Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

boys without dads

Nov 14th 2013 new
you guessed it..............this is my biggest source of 'catholic guilt'.

Of course these forums and my recent study choices have helped in this regard,
[not to mention several thousands spent of therapy] but the bottom line
is I cannot be both mom and dad. I am not a widow.............I adopted two brothers for my daughter.
Nov 14th 2013 new
Excuse me, Susan--do you have a question regarding it? What sort of responses were you looking for?
Nov 14th 2013 new
I'm confused, too. I'm a widow, and I think I've managed to be both dad and mom. It takes work to train yourself to think like a man, but it's helpful.
Nov 14th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: I'm confused, too. I'm a widow, and I think I've managed to be both dad and mom. It takes work to train yourself to think like a man, but it's helpful.
Marge a woman can no more be a father to a child than a man can be their mother, regardless of how hard they try. Obviously, a single parent can perform most of the duties of the other, but that is not the same as being the other.

Nov 14th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: I'm confused, too. I'm a widow, and I think I've managed to be both dad and mom. It takes work to train yourself to think like a man, but it's helpful.
GBU sweetie.................I guess my guilt stems from my choice to be a single parent and my youngest is such high risk for mental illness........
Nov 15th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Marge a woman can no more be a father to a child than a man can be their mother, regardless of how hard they try. Obviously, a single parent can perform most of the duties of the other, but that is not the same as being the other.

I agree with Jerry on this one. Fathering is qualitatively different and irreplaceable.
Nov 15th 2013 new
I'm raising my youngest, almost six, without a dad. Our divorce and annulment went forward when he was just 9 months old. My ex is slowly stepping up a bit more, and there are solid guys all around us in grandfather, uncles, cousins, etc...but no, none of that can trump a dad. I work hard to DO both, making it clear that I AM not both. It's tricky, but very important that my kids understand the difference.
Nov 15th 2013 new
(quote) Sam-427739 said: I agree with Jerry on this one. Fathering is qualitatively different and irreplaceable.
so do I, but mental illness and no reliable male relatives made this a BIG challenge
Nov 15th 2013 new
(quote) Rebecca-443773 said: I'm raising my youngest, almost six, without a dad. Our divorce and annulment went forward when he was just 9 months old. My ex is slowly stepping up a bit more, and there are solid guys all around us in grandfather, uncles, cousins, etc...but no, none of that can trump a dad. I work hard to DO both, making it clear that I AM not both. It's tricky, but very important that my kids understand the difference.
GBU....I constantly prayed/advertised/canvassed/waited years for a big brother who never materialised/prayed some more.............this boy is still totally dependent on me and anxious at 20
Nov 15th 2013 new
You haven't met me or my kids. wink

Perhaps what I mean to say is, it's possible to draw upon the best features of fathering and mothering and employ them equally well.

BTW, my deceased husband was a stay-at-home parent and a much better "mother" than I ever was.
Posts 1 - 10 of 35