Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Dec 25 new
(quote) Margaret-20183 said: The same applies when removing the hull from black walnuts. I had to go to urgent care when some of the juice got in my eye. Man, did that HURT.

I also found out that wearing gloves when dehulling is more than a cosmetic matter. Not only did one fingertip turn black, but the skin eventually came off like a blister. At least I got to surprise (or horrify) those who saw me. Tee hee
And, that would be why black walnuts have for centuries been used to treat parasite infections and as a tanning agent for skins. . .
Dec 25 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Wear dark colored clothes when removing the seeds from a pomegranate.

And protective eyewear.

(My t-shirt and glasses now look like they have measles...)

LOL! But you should see the "other guy," right?
Dec 25 new
(quote) Margaret-20183 said: The same applies when removing the hull from black walnuts. I had to go to urgent care when some of the juice got in my eye. Man, did that HURT.

I also found out that wearing gloves when dehulling is more than a cosmetic matter. Not only did one fingertip turn black, but the skin eventually came off like a blister. At least I got to surprise (or horrify) those who saw me. Tee hee
Wow, I came for Pomegranets and got some very timely Black Walnut advice. I've got a yardful and a woods full of these things. Around here, some will drive their tractor over the nuts to hull them. I was thinking of using my car. Would the tires get blisters? A local priest here used to receive them from my neighbor and he would prepare them and sell them at the church festival as a fundraiser. I learned some interesting things...you can freeze them up to 2 years, and the trees drop every other year, so, God shows his hand again! Merry Christmas!
Dec 25 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: And, that would be why black walnuts have for centuries been used to treat parasite infections and as a tanning agent for skins. . .
Interesting. I never was big on laying out in the sun, but I could just see getting it wrong with the walnut hull dosage and having all my skin blister and fall off. Then I would be moaning "Oh vanity of vanities!" I wonder if throwing some hulls down in the cellar would get rid of the snake?

Sorry, Jer, I can't think of a segway back to Poms.

However, I do have a question...do people actually eat the seeds???? I was never quite sure.
Dec 25 new
(quote) John-559440 said: When we would eat pomegranates with the kids we always ate them in the back yard.
That would work in CA at this time of the year, but in MN the snowdrift would look like the scene of a crime, especially if Jerry was the one eating them. wink
Dec 25 new
From opening a black Walnut? eyepopping

Wow. Learn something new, would never expect this from a black walnut...huh...

Pomegranates are great BTW, but I admit I procrastinate when it comes to eating them...
Dec 25 new
(quote) Ginia-1026653 said: That would work in CA at this time of the year, but in MN the snowdrift would look like the scene of a crime, especially if Jerry was the one eating them.
Would that be the same MN snowdrift in which is lodged my (now former) wok, after my last attempt at stir fry, which included my getting distracted while heating the oil, and all the smoke in the kitchen, etc etc etc? flamed embarassed

Whatsa pomegranate, anyway? Someone told me to try an avacado last year, still trying to figure that one out boggled

Merry Christmas to all ye creative chefs Chef and brave souls who try eating new, different, and apparently quite messy, foods xmastree
Dec 25 new
(quote) Al-1036257 said: From opening a black Walnut?
Well, from taking off the husk. Trying to crack the nut presents all sorts of challenges requiring eye protection as well!!

I was using a nail brush to get leftover bits of hull off the shell because I read it's important to get everything off. It had something to do with decomposing hull creating too much heat, compromising the nut. That's how some got into my eye! The really funny thing is that the doc was having a hard time getting a piece of it out of my eye, until I figured out the piece was really a natural fleck of brown that's part of my eye color. It couldn't blame him though, because most of my eye color is bluish.
Dec 25 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: And, that would be why black walnuts have for centuries been used to treat parasite infections and as a tanning agent for skins. . .
I had known that the hulls discolor skin, but me being me didn't care! When the color was an acceptable shade I did put on latex gloves but one fingertip opened up. That is the point where I wish I did care because that tip turned black and got burned. I had to go around town saying "unclean, unclean" to warn people.
Dec 25 new
(quote) Ginia-1026653 said: Around here, some will drive their tractor over the nuts to hull them. I was thinking of using my car. Would the tires get blisters?
Hee hee. I tried running over the walnuts with my car but it didn't work that great. It seemed to take longer and didn't do much to the hulls. I think it's because the hulls were fairly ripe, whereas if they were green the weight of the car would have split them nicely.

Bear in mind that I would rather do things manually than with the aid of a machine. I can feel taking four hours to do something with a machine as being too long, but if it took me six on my own I don't mind. I must be part control freak!
Posts 21 - 30 of 118