Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Melissa-407647 said: Dear friends. A happy and blessed Sunday to you all. Is it a sin to attend mass while having influenza or cough? You know that you may spread the virus or infect other people in church with influenza virus even though you don't have intention to harm them. I know that while we are sick, it's OK not to attend mass. But is it a sin if we come to mass while we are sick?
No, but at the very least it's inconsiderate.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
I think you should attend mass if possible unless very ill. But if you go should avoid contact with others as much as possible.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: It's probably OK if you are wearing a burqa ... or sump'nlikit.
lol..........you always tickle my funnybone............I'm leaning towards not sharing your germs or viruses
Nov 3rd 2013 new
Melissa,

As Robert said and I know full well being a nurse practitioner, there is no way that you'll be able to drag yourself to church if you truly have the flu. It puts you down!! People confuse a "bad cold" or bronchitis with the flu. Flu keeps you out of circulation for days.

As others already said, cover when you sneeze and cough, sit away from others, don't shake hands, wash your hands often!!! and call or visit your primary care provider for guidance on your symptoms and what you have.

Ask your priest for guidance on whether it's a sin when you have a slight illness.

Chris
Nov 3rd 2013 new
And, on the way home, be sure to stop at David's kitchen for the lost and lonely for some hot sausage soup.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Robert-834944 said:
If it's a flu and you really can't get out of bed anyway... I was always told that God understands if you can't make it to mass due to severe illness, but you still need to devote some special time to God. You can try doing a Eucharistic adoration from home with the site savior.org. They have a webcam which always shows the Eucharist in exposition.
One year , ( along time ago) I got terribly sick out of someone else's inconsideration.
(From the first week of Jan through APRIL)! They should have stayed Home!

If I am terribly sick I watch The Sunday Catholic mass on:
" Heart of the Nation" out of Milwaukee WI., airing on ION TV ( early Sunday morning).
The email is: Mail@ HeartoftheNation.org
Hopefully there is a Catholic mass somewhere in everyone's viewing area!
*Find out before winter sets in, just in case!
Nov 3rd 2013 new
Having a cold or the flu excuses you from your obligation to attend Mass.

Catholic apologist Jimmy Akin wrote a post on the issue several years ago.

jimmyakin.com

Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) David-364112 said: Not a sin, but if one is in a very infectious state and there's no place in the church to sit away from others, it might be best to stay home. There is usually a mass that's sparsely attended or a church that's so big that the sick person can keep a few pews away from the others.

Many respiratory infections can be spread via contaminated surfaces, so even if the infectious person is the only one in the church at the time, others who come in contact with the same surfaces later could acquire the infection.

Nov 3rd 2013 new
I would not go as far as to say it is a sin, but it may not be very considerate depending upon the situation. If I am ill and believe I have a communicable disease, I try to find a large, relatively empty church and sit somewhere away from other people as best as I can. Many inner-city parishes have plenty of empty pews and have room for one more person. Even a fairly well-attended parish may skew toward being more crowded near the exit to the parking lot, resulting in empty areas away from the doors. An early morning Mass may be less crowded than the 10 or 11 AM Mass.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
I don't see how it can be if you are ill. I know my friend's mom doesn't always attend mass because she has really bad arthritis in her legs. It's difficult for her to walk up and down stairs and to sit in the pew for a long time. She's 81.

One winter, we had a priest who mentioned during his sermon that an elderly parishioner called the rectory all upset. There had been a bad winter storm that left a lot of ice and she was nervous about falling on her way to mass. The priest said it was okay to stay home under those circumstances. People can use common sense.

Everything isn't a sin.
Posts 11 - 20 of 37