Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

I just spent over an hour drafting a carefully thought-out response to one of the forums - and blink - it just completely disappeared. There are frequently shown messages while writing a post that your draft has been saved - well, WHERE IS IT?
Dec 16th 2013 new
Certain versions of Internet Explorer (8+) I believe store it in the following hidden system folder:
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStore\

Firefox will tend to store it in the webappsstore.sqlite database file in the profile folder.

The storing of the information is an HTML 5 technique of storing the data on your local machine, rather than anywhere on CM's website (if that is the technique they are using).

I am not aware, but will look into it further today, of any end user way of easily retrieving the data - in the odd chance it may still exist on your machine.

Tough it does not help you retrieve your lost text the following may be beneficial in the future:
The "Backspace" on a Windows keyboard, and The large "delete" key on a Mac keyboard serve dual purposes in browsers such as Firefox and Internet Explorer.
When typing text the act to delete the text left of the cursor each time the key is typed.
When not in an editable area of the screen the key acts as the "Back" button of the browser, sending youback a page. I cannot tell you how may times I have been caught by this on many websites that contain form fields for entering data.

The following keystroke option might be of benefit - Ctrl + A, Ctrl + C (Select All) (Copy) as it allows you to maintain a copy of what you have typed on your clipboard which is easily under your control, unlike HTML 5's local storage.

Another option is the route a lot of other users here on CM use and that is to use an external editor to type the text thencopy and paste it into the forum when complete. The one potential problem (discussed in various threads heere on CM) is the use of smart quotes by many such editors taht you may want to consider.

Having just looked around a sec on the web it seems there is a Firefox plugin named "Foundstone":
Foundstone HTML5 Local Storage Explorer allows for viewing, modifying and deleting of data items stored in the browser's LocalStorage. LocalStorage is a client side storage technology introduced in HTML5.

I will be looking into this further later in the day, and see if there is a similar option for Internet Explorer and/or Chrome browsers. But it is in my personal opinion, that while these tools may make retrieving lost data easier going forward, that the local data you had, may have already been overwritten by other actions in your browser by this time.

Welcome to the world of HTML 5 - sorry you had to discover one of the potential pitfalls in its early adoption by the browsers.

Dec 16th 2013 new
I know how you feel. I have written much only to lose it. Never knew what happened. I was too tried to redo it. I just said forget it.
Dec 16th 2013 new
One easy way to avoid the "Back" from destroying ones typed text is on a full-sized (may have an equivalent on specific laptop keyboards) :
Windows: use the delete key rather than the backspace key.
Mac: use the small delete key above the arrow keys and below the help key toward the right of the keyboard.

Also keep in mind that a common habit of hitting the "tab" key to indent will remove the cursor from the editable text area - thus setting you up for the problem of hitting backspace and going back a page by accident. So be very careful of both the "tab" and "backspace" keys, especially in long posts that you do not want to lose.

Dec 16th 2013 new
On the Login page, is the box for "Stay signed in" checked or unchecked?

Months ago, I had spent a very long time composing a post, and when I went to submit it, it, too, just disappeared. Rather than just deciding this was God's way to show me I shouldn't share my thoughts, I asked Admin about it. They explained that, as I had the "stay signed in" box unchecked, the CM system automatically times me out of a session. Since that time, I have left the box checked, and have not lost any posts.

Maybe this applies to your situation as well.
Dec 16th 2013 new
Lina - it is helpful to know that the storage is at the "session" level rather than a shorter time frame. Thank you biggrin
Dec 16th 2013 new
The Following webpage describes how the local and session storage used by HTML 5 can be retrieved by the end user using either Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and or Internet Explorer.

wickedlysmart.com

The site offers screen shots of each of the browsers and their settings to assist in configuring your specific browser to be able to view the contents.

The only browser that requires an additional download is Internet Explorer - the others have the capabilities built right in to the browser for the end user to view the contents of the storage.

Internet Explorer must be version 9 or higher in order to use the tool referenced in the article.

Note: Though these tools provide a means of retrieving the stored data - that does not guarantee the data is stored, and all still may be lost irretrievably.
And as Lina pointed out - checking "stay logged in" can permit your browser to choose to save the data longer than it might without the box being checked.

Technically if the data is available, the way the forms are designed - they should automatically repopulate themselves with the saved data if it is able to - meaning that if the browser does not restore your data automatically, there is a high probability that it is because the text is no longer stored.

Dec 16th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: One easy way to avoid the "Back" from destroying ones typed text is on a full-sized (may have an equivalent on specific laptop keyboards) :
Windows: use the delete key rather than the backspace key.
Mac: use the small delete key above the arrow keys and below the help key toward the right of the keyboard.

Also keep in mind that a common habit of hitting the "tab" key to indent will remove the cursor from the editable text area - thus setting you up for the problem of hitting backspace and going back a page by accident. So be very careful of both the "tab" and "backspace" keys, especially in long posts that you do not want to lose.

If one does accidentally go back a page (or more) as you describe, they can often get back to to the post they were editing by using the browser's Page Forward button.(usually a right-pointing arrow).

Dec 17th 2013 new
Sadly, there isn't a standard for whether form data is present when you go back/forward - some browsers save it, some don't.

Also, you're mistaken on the "your draft has been saved" - messages have an auto-save feature, but not forum posts. What typically happens when I hear of this happening is someone accidentally moves the focus out of the text area and then uses backspace, which if you're not in an input field triggers the browser's "Back" function.

What I can do immediately is add in that if you try to navigate off the page with something written, it will show you a prompt.

I'm currently hunting for a text editor replacement - development on this has stopped, and new bugs have cropped up, which is a bad combination.
Dec 17th 2013 new
Testing
Posts 1 - 10 of 15