Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Nov 3rd 2013 new
>Yes, there are some situations where God calls a Catholic to marry a non-Catholic, and one should not reject this calling because of the disparity of faith; however, such a calling is something that must be discerned on an individual basis (as should any consideration of marriage), not assumed because inter-faith marriages have worked for other people.

Jerry, how could you possibly know this?

If the Church tells you not to marry someone who is not a Catholic, but what stretch of the imagination should someone be able to take it upon themselves to believe that God is asking him or her to do exactly what the Church is telling him or her not to do?

Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-860764 said: I know a man who became a Catholic Priest after marrying his wife. I think it took him like 14 years to convert, when he did......he was ALL IN....if you know what I mean.
And actually he is the reason I went back to the Church at age 48 to get my confirmation. You never know.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
My ex was not catholic he eventually converted but it was too late for our marriage and he still held a lot of protestant views after he converted. I think life is hard enough......adding to the mix a non catholic husband makes it even harder. But still every situation is different. You might meet a non catholic that agrees with most of the teachings of the catholic church and is a decent honest faithfilled man. At this point in my life I know for me I want a catholic man that believes in all the teachings of the catholic church and loves Jesus more than anything.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
Hi Michele, I think you should go along with your gut feeling. Your daughters opinions has merit.
Just because a man is not a Catholic does not make him "off limits" When I was in the active Air Force I made many friends from all religious backgrounds. Mormon was the most different of all but good Christian hearted people. That is what counts, you learn more about your faith when you meet others. I was the most staunchest Catholic next to Paul when I came home from active duty. In the southwest is one of the Catholic of all areas. I dated women of different faiths, and it was a very pleasant experiences. But I never forced them to convert. WWJD, what would Jesus do, HE met and talked with men and women of all backgrounds.
Perhaps when you men of different backfrounds you would get a different perspective on your Faith. If your Faith is solid, and I am sure it is, you will be fine.
Happiness to you Michele
Michael
Nov 3rd 2013 new
By far the worst hurtful L & R experience I suffered thru was when I was involved with a very devout Catholic woman.

By contrast I had a very enjoyable five-year involvement with a non-Christian woman.She was quite willing to marry me , but the problem was me , not her or her religious beliefs , far better to marry her , presuming I wanted a happy marriage than the Catholic GFFH I mentioned in the previous paragraph.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
I have to laugh, my nephew told me the same thing, he even added I should become a Nun, :-) While I too believe I would be happier with a Catholic man, I also know that what is really important to me is not that he is catholic but rather that he is a real believer. I know plenty of catholic men who are not strong in their beliefs and God is not the center of their life. So for me, that level of love-of-Christ is more important to me than being catholic. I know it's hard to discern God will, I haven't found the formula for certainty, :-)
It may sound harsh, but knowing what is most important to me is my compass. If I ended up with someone where his faith is, 'only on Sunday', I would be constantly having to justify my commitment. So, I don't think I would turn away from the perfect man just because he isn't catholic but if Christ was not in the center of his life no matter how perfect I would walk away.
May God shine His face upon you and give you strength to persevere.
Maggie
Nov 3rd 2013 new
Yes, indeed! Your daughter has a valid point. Why not? you have nothing to lose. For those of us who have been on this site for many moons with little or no results, I plan to follow your daughter's advice.
Nov 4th 2013 new
Hi,
I had a long and tumultuous marriage to a non-catholic, he has since died. He was a hard working man who never interfered in my in my spiritual life but he never joined me either. This affected my children's catholic education as he was not interested in attending any of their Christian milestones. I found that very sad. I eventually met another non- catholic man, but I just could not reconcile myself to a man who did not share my beliefs, who even belittled them. We parted ways, I am happy in my faith and he has been left lonely and bewildered. Yes I guess some mixed marriages could work, but I want that wonderful feeling of my partner sharing in all aspects of my life, most especially my spirituality. Irene
Nov 4th 2013 new
(quote) Irene-1023986 said: Hi,
I had a long and tumultuous marriage to a non-catholic, he has since died. He was a hard working man who never interfered in my in my spiritual life but he never joined me either. This affected my children's catholic education as he was not interested in attending any of their Christian milestones. I found that very sad. I eventually met another non- catholic man, but I just could not reconcile myself to a man who did not share my beliefs, who even belittled them. We parted ways, I am happy in my faith and he has been left lonely and bewildered. Yes I guess some mixed marriages could work, but I want that wonderful feeling of my partner sharing in all aspects of my life, most especially my spirituality. Irene
First post! Welcome to the fora, Irene.
Nov 4th 2013 new
I personally will not enter into another relationship with a non-Catholic. I married a very devout southern Baptist woman. We were young and in love. We thought we would figure it out...12 years later we never did. We attended a lot of different churches and different denominations during that time. I met a lot of great people along the way but at this point in my life I am only interested in meeting someone who will attend mass with me, share in the sacraments and grow in our wonderful faith together. There are a lot of great non-Catholics out there...I just don't want to enter into another relationship with that hanging over our heads.
Posts 31 - 40 of 93