting killed, but just because you are not lobbying for sicko's to get "a fair chance at getting employed" in the public schools working around children does not mean you will be exempt from the consequences. I don't work in the classroom but I can't but help think of how much more of a challenge that would present for you. That is something I have given some thought to as well as the safety of children, when I called that number Jerry posted.

Peace be with you also, Karen.
Nov 2nd 2013 new
HI Folks,
I agree and disagree with both sides here.
I too am a teacher paying dues to an awesome local union.
I agree that the average classroom teacher and local is most concerned with delivering high quality instruction to students....helping so many students whose parents are busy with addictions or self obsessions or the blows of a struggling economy that sets them up to need multiple jobs just to make ends meet... or dealing with one parent being sent to war....or a parent being diagnosed with cancer right at the beginning of the school year... the list goes on.
I think most teachers are focused on instruction and how to address the hardships that students and their families face. Those hardships interfere with some students' ability to learn.
And most locals are focused on helping the teachers get their needs met in order to help the students.
I cringe though when the automatic mailings from state and national levels come in and are rife with propaganda for Obamacare as well as other extreme left political things. They do have great articles in them that help me teach better and brainstorm ways to help my students learn. But the political craziness is blatant and the poor reasoning is obvious. I am also amazed at how many of my colleagues seem to get most of their political information from these publications.
I teach in NY. NYS law has required background checks not only for teachers but for all school employees for a number of years. I did not know other states did not protect students from abuse in this manner. I am not happy to learn that the NEA is lobbying against a federal law for this but also not surprised.
OH and I think in the long run... when we get through the "hiccoughs".. the common core with be a good thing..It is just really stressful going through the changes that come with its implementation.

Here's an attaboy/attagirl for all those classroom teachers out there.
Just my two cents..
Nov 2nd 2013 new
(quote) Mike-905381 said: Paul,

The above statement is a guess, at best. I find it divisive and unhelpful to the discussion. Stick to the facts that you have - you are upset at the NEA for their support of sex offenders. We are as well. Can you not recognize that Karen and I are looking for a little support for the good people in our local unions. Since you don't work with our unions, please take our word since we work closely with these good people.

What are you hoping for? You want local unions to dissolve? If you say, "Yes," then at least I'll understand your argument and can respect it as a difference of opinions. If you say, "No," then I'm not sure why you're debating a point you are not qualified to debate.

Do you agree that perhaps we can make a change in the system by being part of that system? And maybe the system at our local level just might be filled with good people who disagree with the NEA? (And want to work to change things) I would think that you could concede that point, offer a little support for good teachers and good union members, and STILL be in line with the original message of Jerry's post. How about it?

You know, ours is a battered profession. We hear it all the time, and it gets tiring.
My only point is that to think none of your local leadership or none of the money either in dues or extracted from you and your fellow teachers supports and funds this egregious nonsense is the height of naivete.

I support anyone who is truly trying to make a difference, even if the only thing they are doing is keeping their nose to the grindstone trying yo do the best job possible. If they can, in addition, make even a minor start towards making a change in the system, more power to them.

Although it is true that teaching is a battered profession, it is also true that the profession has brought it on themselves.

Teachers who make the most important difference in anyone's life, those toiling at the elementary level, are the lowest paid and least appreciated.

The unions fight mightily to protect all teachers even those who should be dropped like hot potatoes for their incompetence and lack of ability. Except for the very top administrators in school districts, all other administrators are members of the same union. And in most cases when teacher-student ratios are calculated they are included as teachers, which thereby lowers the ratio when in fact the teachers doing the actual teaching are overwhelmed by the numbers. And the unions are silent about this jimmying of the system.

Th unions fight merit pay. I coiuld go on and on. And any indiividual teacher or group of teachers fighting this has my undying gratitude. But they are strictly a minority. If not in your particular case, that would be one of the very rare exceptions in the whole nation.

So, no I don't know the particulars in your case, but my wife was a teacher for over 30 years. I worked for the State Auditors office doing fiscal and legal compliance audits of educational institutions. so I intimately familiar with all the nonsense from inside the classroom and out.

Nov 2nd 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: Hannah Maluyao | 1382699295 October 25, 2013 | 4:08 a.m. PDT PDT story
Staff Reporter Pedophilia Now Classified As A Sexual OrientationIn the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM V), the American Psychological Association (APA) drew a very distinct line between pedophilia and pedophilic disorder. Pedophilia refers to a sexual orientation or profession of sexual preference devoid of consummation, whereas pedophilic disorder is defined as a compulsion and is used in reference to individuals who act on their sexuality. http://www.neontommy.com/news/2013/10/pedophilia-sexual-orientation
First, it was the American Psychiatric Association, not the American Psychological Association. Two different organizations with names that look similar.

Second, the first organization, the one that issues the manual in question, has admitted that they made an error and will correct it.

thatsnonsense.com
Nov 2nd 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: teaching is a battered profession, the profession has brought it on themselves

I see. So this is where I'll bow out of further interaction with you on the topic. Good day.
Nov 2nd 2013 new
(quote) Edward-4511 said: First, it was the American Psychiatric Association, not the American Psychological Association. Two different organizations with names that look similar.

Second, the first organization, the one that issues the manual in question, has admitted that they made an error and will correct it.

http://thatsnonsense.com/view.php?id=1785
The posting on the rumor page says the "rumor" is untrue -- it is not: as they noted, the text was published by the APA as was claimed.

As for it being an error: I'd like to see an explanation of how this error occurred; it certainly isn't a typo or the simple omission of a key word, or even phrase. I am having a hard time thinking of how this could be an honest mistake. Speculating, an unauthorized change by a rogue writer or a trial balloon that was floated and retracted in the wake of extreme backlash seem to be far more likely explanations.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Mike-905381 said: I see. So this is where I'll bow out of further interaction with you on the topic. Good day.
So you find it necessary to ignore most of what I said and focused solely on what you did not like.

Thanks for proving the point I made that you disagreed with.

Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: So you find it necessary to ignore most of what I said and focused solely on what you did not like.

Thanks for proving the point I made that you disagreed with.

I think he is reacting to your harsh attitude Paul. boggled
Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said:
Th unions fight merit pay. I coiuld go on and on. And any indiividual teacher or group of teachers fighting this has my undying gratitude. But they are strictly a minority. If not in your particular case, that would be one of the very rare exceptions in the whole nation.

You are right!
Posts 41 - 50 of 62