Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

Jan 9th 2014 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: I'm so glad I went through this process and then left it in God's hands -- I'm so glad it's over -- I'm so glad I can be free of the obligation to behave as if I were still married to him -- I'm so ready to move on -- I'm free!
Congratulations!!
Jan 9th 2014 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: After the investigation into your petition, were you offered a chance to review the case, offer comments and rebuttal? Did you go do this? Is it better to do this or not bother? I don't want to slow down the case whatsoever, but even though it is a pretty straightforward case, I don't want to mess it up. I just don't know how I'll find time in the next 10 days to get to Erie during office hours! I'm so happy this will soon be all behind me! Please offer any advice and information you think will be helpful!

Hi Rachel,

It was worth it. From a paperwork standpoint, it was not as difficult as I had anticipated. Both parties receive the questionnaires. My ex did not respond, so the Tribunal based their decision on my petition, family and friends feedback, court documents.

The waiting was the most difficult for me; but not the paperwork or interview.

A year later, I received my annulment. It freed my mind and gave me a sense of starting all over again.

Obviously, acquiring an Annulment allows you to re-marry in the Catholic Church. That is very important to me.

All the Best.

God Bless, Rose

Jan 11th 2014 new

My annulment was so many years ago, things may have changed. I met with an annulment 'coach' three times. Her recommendations were vital. I was thankful she helped me through the process because it was difficult to look inward and see the errors of MY ways. shocked

I was sent a letter from the Tribunal after I submitted all of the paper work and they told me my witnesses did not build a strong case for me to be granted an annulment. I happened to have an appointment with my therapist and mentioned it to him. He told me he would take care of being my witness and he would be the only witness needed, since he saw both my ex and myself. The Doctor is a Catholic psychologist.

No joke... once he replied, the annulment was granted. pope

Mar 31st 2014 new
I can identify with your relief. I never wanted to go through this but I deserve it. I was irresponsible and not a very good partner...I prayed and loved them. I didn't want the divorce or the coming anulment! I never wanted to lose my kids, home and beautiful wife, but she prayed hard about it and said goodbye...

I'll be sad when it's over but relieved. We travelled the world together now someone else will be making her laugh.
Jul 17th 2014 new
I'm partway through this at the moment, and I'm conscious that most of the forum users are from the US, so the Diocesan rules are all quite different. The Australian case is much stricter!
I am the respondent in my case, and the case is on its way to Rome as the second instance court. Only after an consistent decision from TWO tribunals is an annulment decision "made", if the decisions aren't the same, then the marriage remains valid.
I am horrified by a few post I've seen where "if the paperwork is correct, the annulment is granted."... is that really the way it works in the US? Wow. Completely contrary to Canon Law!

Jul 17th 2014 new
(quote) Sarah-984501 said: I'm partway through this at the moment, and I'm conscious that most of the forum users are from the US, so the Diocesan rules are all quite different. The Australian case is much stricter!
I am the respondent in my case, and the case is on its way to Rome as the second instance court. Only after an consistent decision from TWO tribunals is an annulment decision "made", if the decisions aren't the same, then the marriage remains valid.
I am horrified by a few post I've seen where "if the paperwork is correct, the annulment is granted."... is that really the way it works in the US? Wow. Completely contrary to Canon Law!

No, that is not true - annulments are not automatic in this country. My annulment went to two different courts as well.

You have been misinformed.
Jul 17th 2014 new
(quote) Joan-1085686 said: No, that is not true - annulments are not automatic in this country. My annulment went to two different courts as well.

You have been misinformed.
I was told by my diocesan Canon Lawyer just two weeks ago that if the paperwork is complete AND several witnesses have responded affirmatively, there is a very high (almost 100%) chance that the marriage will be considered null by the first court. MOST of the time the second court agrees with the first court.
He also stated that most annulments that are not granted are due to lack of complete answers on the questionaire and/or lack of complete, affirmative, witness statements. He said he has a stack of angry letters from people whose annulments were not granted, due to the two aforementioned reasons.
Pope Benedict declared that there are far too many marriage annulments granted, especially in the U.S., so "yes" it is true, and she has not been misinformed.
Jul 17th 2014 new
(quote) Sarah-984501 said: I'm partway through this at the moment, and I'm conscious that most of the forum users are from the US, so the Diocesan rules are all quite different. The Australian case is much stricter!

That is incorrect. If the paperwork is correct, there can be no presumption that the annulment will be granted.

A canon lawyer may choose to make a comment or two of support for a particular petitioner. Perhaps someone's case is looking good. The canon lawyer wants to offer reassurances. After all, it is a very personal process. However, the process here in the states guarantees no outcome for the sake of filing the paperwork.

As an example, I believe I just read someone above your post who completed the paper work and, initially, a declaration of nullity wasn't going to be forthcoming. There would be no grounds for a negative decision if the situation only required proper paperwork so that statement would be incorrect.

Jul 17th 2014 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: I was told by my diocesan Canon Lawyer just two weeks ago that if the paperwork is complete AND several witnesses have responded affirmatively, there is a very high (almost 100%) chance that the marriage will be considered null by the first court. MOST of the time the second court agrees with the first court.
He also stated that most annulments that are not granted are due to lack of complete answers on the questionaire and/or lack of complete, affirmative, witness statements. He said he has a stack of angry letters from people whose annulments were not granted, due to the two aforementioned reasons.
Pope Benedict declared that there are far too many marriage annulments granted, especially in the U.S., so "yes" it is true, and she has not been misinformed.
All I know is that here in the Cleveland Diocese, two different priests told me that annulments are not a sure thing. Mine went to two courts as well as to an outside professional who was granted permission to study my case. This was assurance that the whole process was being taken very seriously. The Tribunal remained in contact with me via phone calls or letters when they needed more info, etc.,.

Undoubtedly there are dioceses all over the country which play fast and loose with the rules, but I would not broad-brush every diocese. theheart

Jul 20th 2014 new
Rachel, I decided not to fill the numerous paperwork of the Annulment because it was bringing back all the bad memories and I didn't want to relieve it all over again and then to have some of my friends also get their feedback on my failed marriage. I don't know if every Annulment is the same in every parish, it should be an open and shut case, but it wasn't for me, so I chose to not to request for one at this time. It's much too painful for me to endure and then having to wait for months or years as I was told for the final decision.

I say to you, do what is right for you and go on with your healing.

Posts 11 - 20 of 28