Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) Jane-933948 said: I ponder so many things as I am a dreamer. But I often ponder, Heaven and purgatory, sometimes even...hell. I wonder what my loved ones are doing, and how they are doing and how wonderful Heaven must be!
It seems that you ponder some of The Last Things first. Does that imply that you ponder the first things last? scratchchin
Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) Kerry-1020795 said: Sure, I sometimes think about philosophical problems, such as the mind-body dualism, the problem of free will, and other such stuff. For instance, I decide to play this song on my iPod, and my hand moves to hit the play button. How exactly do immaterial thought and the material body intersect with each other, through what physical or biological mechanisms do thoughts become actions? Nobody really understands it, not even the scientists who study this stuff for a living. Consciousness is truly a puzzle.

You mentioned free will.

One thing occurred to me about using the uncertainty principle to underpin free will. In relation to a man, free will means free (or free enough) from everything outside of him without being free of him. That is, by free will someone is saying that his free will belongs to him and cannot do its own thing against want he wants. If free will acted analogously to the uncertainty principle, it would do its own thing independently of the particular person in which it resided, but that is not what we understand as "free will". scratchchin cool

Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) John-184825 said:

You mentioned free will.

One thing occurred to me about using the uncertainty principle to underpin free will. In relation to a man, free will means free (or free enough) from everything outside of him without being free of him. That is, by free will someone is saying that his free will belongs to him and cannot do its own thing against want he wants. If free will acted analogously to the uncertainty principle, it would do its own thing independently of the particular person in which it resided, but that is not what we understand as "free will".

Yes, I think that's true. I saw a lecture in which John Searle used quantum uncertainty (that is, randomness) to underpin free will. Uncertainly gets him around the problem of determinism, but a roll of the dice is qualitatively different than what we experience when exercise our free will.
Nov 30th 2013 new
My favorite thing to ponder is the history of ideas. When did this or that idea or philosophy become popular in a culture? What might the origin of the idea be found? I am very interested in studying the Protestant "Reformation", the ideas present in society that led to this event and the ideas we've since "internalized" in our culture as a result. Very interesting!
Nov 30th 2013 new
My favorite thing to ponder is the history of ideas. When did this or that idea or philosophy become popular in a culture? What might the origin of the idea be found? I am very interested in studying the Protestant "Reformation", the ideas present in society that led to this event and the ideas we've since "internalized" in our culture as a result. Very interesting!
Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) Kerry-1020795 said: Yes, I think that's true. I saw a lecture in which John Searle used quantum uncertainty (that is, randomness) to underpin free will. Uncertainly gets him around the problem of determinism, but a roll of the dice is qualitatively different than what we experience when exercise our free will.
An remark about free will that was fascination to me was made in a book by Allan Bloom. I don't think that he would say that his comment was anything more than an educated opinion. His claim was to the effect that the people who take a strong stance about their right to free choice are in general the same ones who come up with excuse for their negative actions; that is, the same ones who say that they were not really acting freely when they are found out to have done something wrong. Or as people say when they testify before Congress, "Mistakes were made". eyebrow rolling eyes
Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) Kerry-1020795 said: Yes, I think that's true. I saw a lecture in which John Searle used quantum uncertainty (that is, randomness) to underpin free will. Uncertainly gets him around the problem of determinism, but a roll of the dice is qualitatively different than what we experience when exercise our free will.
An remark about free will that was fascination to me was made in a book by Allan Bloom. I don't think that he would say that his comment was anything more than an educated opinion. His claim was to the effect that the people who take a strong stance about their right to free choice are in general the same ones who come up with excuse for their negative actions; that is, the same ones who say that they were not really acting freely when they are found out to have done something wrong. Or as people say when they testify before Congress, "Mistakes were made". eyebrow rolling eyes
Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) John-184825 said: His claim was to the effect that the people who take a strong stance about their right to free choice are in general the same ones who come up with excuse for their negative actions; that is, the same ones who say that they were not really acting freely when they are found out to have done something wrong. 
You're right!
Nov 30th 2013 new
I have been pondering and have just begun a"study" on God's grace, and yes, I know, it will be limitless wink
Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) Gilbert-994253 said: I think, therefore I am

That's close to my motto: I think, therefore I spam.

Would you expect anything less from somebody who used to work at Dana Corporation near Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg?

Posts 31 - 40 of 81