Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: You must sign in before expressing interest in this event.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Nov 30th 2013 new
I have pondering on the planet Mars. I also go beyond that to all the new planets that have been discovered.
However Mars is rather sad in it's own way, No life is there, and yet tons of people have signed up to get a one way ticket to go to Mars!
Dec 1st 2013 new

Well, John, I have several thoughts in regards to your reply, but first I'd like to acknowledge the redundancy in my last post...what painting doesn't have a picture in it? Ha ha. I could picture paintings with hidden pictures and that is what I was referring to, but I'm assuming people got it as I haven't been called out on it.

My next thought was when you said not even animals experiencing enjoyment. My brother-in-law had two young deer that came out and played in front of him everyday. He watched them romping and scampering all about for at least two hours each day. We dubbed them the twins and there was no way he wanted to shoot one and leave the other alone. It was pretty cute.

Beyond horizons...what we can't see, yet. Some of us can't see the forest for the trees. To me, all that is beyond our sight is there to be discovered. It's like setting expectations, without them we wouldn't attempt to reach or be pleasantly surprised when we surpass them.

And your difficult question regarding what sort of life to choose for our children. It reminded me of a Star Trek episode where the children never grew up, a place adults were not allowed. I would have to pick the second option. I hate to see a child, or anyone for that matter, suffer from pain, poverty or illness. Without it, we wouldn't know empathy or the need to reach beyond our comfort zone to help. We would be lacking all the reasoning which commands social justice. To not have a society that cares, or knows love would bring about anarchy and injustice. As Larry pointed out in a different thread, loving is as close to God-like as we can get. I certainly would want my children to experience that.

Dec 1st 2013 new
(quote) John-184825 said:

That's close to my motto: I think, therefore I spam.

Would you expect anything less from somebody who used to work at Dana Corporation near Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg?

John you rock! I've lived here my whole life and still cannot say it, or spell it ! We locals just call it Webster Lake, with our New England twang of course !!!!!!
Dec 1st 2013 new
(quote) John-184825 said: It seems that you ponder some of The Last Things first. Does that imply that you ponder the first things last?
Not really John, I ponder many things, as I said. But this is what I ponder most often, as last is where I want to be one day...there, forever, as opposed to death forever. scratchchin crossfingers angel
Dec 1st 2013 new
(quote) Barbara-863769 said: I have been pondering and have just begun a"study" on God's grace, and yes, I know, it will be limitless
that's what I work on too
Dec 1st 2013 new

I have preliminary questions.

1. Do the various sites to which and from which the portable structures with be moved require some preliminary work such as a flat secure foundation of concrete and, if so, will this be part of the cost?

2. How likely is it that once the portable unit is moved away from a given site that it (or a similar unit) will ever again be moved to the same site; this is, will site use almost always be one-time?

3. Can the supporting portion of the structure remain at a height of 80 feet (until the whole portable system is relocated) and have the antenna and the 2500 pounds of whatever "slide" up and down that supporting structure? If this can be done, you might be able to use counter-weights as is done with commercial elevators to make the lifting easier.

4. Does the antenna actually have to stop and be secured at every point (a continuum) or would the ability to stop only at a largest practicable increments, such as six inches, be acceptable?

Wondering about the relationship between lifting ideas and soaring thoughts,

John

Hi John,

Thanks for your interest. I enjoy solving these problems, but I could do without the tight schedules.... But that's just normal.

Concerning your questions...
Q1. Do the various sites to which and from which the portable structures with be moved require some preliminary work such as a flat secure foundation of concrete and, if so, will this be part of the cost?

A1. The foundation will be made flat and secure. This is not part of the $15,000 cost. There will also be large outriggers on the truck or trailer to keep it from tipping. This is not part of the cost. There will also be guy wires to stabilize the mast once it is erected. They will probably be anchored to the ground with heavy concrete blocks. This is not part of the cost.
---------------
Q2. How likely is it that once the portable unit is moved away from a given site that it (or a similar unit) will ever again be moved to the same site; this is, will site use almost always be one-time?

A2. The site may be one-time use or multiple-time use. In a natural disaster sort of situation, it would probably be in place one time, until a more permanent structure is installed. This could be 1-2 years. In an "event situation" (like the Boston Marathon, Super Bowl or World Youth Day) it may be installed year after year, but likely not in exactly the same location.
------------------
Q3. Can the supporting portion of the structure remain at a height of 80 feet (until the whole portable system is relocated) and have the antenna and the 2500 pounds of whatever "slide" up and down that supporting structure?

A3. The 2500 lb. payload (on top of the mast) has to be elevated when the mast is elevated. As soon as it is fully erect, the guy wires will be anchored and someone in a separate cherry-picker basket will be lifted to make final adjustments and to manually attach other smaller antennas and receivers to the mast at lower elevations.
-----------------
Q4. Does the antenna actually have to stop and be secured at every point (a continuum) or would the ability to stop only at a largest practicable increments, such as six inches, be acceptable?

A4. I believe that stopping at increments will suit their needs. I suspect that the increments would have to be somewhere between 3" and 6". These small increments are necessary sometimes in order to avoid reception and transmission interference with nearby buildings, structures, trees, etc. My current "best" idea involves lifting it in small increments. My client currently has a shorter mast structure that uses a single hydraulic ram up the center of the mast (to lift each section separately), but it has deficiencies that they hope to avoid in the new design... one deficiency being that it cannot lift in small increments.
------------------

I hope that you enjoy your Sunday.

Ed

Dec 1st 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Good luck, Ed! As I was reading the criteria, it reminded me of some of the FIRST robotics competitions I worked on. Of course, lifting a bag of balls is a bit less challenging than a 2500 lb. antenna array.

Thanks Jerry. I always enjoy the "never been done before" type of projects, but they can be a bit stressful when some sophisticated sort of invention has to be created, manufactured and installed on a tight schedule.

Hope you have a great Sunday.

Ed
Dec 1st 2013 new

One thing that I wonder about is why God created all the seemingly extra things such as the portion of the universe beyond the so-called "horizon", the part we can never see. 

Another thing I ponder is this question. Which of these two situations would you choose for children if it were in your power to bring it about?

1. All children from this point forward in time are saved from all suffering through their adult years, but at the cost of never knowing (or suffering from missing) what adult love is. They experience only enjoyment, but their enjoyments are only at the level of children such as the taste of cookies and the love children have for parents.

2. All children from this point forward suffer through their adult years as has always been the human condition, but with the possibility without the certainty, of experiencing adult love.

Did you just say, "No thanks! I heading back into the woods!"?

John

Re: 1st pondering: beyond the horizon-

Could it be He made that for His and, someday, our eternal enjoyment? could that be our dessert? beyond this earthbound first course?

Re: 2nd pondering: absence of suffering with immature love only or normal suffering with possibility of mature love

As a Don Quixote aficionada, I must opt for the quest! I believe the normal human condition leads us to Hope-The hope of mature love you mention above.

Thanks for the topic.

Dec 1st 2013 new
I love tech talk! I'd be curious to hear what you come up with.
Dec 1st 2013 new
Barbara
"Re: 2nd pondering: absence of suffering with immature love only or normal suffering with possibility of mature love

As a Don Quixote aficionada, I must opt for the quest! I believe the normal human condition leads us to Hope-The hope of mature love you mention above."

For myself this leads me to pondering the quandary of those who, through no fault of their own, had been so traumatized by early childhood horrors that they are literally crippled emotionally. For them, trust is just a word normal people use to describe something they can not longer experience. They are so wounded by life that they just seek to survive future pain. They are continually suffering, but not from love, just suffering without any real hope of real love. I think of how hard and sad this is. How only a moral miracle can intervene. And how much prayer they need for they are already in a form of purgatory now. How huge is their quest... "To reach the impossible star"

Then I think how all of us are exactly there to some degree or another.
Posts 41 - 50 of 81