Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Nov 29th 2013 new
I used to make waterfalls and ponds. It got me to thinking about "pondering". I bet the word came from some body sitting near a body of water, staring into its depths. Rather than getting snared by his own image, as was the fate of poor Narcissa, he or she found a stirring in their own depths. I think of how Mary "pondered all these things in her heart". Since Philosophy means "lover of truth" that would certainly make Mary one of the best. Ya think?
Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) Kathy-635104 said: I often wonder what to make for dinner, but it is not a subject I enjoy pondering.

Hi Kathy,

It sounds like the daily plotting of plans for the pots and pans is a theme too often repeated to make you a fan for a long run of performances. wide eyed

Glad that I'm not booked to cook forever, mischievous

John

Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) Larry-994477 said: I used to make waterfalls and ponds. It got me to thinking about "pondering". I bet the word came from some body sitting near a body of water, staring into its depths. Rather than getting snared by his own image, as was the fate of poor Narcissa, he or she found a stirring in their own depths. I think of how Mary "pondered all these things in her heart". Since Philosophy means "lover of truth" that would certainly make Mary one of the best. Ya think?
Your theologically on the mark I'd say.
Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) John-184825 said:

Do you often ponder questions in any academic discipline? If so, what questions in which discipline?

If you contemplate practical problems, your chatter about whatever matter is welcome unless it'll make us sadder or madder.

Worried that tomorrow is Sadderday,

John

I am pondering on a tight schedule... my latest engineering project for a client....

How to design a portable cell phone tower?....
> It has to telescope vertically from 9-1/2 feet to 80 feet (like a antenna on a portable radio).
> It has to lift 2500 pounds on the top of the pole.
> It has to be about 1 foot diameter (or 1 foot square) at the base.
> It has to be able to stop at any height and be secured in place.
> Ideally, it would be electric-powered to lift it from 9-1/2 feet to 80 feet.
> It has to be built for about $15,000. So far, one possible solution would cost about 10X that cost.
> It will have guy wires to keep it stable once it is raised.
> It has to stay in place for 1 week to 2 years.
> It has to be safely erected.
> It will be mounted on a large semi-truck or trailer.
> It has to be mass-produced at a few hundred per year.

I need a brilliant idea within a few days. scratchchin scratchchin scratchchin This gave me something to think about as I was driving to/from Thanksgiving dinner yesterday.

Ed

Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: I am pondering on a tight schedule... my latest engineering project for a client....

How to design a portable cell phone tower?....
> It has to telescope vertically from 9-1/2 feet to 80 feet (like a antenna on a portable radio).
> It has to lift 2500 pounds on the top of the pole.
> It has to be about 1 foot diameter (or 1 foot square) at the base.
> It has to be able to stop at any height and be secured in place.
> Ideally, it would be electric-powered to lift it from 9-1/2 feet to 80 feet.
> It has to be built for about $15,000. So far, one possible solution would cost about 10X that cost.
> It will have guy wires to keep it stable once it is raised.
> It has to stay in place for 1 week to 2 years.
> It has to be safely erected.
> It will be mounted on a large semi-truck or trailer.
> It has to be mass-produced at a few hundred per year.

I need a brilliant idea within a few days. This gave me something to think about as I was driving to/from Thanksgiving dinner yesterday.

Ed

Good luck, Ed! As I was reading the criteria, it reminded me of some of the FIRST robotics competitions I worked on. Of course, lifting a bag of balls is a bit less challenging than a 2500 lb. antenna array. laughing

Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) John-184825 said: I'd think that your habit of bringing philosophy to all considerations is preventative medicine in relation to boredom. If my comment induces you to start philosophizing about boredom, I wonder whether you will eventually conclude that boredom is really interesting?
Funny you should ask:

tinyurl.com
Nov 30th 2013 new
While neither academic nor practical, I ponder the night sky. When I see the lights of planes far off in the distance I wonder about the people in them, what types of lives they lead and what they are doing at that moment (I think similarly when I am passing homes or communities when on a train or during a road trip in my car). The funny thing is that it never crosses my mind to wonder about from where they came or to where they are headed.

I love looking at stars...like taking a long brisk walk or reading something spiritually edifying I always feel renewed, and perhaps a bit wistful, afterwards. I must admire from a distance, though, because thinking about the individual planets and suns, especially about their enormity, makes me uncomfortable! I liked hearing the recent news about ISON (sounds like it may still be around) but seeing those in-your-face images of our sun was unnerving. I think it's God's way to remind me how fragile life is, and how grateful I should be for His mercy!
Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) John-184825 said:

Do you often ponder questions in any academic discipline? If so, what questions in which discipline?

If you contemplate practical problems, your chatter about whatever matter is welcome unless it'll make us sadder or madder.

Worried that tomorrow is Sadderday,

John

If Joe Jr, John, and Bobby lived to an old age
Nov 30th 2013 new
When given the opportunity (aka time to let my mind wander), I think about nature and God's hand in it. Did He set it up to renew on it's own, like the circle of life, or does He sprinkle the frost in the morning and paint the sky at night? Does He take pleasure in his creations or is He more concerned about our reactions to it? Can an artist ever fully capture the essence and life in scenery or is that energy only afforded to the artist himself? When hunting, silently observing everything around me, I wonder what it would take to be the tree. Are the branches God's inspiration for antlers? How can there be so many variations of golds, browns, greens and blues? I wonder about light and shadow and how can I, just one little speck on this great big, beautiful earth, matter? If He knows how many hairs are on my head, does He keep up with the number that fall out? I wonder about a lot of things and then I wonder if everyone wonders about these things or am I just weird?
Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) Kathy-635104 said: When given the opportunity (aka time to let my mind wander), I think about nature and God's hand in it. Did He set it up to renew on it's own, like the circle of life, or does He sprinkle the frost in the morning and paint the sky at night? Does He take pleasure in his creations or is He more concerned about our reactions to it? Can an artist ever fully capture the essence and life in scenery or is that energy only afforded to the artist himself? When hunting, silently observing everything around me, I wonder what it would take to be the tree. Are the branches God's inspiration for antlers? How can there be so many variations of golds, browns, greens and blues? I wonder about light and shadow and how can I, just one little speck on this great big, beautiful earth, matter? If He knows how many hairs are on my head, does He keep up with the number that fall out? I wonder about a lot of things and then I wonder if everyone wonders about these things or am I just weird?
Actually, I think you are getting God's point. As an artist, If I have planted secret messages, special touches or hidden pictures in a painting, I don't tell anyone about them, I wait to see who "gets it"! And then I am delighted and proud of them and myself when they do! God the Father has poured so much Love out through His Creation, your wondering is the kind of thanking and requiting of that Love that Divine Justice requires. He made it all just for you.
How wonderful of you to wonder.
Posts 11 - 20 of 81