Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 9th 2014 new
(quote) Barbara-863769 said: relish is still a noun

relish=food item to garnish his beast and fowl innards

with relish=adverbial prepositional phrase So the phrase is serving as an adverb, but relish is the object of the preposition "with" and can mean "gusto" (with what? with...gusto! so it's a "thing")

So Mr. Joyce the ultimate word player...uses a noun as an object of a preposition and it is a double-play! Take it either way...he keeps it NOUN both ways.

Mr. Bloom| ate | organs
\relish \{beasts
and
{fowls (prep "with' goes on sl line/prep "of" goes on sl line with double obj/and=dotted line)
oops!..... My diagram output didn't come off right! shhh

Sorry...must move |relish under the verb "ate" of course + \beasts and fowl must move under "organs"

My Sparkhill Dominican nuns would be gravely disappointed with Barbara's schmatics, here! YIKES! wide eyed
Jan 9th 2014 new

I assume it's intended to be adverbial, because Joyce was Irish and as far as I know, "relish" (as Americans define it) isn't something known in Ireland -- at least not in Joyce's time.

OTOH, I don't put two cents worth of faith in anything he wrote.

Jan 9th 2014 new
So, when are we going to read, from the North Atlantic coast of the New World, a Quoddy Shipping News or some such thing from an E Marge Proulx or some such person?
Jan 9th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

I assume it's intended to be adverbial, because Joyce was Irish and as far as I know, "relish" (as Americans define it) isn't something known in Ireland -- at least not in Joyce's time.

OTOH, I don't put two cents worth of faith in anything he wrote.

But...Marg, English teachers would say...doesn't matter....it is a NOUN....doesn't matter if it means gobbledygook...

That's why John named the topic Bragging Rights for English Teachers!! just saying! rolling eyes

I love diagramming aka parsing ...sigh...a dying art, i'm afraid! I loved when the diagrams would cover the entire blackboard and looked like architectural plans! Many of my visual learners loved it!!!! Not done anymore-so sad. weeping
Jan 10th 2014 new

As in ...........................................................................................................................................

"Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?" And the tentmaker became tentative for three days.

Jan 10th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said:

As in ...........................................................................................................................................

"Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?" And the tentmaker became tentative for three days.

scratchchin tongue
Jan 10th 2014 new
Is that 'jotting notes' as in 'writing something down' or 'jotting notes' as a pad of paper or something like Word or Notepad?
Jan 10th 2014 new
I like to talk
-somebody else be secretary, please
Jan 10th 2014 new

Excuse me, I don't secretary for nobody .......................................................................................................

But I'll be an amanuensis because it's a posh word.

Jan 10th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said:

Excuse me, I don't secretary for nobody .......................................................................................................

But I'll be an amanuensis because it's a posh word.

well, Roystan, we are a little shorthand-ed, sir!!!!!!
Posts 11 - 20 of 20