Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

tinyurl.com

Do fewer men assist at Mass because the Mass is so feminized? December 9, 2013

Posted by tantamergo in abdication of duty, Basics, catachesis, Dallas Diocese, episcopate, error, foolishness, General Catholic, Latin Mass, Liturgy, scandals, secularism, self-serving, the return.
trackback

I had written a long post around this picture, but WordPress ate it. In a nutshell, there is a great deal of evidence that the Novus Ordo Mass is far more appealing to feminine perspectives than masculine ones. There are numerous reasons for this, but the changes were very intentional and their impact was not unforeseen. Men used to be the predominate leaders in the Church both clergy and lay, but now the lay side is dominated by women. Daily and Sunday Mass attendance often sees huge imbalances between men and women.

Are men turned off by the Novus Ordo, or is mens lack of involvement in the Church due more to cultural factors, or bad catechesis? I would say yes, and I feel there is clear evidence (lost in my original attempt to post) that the Novus Ordo in and of itself, absent the many permitted abuses like girl altar servers is much less masculine in its orientation, prayers, the sense it conveys, etc.

Men have a certain inherit desire to be both leaders and to sacrifice for a greater cause. But we are also fallen, and seek to escape our responsibilities as leaders of Church and family and to enjoy ease and comfort. The TLM appeals to mens higher virtues more than the NO does. My own experience shows that the sexual imbalance so often seen at NO Masses is greatly reduced at TLMs. The ratio of attendance is much nearer 50-50 than the 75-25 or 60-40 seen in many new Masses.

The Mass is the primary mode of catechesis in the Church, and I dont mean the sermon. Yes, the prayers are very important, and the TLM prayers focus so much more on sacrifice, our need for conversion, propitiation, etc, that the sacrificial nature is much more strongly highlighted. But it is even more in the unspoken aspects of the Mass, the postures, blessings, signs of the cross, orientation, etc., that a great deal is conveyed. This is a Sacrifice. It is a huge mystery. These things appeal to men. The TLM is overtly masculine. The NO, as outlined in the Missal, is much less so. The NO as most men experience it, with numerous abuses and indults that undermine even the character of the Novus Ordo as promulgated, is profoundly feminized.

Sorry I lost the original post! I spent a fair amount of time on it!

Dec 9th 2013 new
Photos of New and Old Mass. veneremurcernui.files.wordpress.com
Dec 9th 2013 new
rorate-caeli.blogspot.com

The Devirilization of the Liturgy in the Novus Ordo Mass
[Exclusive article]

Fr. Richard G. Cipolla, Ph.D., D. Phil.(Oxon.)
Dec 9th 2013 new

The Devirilization of the Liturgy in the Novus Ordo Mass
[Exclusive article]

Fr. Richard G. Cipolla, Ph.D., D. Phil.(Oxon.)

The correspondence between Cardinal Heenan of Westminster and Evelyn Waugh before the promulgation of the Novus Ordo Mass is well known, in which Waugh issues a crie de coeur about the post-Conciliar liturgy and finds a sympathetic, if ineffectual, ear in the Cardinal.[1] What is not as well known is Cardinal Heenans comment to the Synod of Bishops in Rome after the experimental Mass, Missa Normativa, was presented for the first time in 1967 to a select number of bishops. This essay was inspired by the following words of Cardinal Heenan to the assembled bishops:

At home, it is not only women and children but also fathers of families and young men who come regularly to Mass. If we were to offer them the kind of ceremony we saw yesterday we would soon be left with a congregation of women and children.[2]
Dec 9th 2013 new
I am not sure that the NO Mass has been "feminized" but their seems to be a mania on "participation" and the "participants" seem to largely be women.

I like the notion that participation in the Mass can be just being there and following with heart, mind and soul. The priesthood of the people has also been taken to a level where the priesthood is almost seen to lack relevance or importance.

When your are at Mass you very much participate. Don't be fooled into thinking that you need to read, play the drums, distribute the Eucharist or dance to participate in Our Lord's sacrifice.

Dec 10th 2013 new
(quote) Gabor-19025 said: I am not sure that the NO Mass has been "feminized" but their seems to be a mania on "participation" and the "participants" seem to largely be women.

I like the notion that participation in the Mass can be just being there and following with heart, mind and soul. The priesthood of the people has also been taken to a level where the priesthood is almost seen to lack relevance or importance.

When your are at Mass you very much participate. Don't be fooled into thinking that you need to read, play the drums, distribute the Eucharist or dance to participate in Our Lord's sacrifice.

thumbsup
Dec 10th 2013 new
I am puzzled by this thread and we have almost only male assistance
at our parish as our filipino pastor insists on it.

All the menial jobs are done by women.
Dec 10th 2013 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: I am puzzled by this thread and we have almost only male assistance
at our parish as our filipino pastor insists on it.

All the menial jobs are done by women.
Probably not the norm.Haven't you ever been to another Parish.
Dec 10th 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: Photos of New and Old Mass. http://veneremurcernui.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/1480563_685441514811339_573732977_n.jpg
Honestly - to me anyway - the first one at the top (Old Mass) looks more like a broadway show on a stage than a mass.
The second one (New mass) is merely sensationalism trying to make the top one look more legit.

If you are using either of these pictures as proof of the differences between the Old and New masses - I would have to take into question exactly what your concept of "norm" is.

Dec 10th 2013 new
Can you please explain why girl altar servers are so frowned upon by the TLM folks? I am assuming it relates to training young men for the priesthood. So.. the only purpose of having altar servers is to encourage vocations to the priesthood???
A shame..one of my great joys is serving as a reader or (gasp) Eucharistic Minister when my beloved daughter is serving her Church as an altar server at the same Mass.
Posts 1 - 10 of 131