Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

This age group would have different needs from younger Catholics, as far as saving money. Can you think of some different ways to save money? If we put our heads together, maybe we could compile some good ideas. These can be small ideas or large:
Nov 03 new
Here are some simple ones that most everyone probably already does: 1. Scan your advertising mail for coupons. Keep them all together and in a safe place for when you need them. Watch out for grocery coupons that may still end up in a higher price for an item, than purchasing a generic product of equal value. 2. Be aware of discount benefits that are offered through memberships, like The AAA, Costco. 3. Plan your major purchases around times that there would be discounts. For example, the best time to buy an automobile is at the end of summer, or early fall, when the next year of autos are being shipped to dealers. Assuming that you would be willing to buy a 2013, when 2014's are also on the lot.
Nov 03 new
Here are more: 1. When you go to the grocery store, make a plan first. Make a list of everything that you need, and stick to it. I find that if I am creative mode at the grocery store, and put things in my cart that "look good," that is when I spend more money there than I should have. Also, make sure that you have your coupons with you before you go there.
Nov 03 new
I just make soup out of ketchup until I have money again.
Nov 03 new
You can stretch rice and vegetables all week if you don't have money for meat.
rose heart goldfish
Nov 03 new
1. If you are 55 or greater always ask if there is a senior discount. The worst that can happen is that they will say no.
2. Try to pay cash if possible and ask if there is a discount for cash.
3. Cook from scratch whenever possible. Cook regular size batches even if you live alone and freeze what you don't eat.
4. Learn to like beans. They are cheap, nutritious and filling. (Hint - there are 2 herbs epazote and ajwain - that reduce the gas-producing property of beans). Beans are good in soup and really good when combined with homemade spaghetti sauce.
5. Carry enough insurance for home and car as well as medical just in case.
6. Don't ignore maintenance on your home, car and appliances. This saves money in the long run.
7. Have your taxes prepared by a CPA. The LESS money you have the MORE you need expert advice to keep enough of it.
8. Take advantage of your library for books, movies, music and events such as lectures or concerts. Colleges and community centers often have classes or events of interest to seniors and many are free.
9. Have a friend or relative to exchange clothing, garden produce and other things. Your leftovers may be boring to you but new and interesting to someone else. Christmas cookie exchanges are a good example.
Nov 03 new
I like to shop on Amazon.com. You can compare prices and even buy something used (like a dvd, cd) that is "like new" only a lot cheaper. I've bought things on there where I basically paid for shipping only. Sites like Amazon and Half.com can help you buy books cheaper if you are taking college courses. Textbooks are outrageously priced now.

I think many people today avoid the high cost of the movies and wait for it to come out on dvd where they can rent it.
Nov 04 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: I just make soup out of ketchup until I have money again.
Vegetable juice is the best soup base ! And it is cheaper per ounce!
Nov 06 new
GroupOn, DealChicken, LivingSocial - these sites highlight local deals for restaurants, auto work, services (nails, haircuts, massages, ) entertainment (movies, bowling), merchandise, etc. Google each one and sign up for the deals for your area.

I buy many of the restaurant and entertainment ones - pay $15 up front and get a certificate for $30 worth of food/drink - or pay $20 for 2 hours of bowling for up to 6 people - for when I treat myself with the kids and/or friends.

Restaurant.com is another one - check their lists for places near you, you may be surprised at what you can save. My kids have a favorite pizza and beer place near us - we haven't paid full price for anything there in a few years now.
Nov 07 new
(quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: 3. Plan your major purchases around times that there would be discounts. For example, the best time to buy an automobile is at the end of summer, or early fall, when the next year of autos are being shipped to dealers. Assuming that you would be willing to buy a 2013, when 2014's are also on the lot.
not trying to disagree..but just Clarify..
buying a Car and getting a discount on the New 2013 model really isn't getting a good deal...even if you buy it at Invoice.
Once you drive off the lot.. you literally lose about $1500-$2000. in value.
If you really want/need a new Car probably the time of Yr to get the best deal is mid-end of Dec when Dealers are trying to hit Month end and Yr end Sales #s.
The best deal on a Used Car is probably one 2-3 yrs with average miles. It has already depreciated the 15-20% from the New Price and the depreciation is less from Yr 2-5.
biggrin
Posts 1 - 10 of 45