Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Would you consider marrying someone with chronic financial problems? Someone who works very hard, but always out-spends the earnings? Someone who over the course of several years who has been through bankruptcy, needed help with mortgage payments, utilitly bills, car payments? Someone who has adult children, but still feels the need to help them financially?

Thanks for your thoughts
Nov 6th 2013 new
excellent topic..............my two special needs sons soak everything from me.

To answer your question............I dunno.
Nov 6th 2013 new
If the problems were related to devastating injury or illness, natural disaster or the like I would marry him and help with the expenses. If problems were due to addiction I would run in the opposite direction as fast as I could. Overspending is in the middle. I know many people who spend their paycheck even before it is cashed; they have to have the newest, biggest, best and most of every material possession. I couldn't live like that. I might get to know this person and tell him about my parents who lived through the great depression. I've never known if they taught me to manage money intentionally or if I just absorbed their lifestyle. I would try to explain the benefits of living within ones means, paying cash whenever possible and using credit wisely and about saving for a rainy day/retirement. I would also talk about spending a reasonable percentage of my income on my church and church-related charities and how God will not be outdone in generosity.

If this person were not willing to change his spending habits there would be no future for us. I'm sure this is a very difficult habit to modify but I cannot spend the rest of my life arguing about money.

Nov 6th 2013 new
(quote) Richard-134127 said: Would you consider marrying someone with chronic financial problems? Someone who works very hard, but always out-spends the earnings? Someone who over the course of several years who has been through bankruptcy, needed help with mortgage payments, utilitly bills, car payments? Someone who has adult children, but still feels the need to help them financially?

Thanks for your thoughts
Hi Richard! It's my understanding that the two things people fight most about in a marriage are sex and money. I am not cheap by any stretch of the imagination; thus, I have often thought that I would need to marry someone who is a little more materialistic than myself. With that said, spending habits are just that! If a person is accustomed to living his or her life that way, it would cause serious concern for me. I refuse to fight, in almost any situation. So, for me, I would not choose to hitch my wagon to anyone who cannot control their spending habts. We are all subject to a "budget" - whether by choice or circumstance. Outspending our limits can have devastating results, in my opinion! Chelle
Nov 6th 2013 new
I should have said that, although I do not consider myself cheap, I do spend and save relatively wisely - at least as much as I can within my means!! Of course, people can have devasting financial situations that are a result of circumstances beyond their control. I would consider such, as life sometimes just happens!
Nov 6th 2013 new
And that would be *spending habits.... Got interrupted by a phone call - from my financial advisor, no less!!
Nov 6th 2013 new
NO!!
Nov 6th 2013 new
red flag
NO
Nov 6th 2013 new
Nope.
Nov 6th 2013 new
(quote) Richard-134127 said: Would you consider marrying someone with chronic financial problems? 
Thanks for your thoughts
I think that a number of atypical characteristics appeal to me....BUT THAT AIN'T ONE OF 'EM. boggled
Posts 1 - 10 of 134